3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scams on Paypal?  (Read 342 times)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Scams on Paypal?
« on: October 25, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
I have not seen anything lately on Paypal scams, but I do have some concerns about foreign transactions.  A buyer from France wants to buy a bow and wants to use paypal...which I have used previously in sending items out of the country.

Anyone know of any isssues I should be aware?

I know about the extra fees that paypal charges and the buyer has agreed to pay extra shipping charges that apply, and that a Customs form is required.

Any advice from you regular shippers?
Lon Scott

Offline Victory Rider

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scams on Paypal?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
Should be no problem once the Paypal clears and is in your account.

My wife ships stuff overseas all the time and has never had an issue with Paypal. Custom hold ups is a whole issue in itself. Sometimes it takes weeks and occasionaly several months to get thru the custom offices!!!!!!

She has not had any issues in the past month. No crazy Nigerians promising you much money!!!!!!
68" Mohawk "Classic" 50# @ 30", Bacote
62" Trad Tines Recurve 50# @ 30"
Ben Pearson Colt 62" 41# @ 28"
Ben Pearson Golden Sovereign Knight 60" 50# @ 28"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
I completed a transaction this way and it worked out fine.
But I have heard of a scenario whereby the buyer complains to PayPal that none, or only part of the stuff arrived, Paypal takes his word and makes a reversal to your account.
Make sure you can somehow verify the legitimitacy of the buyer.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
What Bjorn said. Since paypal seems to take the word of the buyer, I'd make sure that the buyer has a history somewhere. It's easy enough to see if he has had previous posts here.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »
I sell all over the world and demand that we use paypal overseas.  Haven't had a problem ever.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
I haven't heard of any problems with Paypal,the two International deals I've had was a bow to France and a bow to Austria.They both went fine.Of course the bow to France was a longbow and shipping was expensive like $122.15.The bow to Austria was a T/D and it was $44.50 to ship.All I had to do was to fill out a customs form.These are my two experiences with out of the country.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
there have been a lot of scammers working out of france lately.be careful,once it clears they can claim item not recieved or damaged then you are screwed.they will take the money back and theres absolutely nothing you can do.i would not ship a dead cat to france.there have been reports of lots of scammers out of the u.k also...not all are bad but they are everywhere anymore.you just have to take chances and hope for the best anywhere you ship these days.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
I actually prefer paypal. It affords the buyer and seller some protection! never had a problem but ya never no with anytype of transaction these days!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
Larry,Paypal is VERY SAFE.I had no problem with people selling me staff,at the end the one that risk more with Paypal is the buyer.You pay first then you wait for other party to send.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 04:00:00 PM »
I've used Paypal quite a bit and never had a single problem. I've only sent a few things out of the country, but never encountered any problem of any kind.
Once the money hits your Paypal account, then your good to go.....You've just been paid and no check to clear, no banks to visit to make deposits, your done.....go ship.

I don't think their fees are very reasonable, but that's what we pay for the convienence I suppose?
If it's a problem then just ask for a couple dollars more for the product when you advertise it for sale.....jmo.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
I'm the opposite. I won't do business with PayPal. If a person doesn't want to send me a US postal money, which can be confirmed as legit by me going to my local post office and spending a few minutes at the counter waiting for verification, then the person won't be getting anything from me.

Ditto for anyone or company that wants me to use PayPal to purchase an item from them. If they won't except a US postal money order from me, then the vendor can keep the item they are selling.

These are my requirements and I've carved them in granite.

The two bows I've sold on TG, the buyers sent me a US postal money. Those that wanted to purchase by PayPal were refused by me.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
Joe,for example i can only pay with paypal and only can take Paypal,since I live abroad and it is impossible to send a postal MO or receive it.I can use a bank and it will cost me $75 for any amount of money and $25 for you to cash it in your bank.Then it takes 15 days before the money shows up,also if the transfer takes few seconds,banks time.Plus people is afraid to give accounts numbers and other necessary infos.
Felix
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
felix...my issue isnt with paypal at all,i use them 3-4 times a month.i get **** warnings from **** members i know about the people using paypal not paypal itself.paypal is very safe if you are dealing with honest people.there are bad apples everywhere you look these days.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by cacciatore:
Joe,for example i can only pay with paypal and only can take Paypal,since I live abroad and it is impossible to send a postal MO or receive it.I can use a bank and it will cost me $75 for any amount of money and $25 for you to cash it in your bank.Then it takes 15 days before the money shows up,also if the transfer takes few seconds,banks time.Plus people is afraid to give accounts numbers and other necessary infos.
Felix
Feliciano,

I only do business in the United States. No place else. And I've never been burned playing by my own rules.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
Joe,better please than sorry,but you had just 2 transactions I have made more than 50 last year,anyway I don't want to push you in any way,you can do want you want with your belonging.LOL.For myself I collect all my purchases in Colorado and I carry them with me going back and forth,i save a lot of money this way.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Sc0

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
I have purchased items overseas using paypal, and I have purchased items foreign and domestic using money orders and personal checks.  I had a seller in the UK who refused paypal transaction to foreign customers until he makes a few sales using money orders, seller comfort I suppose.  I have also met a few people here in the states who refused paypal and credit cards unless they are a repeat customer.  

If you are not comfortable, as a seller, you can request payment in something you are familiar with.  They are the ones wanting the item and if genuine will abide by your rules and form of payment that you request.

I have bought a lot of stuff using all sorts of transactions requested.  Some forms of payment can be a bit of a hassle but I wanted the product so I made it happen.  (example: Taking off of work early to goto the bank to get a money order.)

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
A few minor problems with Paypal but it's the cost of doing business and I've sold nearly 20,000 items online, Paypal is the only way.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
Can't you use Paypal to send a MO or something like it to someone without paypal?  I would think if you do that then the seller can wait until that clears and paypal can't do anything about it if you don't have a paypal account and the buyer tries to pull a scam on you.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline kung fu kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 02:43:00 AM »
I live in a large city, and the post offices are always crowded - waiting for parking spaces, then waiting in line to get up to the counter.  Ends up over half an hours easily at times.  Wire transfers take at least 45 minutes in the bank.  That's why I like paypal - purchase completed in 2 minutes.  95% of the time, I won't even consider an item if seller requires a postal MO.  Just my $.02 worth.

“All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom; justice; honor; duty; mercy; hope.”        
Winston S Churchill

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 05:25:00 AM »
I am one of those oversea buyers   ;) .
I bought several bows, armguards, risers etc. in the US and always used paypal. Nobody had any problem with me, and i didnt have an issues neither.
Only thing you should make sure is that the buyer sends the money already in US dollars, because this way no additional change fee occurs. If he sends e.g. Euro youll have to pay to change it into dollars.

For us oversea buyers it is better to use paypal because money transfers via banks still cost alot in comparisson.
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©