3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My First Turkey Hunt  (Read 286 times)

Offline d from phx

• Trad Bowhunter
My First Turkey Hunt
« on: October 24, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
Some of my Buddies are trying to talk me into Turkey hunting. I am a target competition shooter. What Broadhead should I try or use for turkey?

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My First Turkey Hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
Snuffer.

Offline Badwithabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
This spring i'm goin to use a bullhead... wack em in tha noggin... i mean if you gotta pick a spot y not pick the brightest spot in the woods?? kill zone isn't much larger in the body cavity than the noggin right??  I personally lost a bird last spring when he pitched off a ridge after a shot in the sweet spot. right above the beard.  just my .02
Brandon Moore
Rome,Ga

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
wack 'em in tha noggin' he says...

:biglaugh:  

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
I used a Wensel Woodsman for mine.  But like Mr. Moore posted above, mine also flew away.  Now my shot wasn't as far forward.  But the picture of that bird flying off the ridge with my arrow sticking out both sides is one I'll never forget.  I'm just fortunate to have had a great buddy who was helping me look for him.  He heard the turkey trying to make it up the next hill.  One more arrow and the turkey was mine.  Guru on here uses a string tracker.  It looks like that is the ticket.  Bought one, now I just gotta get it on my bow.  Back to your original question, the biggest one you can shoot and sharpen the best.

-Jeremy
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
Well, though I am no expert have harvested a few with my bow, one just last week matter of fact.  there are alot of tackle out ther anymore and from my experiance some are better than others on certain seasons.  In the last 12 years I harvested 10 turkeys with my gun and 7 with my bow, 4 with longbow and one with recurve.  In the spring, I belive that the turkey broad head I believe made by magnus with the three wide propellar blade work great, because you can much easier get the Tom to stick his head up and lope off his head.  This is the perfect and drop right there shot on any turkey.  However, during the fall, turkey's are bunched up in flocks and usually will only pop there heads up to look around out of curiousity or for danger and usually more than one. the above head works great, but I have shot then in the body, just because the head is down so I can draw safer from getting busted, either from ground or stand.  The kill zone on a turkey is about the size of a softball around the base of the wink if not little further back.  Any traditional broadhead works, but a 3 blade is better.  Like the guys above had two fly off and never found them.  You don't want the arrow as sharp as with deer or other game, because you want it to stay in them and hinder flight, remember cann't blood trail a turkey.  The string tracker works good and a buddy of mine used a camo bowfishing reel, that worked.  I did see in some old books that few guys tied on fishhooks to the shaft behind the arrow to assure it didn't go all the way through, but believe this to be illegal no, not sure.  Hope this helps and good gobblin!!

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by toddster:
You don't want the arrow as sharp as with deer or other game, because you want it to stay in them and hinder flight, remember cann't blood trail a turkey.
Couldn't disagree more...
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by bluegrassbowhunter:

Originally posted by toddster:
You don't want the arrow as sharp as with deer or other game, because you want it to stay in them and hinder flight, remember cann't blood trail a turkey.
Couldn't disagree more... [/b]
I'll second what Mark said...I couldn't disagree more...

Sharp is always a good thing when using BH's!!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
X3 what Mark and Curt said.

Sharper the better!! no different than any other animal.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©