3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A rainy hunting trip with my grandson.....  (Read 265 times)

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
A rainy hunting trip with my grandson.....
« on: October 25, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
Friday evening loomed dark and dreary. Storm clouds were gathering on the northern horizon and were being push toward us by a cold front. Just the direction Ben and I were heading. It didn't look good for our weekend hunt. I had promised Ben in September that we would hunt together the weekend of October 23rd & 24th. He had been looking forward to this time ever since. Even though Ben is seven years old, he has already developed the internal fire for archery and the desire to bow hunt. A youth longbow by Ed Mikuta had already started the spark that was naturally fed by a doting grandfather. So this was not a time for me to discourage him by staying home. Besides, Ben had his Gameboy and Old Maid cards if we were trapped in the trailer for any extended time.
As we headed north into Southeastern Oklahoma from our home in Texas, rain shower after rain shower slowed our drive. The occasional thunder and lightening could not dampen Ben's enthusiasm for the hunt.
We arrived at the camp and trailer that had been set up several weeks prior, unloaded our gear and went to bed. Thunder storms rolled during the night. By 6:00am they had subsided but it was still overcast and gloomy. After a quick breakfast of cinnamon rolls and chocolate milk, Ben was ready. We drove the 2 miles back into the Oklahoma woods and parked the truck in the early morning darkness. The rain had softened the dry leaves and made walking the 300 or so yards to our Double Bull blind seem as if were were walking on cotton. As the dark amber glow of the morning sun began to spread it's light, we settled into our respective place inside the cozy blind. For three and a half hours, Ben sat there intently watching and listening for any tell tail sign of an approaching critter. By 10:30am there had been none. We decided that we would go in for lunch and return about 2:00pm for the evening hunt. Mother Nature however, had other plans. By the time we arrived back at the trailer, it was raining pitch forks and puppy dogs. The wind blew, the trees swayed and the trailer shuttered when it thundered. Nothing to do but play cards. I must have been the Old Maid 47 times. By 4 o'clock Ben had decided that if he was going to be rained in, he would much rather be at his "Nanny's" house than stuck in a 13' trailer with his Pa Pa. Luckily the rain had slowed to a nasty drizzle and we went to pick up our blind. After a long, wet and very muddy trip, we backed into a small parking spot just off the road.

While our trip was not successful in the normal sense of the word, there were lessons learned by the young nimrod. Not all hunting trips end with game taken. Mother Natural can sometimes be cruel as we discovered the remains of a (cont)
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A rainy hunting trip with my grandson.....
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
He will remember that hunt and those lessons his entire life!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
small fox.

We hiked back up to the blind and began to pack up our gear.

Even with a rained our hunt, there is still lots of work to be done.

Hopefully, the memories will last forever in his heart and be replayed over again with his son.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
great story! All those times that end like that make the hunts where you see and even, if lucky, take game that much more enjoyable. The hunting was slow for us this weekend in Central Oklahoma, but for some reason, the Deer were really moving last night. I have yet to take a shot this year. Patietly waiting just like you are teaching Ben! :-)
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
Totally awesome Danny!

You done good brother!!

Thanks for sharing with us.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
It looks like he was having fun despite the weather.  Of course he was, he was with his Grandad.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
thats way cool buddy he looks happy enough good fer you papa  :clapper:    :clapper:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
That is something to preserve, protect, and defend. I wish my grandson was able to go with me. Hap

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »
Good job Danny. I know Ben enjoyed himself despite the bad weather. Think what he will do when you actually see game up close and personal. Can't wait for that story.  :jumper:

Offline Blue Knight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
Every picture Danny is smiling, That tells me that he was having fun and that is what it is all about. Keep up good work.

Offline BigCountryOK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
The smiles on that boy's face say it all!  OUTSTANDING JOB getting him out there!!!!!

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
bolong

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©