3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Perry Reflex question???  (Read 1043 times)

Offline StephenR

• Trad Bowhunter
Perry Reflex question???
« on: January 10, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
I understand this method makes a very fast bow.
Has anyone tried this?It sounds like you floor tiller the bow(Hickory),then add bamboo to the back.Do you strart with adding reflex with heat if you dont already have enough.I have many questions on this process,and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Perry Reflex question???
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
Perry reflex is really a misnomer as there is no such thing, just term that stuck back years ago when Mr Perry was adding glued in reflex to his flight bows.

All you do is evenly taper your limbs and glue the backing on with the limbs propped up on the ends thus reflexing the bow. It can be a simple reflex, reflex deflex or a variety of other combinations depending on where the blocks are place during glue-up.

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »
As I understand it, Perry reflex is not induced with heat but rather "glued in". When you glue laminates, rather than glue them flat, you can use blocks(or a form) to keep them reflexed. They will keep SOME of this reflex when the glue is dry and they are released from the clamps. By doing this you move some of the compression stress from the belly towards the middle of the bow.
The more laminates you use the more reflex you will keep but I think three is plenty. More will give you too much glue with some wood in between.   :p   JMO

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »
It's exactly the same process as gluing up a laminate bow on a reflex form.  Nothing magical to it.

Think of Perry reflex as preload.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline ShinneryOak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 04:42:00 PM »
I have been wanting to try this too since seeing the writeup on it in Traditional Bowyer's Bible. I have been balking because the author (Tim Baker I think ) says clearly that it can't just be pulled into reflex, it has to be "tillered backward". However , there is no more explanation. I have no idea what that means- taking wood off the back to make it bend backward evenly? I would appreciate any input on the subject also.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©