3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Epic Fail!!!!!  (Read 506 times)

Offline MERGANZER

• Trad Bowhunter
Epic Fail!!!!!
« on: October 25, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
Lastnight I was out there watching a group of three doe's moving steaduly my way for about 20 minutes.  I stood up and was breathing slow and telling myself aim small and pick a spot just pick a spot and take your time.....  Well the largest doe stopped at 18 yards and I began to make my move.  She looked away and I drew the bow back and let it fly!  I watched the fletchings go right over her back!  She had no idea what happened and I almost got a second chance at her but then she cautiously walked away and I saw the white fletchigs sticking in a root behind where she stood so perfectly for me.  My first attempt at an actual game animal was an epic fail!  My friends all told me lastnight "if you had your Matthews thats a dead deer you know that right?"  My response was "right, it woulda been dead and wouldnt have meant much to me at all"  I will feel a real sense of accomplishment when I connect with the curve.  I always assumed that but after watching the arrow miss its mark I know it now.  I will try again in a few days/

Good luck everyone and "pick a spot"

Ganzer

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Epic Fail!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
Congrats on the encounter, now that you have your "fail" out of the way, GO CONNECT!!

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
There is nothing at all wrong with missing a shot.   I've been bow hunting for a long number of years and I've shot over and under and behind them and on occasion, straight threw them.    The kill, atleast to me, is almost anticlimactic.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
Don't beat yourself up. I've missed, we've all missed and guess what, even compounders miss from time to time. Takes time to become proficient. If every shot was a sure thing with trad gear we would all be hunting with a pocket knife. That is why we choose this way. Make sure you hit your normal anchor point and follow through. Its so easy to over draw or snap in the heat of the moment.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
As someone has already posted:if it were that easy it would be killing and not hunting!Anyway also Kompaunders miss.A clean miss is better than a bad hit to me.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
I fail to see how you failed at all. You got her close, you were quiet enough to get a shot and you missed.  It was a close miss at that.  Happens.  The misses just make the connections that much sweeter.  It if was easy everybody would do it.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline MERGANZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
I agree with a clean miss being better I was releived to see there was no damage done when I got down.  Thanks for the kind words it wasnt a complete failure I guess it was just so perfect lol.  Everyting fell right into place except the arrow!  Well as stated this is what I got into it for.  That was the firsdt ime in a long time I was that worked up watching a doe walk in.  Almost like my first time bowhunting ever and I have been doing this for over 20 years!!!  Dont get me wrong I dont want it easy, but i have made that shot countless times in the past few months and i let the adrenalin get the better of me I guess is all.  It was a beautiful night however and I didnt have to drag a deer in the 70 degree heat.

Ganzer

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
You have the right attitude and it will come together the more time spent with stick in hand. A lesson is learned on all shots taken, some are harder than others but with a positive mindset you will prevail. Good luck.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 03:24:00 PM »
Keep at it. I shoot for top of the heart. I'd rather miss low than high.

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
Next time it will all come together for you, You've got the right attitude. Perhaps next time don't think yardage. I know a lot of very proficient compound shooters that would connect every shot if they could accurately estimate yardage. With them they end up using the wrong site pin. For you it will cause you to hold to high or to low. Just shoot a lot at different distances and allow your mind to decide where to hold your bow arm. It can become very good at making the decision if you don't second guess it.

Offline Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
Misses keep us humble so we can be sympathic with our fellow man when things don't come together for them. God, I must have an issue with pride cuz I keep getting the humble lesson each year. LOL

When it comes together you will appreciate that the first one didn't come easy.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
I didnt know Mathews built a recurve........? HAHAHAHAHAHA! Have fun ganzer!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
P.S.

If it makes you feel better, I missed an 8 point and a doe last night at 20 yards. Both high as usual. It happens, even with experince under your belt.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »
I was also impressed with your attitude about a kill not being as important as "How" you do it. You're in the right place. Good luck!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
We all do it from time to time... saying pick a spot is good...real good!!! But actually slowing down and bearing down on a spot is hard, real hard at times...

I do it less as I hold a sec or 10 at anchor, but I still do it "in the heat of the moment" from time to time... It's that adrenaline overload and it is a buooger at times to control...especially early in the season...

Keep at it, you'll be fine!!!
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
Sounds like a fun hunt to me!

Offline Real Buckmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
Those who believe a wheel bow is an automatic are mistaken. It might be automatic shooting targets in the back yard. I hear of numerous misses each year when that monster buck has turned their nerves into a frazzle. Good Luck!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by DannyBows:
I was also impressed with your attitude about a kill not being as important as "How" you do it. You're in the right place. Good luck!
Dannybows nailed it as far as I can tell.

I'm also impressed with your attitude. You are welcome to my campfire any time.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
a swing and a miss ,, no worries at least you did not wound her another time it will be diffrent ,, I bet the thrill of haveing them close was just as much fun,,and yea most of us have missed some time.
Gord

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 05:40:00 AM »
It happens to everyone and anybody that says it doesn't has a bit of soul seachen to do. Failure to pic a micromic spot and looking at the whole animal is pretty common. I've done it to many time to remember! As far as your buds go it's kinda like riding a Harley. If I have to explain you wouldn't understand!! Stick with it you'll blaze one soon enough. Good Luck

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©