3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Colorado Elk hunt questions....help a brother out!  (Read 608 times)

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
Colorado Elk hunt questions....help a brother out!
« on: October 24, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
I am in the process of planning a elk hunt for 2011. I have put off going for one reason or another for the last several years.....work is to slow, too much work going on, not in good enough shape....you know the drill.

I turned 55 this past week and the time for excuses is over, I'm gonna go elk hunting come hell or high water! I figure if I plan the hunt now and set a date, it will keep me motivated to keep working out and keep practicing after the season.

What I need from you fellars is some ideas on areas to order maps for and to research. I don't expect anyone to give up their "honey hole" or to take me under their wing, but any info you can share will be much appreciated. I am open to the possibility of a drop camp hunt if any of you have experiences/recommendations.

I have researched outfitters for drop camps and am a bit overwhelmed. Obviously none of them post that they like to stick their drop campers in whatever spot is left over! LOL!! Everyone I researched noted that drop camps were their specialty! I have contacted some of the references listed, but have received very few responses. Not afraid to hike in on a DIY hunt either. Truck camping and hiking out daily is good too. You talk to 20 different fellars and you get 20 different ideas as to what is the best way to go. I trust the folks here on tradgang, so it is here I am asking for help.

I would be looking at a group of 3-4 traditional bowhunters and would like to hunt for at least 7 days, maybe up to ten days. I/we have all hunted in the midwest and Canada and none of us are "rookies" but when it comes to elk and hunting the mountains, I guess we are rookies at that!

Look forward to any and all you have to share! Thanks, Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Colorado Elk hunt questions....help a brother out!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
I'd start with the Colorado Division of Wildlife website. They have great stat's and maps.  Google maps are also great.  For me, DIY is a good way to go, especially if you will be fine with the hunting experience, and not be dissapointed if you don't bring something home. I've been out a few times, and have never had a bad hunt....have always been able to get into some elk.

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
I used to hunt around the Delores area. They have good elk numbers. It was pretty steep. If I were going for ten days I would plan on hunting two different places. I think it would be hard for three or four people to hunt one place for ten days without driving out the elk. You will notice that there are more elk the first couple of days. I would also hike in at least three miles. Gary

Offline Mike Hames

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
I have hunted north of Delores, around Groundhog lake in that public hunting area East of the lake in Fish and Big fish creeks. Groundhog creek south of the lake is good but you have to do a lot of walking.
I have taken several elk with bow in these areas and always saw a lot of elk. There are places to set up nice camps along the road from Groundhog lake to the Mesa, several miles to the east of the lake.
Good luck.

Mike

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
Some pretty good DIY areas on BLM land near Rifle/Meeker if you aren't looking for the next state record.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline critter69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
The better areas are going to require alot of prefrence points. But the area around meeker(white river national forest) is good. It is an area you have to draw for but my brother and nephew draw almost every year they apply.There is lot of public property and you can find a place to suite the way you want to hunt. Camp off the road and hunt from there,alot of trail heads(cant camp but you can park and hike in,and there are several outfitters that operate in that area.I dont know of any outfitterts,as we always park at a trail head and hike back in about five miles.Some years are good and some times we dont see an elk for a week.But thats elk hunting.Good luck and have fun.Oh yea and most years the last week of the season seems to be the best.

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 01:55:00 AM »
I have hunted in over the counter areas and in drawl areas in colorado and without a dought the best is in the wilderness areas and if they are a drawl it will be even better. Packing back in will get you into the best areas but you better be prepaired for that kind of hunt and if you get one down you have to get it out and that can be more than you may have bargined for. I did a packin hunt in wilderness area this year and it was a great hunt and riveled any guided hunt I have been on. So it depends on what you are willing to do and if it is a packin wilderness hunt you do not need as much stuff as you may think you do. If you need any help in what you will need pm me and I will let you know my suggestions on what you will need and give you any help I can now matter what just do it you will not regret it life is to short.  Widow

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 02:12:00 AM »
Mike please give John and his son Jacob a call from Mule Creek Outfitting, they are sponsers here mate.

I hunted with John last year before he bought his outfitting operation. John has hunted Elk and the rockies for the last 14 years so he kinda know what to do!

He and Jocob are salt of the earth and outstanding fellas hands down. Give 'em a call/email and see just what John can do for you mate.

Please PM me if you need anymore info.

Best of luck,

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 02:35:00 AM »
I hunted Unit 45 near Redcliff this year. It is an OTC unit. It was my first time hunting Elk and first time in the US. There were reasonable numbers of elk about and also good numbers of Mule deer. I would suggest getting a mule deer tag as well if you can for this area. You had to work for the elk but if you were prepared to put in the hard yards they were there.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I am looking at all options right now and you have given me more things to look into! Thanks again! Mike

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 02:13:00 AM »
The planning is all part of the Hunt mate. Enjoy... and do it! We are dead a very long time.

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 07:32:00 AM »
Mike - I have done 5 DIY Elk hunts in Colorado and would be more then happy to help you with any questions that you may have. I'm not sure who will be heading out in our group this year so we may even have a spot for you if your interested.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline arky714

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
I would hunt at least 10 days,I'am 64 ,hunt 2 or 3 days take half day off,then go back at it unless I'am in elk,the mountains will beat you down,be ready to move if there are no elk where you are camped,try unit 71,north of Delores or area around Durango..Most of hunting in September will be 9000 to 11000 ft in elevation so get your legs in shape..start walking in March as much as you can.Last week seems to be best to me..

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
Thanks again to all! Have sent a couple of pms.

arky714-am doing some research on unti 71, thanks!

Mike

Offline Tav

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
I can't get over how many good people are still out there.  I can't speak much for Colorado but I can for elk hunting.  make sure you are in decent shape. lungs and legs and lower back.

Offline pumatrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
Mike..definitely get the book from the CO. Division of Wildlife that gives bull to cow ratios..and estimated herd size..for the GMU you are considering.I'm a native Coloradoan for 56 years and have hunted for forty plus years...In my opinion the better areas are the draw areas...the number of hunters in some over the counter areas is way out of control.Good luck....

Offline Kip l Hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
Find a wilderness area so you get rid of the 4 wheelers.  Rent a horse from Sombrerro.  Might have misspelled that mexican word.  I think the going rate now is about $400 for horse saddle and the whole 9 yards.  They bring them to camp and pick them up.  Elk can move several miles over night and certainly during a week.  You are going to have a hard time keeping up with them on foot.  The horses are mostly all "killer" horses and for the most part pretty gentle.  If you get a bad one, Sombrerro will bring you a new one.  Best to practice riding some if you are not knowledgable.  

Drop camps are okay but if the elk are not on the mountain you are dropped on you are in a tough spot. A horse will let you cover a lot more ground with out wearing your self out.  

If you plan on spiking out learn a thing or two on making a proper pack.  I have hunted elk in CO every year but 4 since 1971 and improper and over loaded pack horses are almost a yearly experience.  Google up on proper pack horse procedures.

The last 2 weeks of season in CO are the best as you most often get a snow storm or at least cold weather.  The cold weather along with the shortened day light hours triggers the bugles of rut.

Learn how to use a diaphram call to make cow talk.

Good luck.

kip

ps, where is the spell checker when you need it?

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
I'm doing likewise.  I've been wanting to take my father hunting out west for years and things kept getting in the way.  We're finally pulling the trigger on a trip next year, Lord willing.  Is there any suggestions of units that would work for him that wouldn't require a lot of strenuous activity for him to reach?  Probably would be me dropping him off and him walking a few hundred yards to watch a meadow.  Drop camps, hiking in and steep terrain are not a possibility.

Offline bowgy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
Eagle mountain outfitters.  Jon only does drop camps.  I hunted 7 days and never saw another hunter and was into elk everyday.

Offline rightminded

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
I would not hunt 71.  It is overridden with hunters and atvs.  I hunted it for several years, bow or rifle with some success.  I went to Wyoming this year and am looking for new and less crowded areas.  I think the first or last weeks of the season should be best.  Mike, i am older than you and my days are numbered in the high country, but you should get in good shape.  Run 2 miles a day in under 19 minutes and do steps or hills with a 35 pound pack.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©