3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever felt this way?  (Read 404 times)

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
Ever felt this way?
« on: October 24, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
Today I just don't feel like going hunting.  This does not happen often for me but I just feel lazy and want to putz around the house.  I hunted Friday night and yesterday morning.  Last night I got soaked moving a stand and today it is cloudy and a chance of rain.  Maybe the dark day is doing this to me, but I am wondering if you every decided to stay home and just relax?

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever felt this way?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
I do!! And I think some time it is better that way. I realy belive in folowing my feelings!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
It's probably a good idea to go with your feelings.  You might be coming down with something, and need some rest to throw it off.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
Went to put up a new stand yesterday.  Spent over two hours and inside of a 100 x 100 foot area could not make a decision on where to hang one.  Its a tough spot to work with but my heart and head just were not in it.  I don't know why. Perhaps it is a "teacher thing"

I guess there are days....  I am sitting here writing this and have looked outside about 10 times in the last hour.  Its trying to rain and I should go to the woods.  

Yep.  Thats it.  I am going......
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
I feel like that a lot and every time I don't go I later wish I had.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
I do when it feels like summer like it does here right now. Did quite a bit of scouting and stand moving yesterday. I don't think there was a dry thread on me when I finished. If I stay home though, I always thinking I should have gone anyway.
bolong

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
I have the same feelings some days.  For me, I have to be careful to keep the hunting time in perspective.  I have at times been so driven to hunt that it made my family life suffer and really takes the fun and anticipation out of the hunt!  It can also start to turn into more of a "job" than an enjoying pasttime.  Balance is the key.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
You bet I have... There are times when I take week or so off from work just to bow hunt. After a couple or three days at it I feel unmotivated (even though I got some action) and need time with the wife. Then... I'll give it my best again.

Guess it comes with age. For me anyway.   :dunno:  

... mike ...

* PS... I think PICKNGRIN said it better.....
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
Yes I do from time to time.  I only get so much time to hunt anyway...with the family and all.  I have 2 young boys.  So I dont get out as much I would like to but I do stay in a relax or just avoid the bad weather.  But I also do have 4 1/2 months to deer hunt also.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
I have to be careful and not to turn hunting into a job.  If I don't feel like going, I don't go. This morning was my 20th hunt of the season but my season has been in since September 4th. The national average (according to surveys) is 23 hunts/year.  

The next three weeks will be the best hunting of the season here in KY and IN where I hunt. I expect to get in about 15 hunts during this time frame.

Once in a great while, especially if I've filled my buck tag I question hunting more for "just" another doe.

This year, unlike most years I am intending to stop hunting once the firearms season opens on November 13th. I'm hoping to concentrate on squirrels from December 1st through February.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
Why yes I have. We have a group of older men that hunt together. Every now and then one us will decide not to hunt that day and becomes camp mother. Camp mother takes care of thing around camp, cooking, cleaning up and just plain resting for the day. Some days it a toss up which is more satisfying . The hunt or the day off.  :dunno:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
Our archery seasons are too short in Wyoming to stay home a day. I gotta be out there!
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
I'd suggest you enjoy as many days as you can.

Our season in VT ends today,just before rut time.It just got into good prerut a few days ago and it's getting good out there.

I always feel pressured to go out because our season is way too short.Raining out so no ending night hunt for me.No deer for me this year either.I'd LOVE another two weeks right now.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
Yes.Believe it or not,I'm sitting in front of the computer right now!

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »
I love to hunt. The only thing that might compare for me is fishing .

If I just don't feel like going, I don't. If it gets to be no fun (due to weather, no activity or bugs) I lay off.

I understand the sentiment that seasons might be too short to miss a day, but life is too short not to enjoy everyday to the fullest. Even if that means sleeping in late and hanging out at the house.

Follow your heart, keep it fun.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
I remember having those same feelings after 30+ hunts with some being all day'rs and well towards the latter part of season.

Unless you are hunting for food, then hunt as your desire takes you. Many times one may loose the desire for something they once loved if not done in moderation and/or forced to repetatively do it.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
Funny! I feel the same way right now. So far I've seen four deer in three week of hunting. finding it hard to drag my butt out to the stand expecially in the evenings after work.

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
Well there must have been a reason in my head.  I got a lot done around the house and I think I gained permission for a rifle hunting spot for my dad and I (dad does not bowhunt so this is our hunt together).  The biggest thing is an hour before sunset the sky opened up and it started raining.  Now I feel like the smartest man in the world.  My wife looked at me and said I would not be very happy if I were in my stand right now.  I guess my old gut was right on this one.  Now for some relax time and watch the Packer/Viking game.  Go pack.  One last thing, I am very lucky to hunt a lot so missing one night is okay.  Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
Yeah, sometimes I just don't feel like dragging myself out of bed. This morning, for example, I just felt tired and uninspired, so I did not go. I love hunting, but it certainly is not a job that I feel compelled to do every single day. As I get older, I have more of these days. When I was younger, I could hunt day in and day out, spend up to 10 hours in the stands and was always ready to go at any time. Now, not so much.
Sam

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
Oh, if I abandon my plan not to hunt after gun season starts it will because of a reminder from a good friend.  He reminded me a couple of years ago that the kind of buck I want to hunt next year is live and well during the winter.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©