3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Elk setup  (Read 1029 times)

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
Elk setup
« on: May 25, 2007, 08:39:00 AM »
The recent elk thread got me thinking about elk hunting bow setups and how much is really needed to bring one of these brutes down. How much bow and arrow is really needed? What are all your bow and arrow setups for elk this coming season and seasons in the past? Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Elk setup
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 08:49:00 AM »
Well, here in Ontario the minimum bow weight for moose is 49.7 pounds. A moose is a whole lot BIGGER than an elk, so this statement might say alot.

BD   :archer:

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »
I'm not hunting elk this year but my advice is to shoot the heaviest arrow you can relative to your set-up...11 grains per pound is a minimum start point for me.

Offline jon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 09:05:00 AM »
I will be in Montana this Sept chasing elk. Will be shooting a 54# ACS with a GT75/95 pushing a 190gr grizly. Total weight is 675gr. She'll be moving along at 169fps and I'll be shooting from 25 yards or less.

Offline Bird Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
That's a great set-up jon.

Offline Tree Ghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 12:04:00 PM »
I'm shooting my Schafer Silvertip (68 lbs), a Beman Black Max 340 with a 100 grain brass insert and a 150 grain stinger.  I hunt elk every year and have no trouble.  It's the same set up I use for deer, and last year I shot full length through a deer with 6 inches of the arrow hanging out a hind quarter.  It was a finishing shot at 25 yards as she tried to get up out of a bed.  I think my whole set up is weighing in around 565 grains.

Hope this helps,

Tree Ghost

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »
Last year my setup was 55# Bear Cheyenne, POC shafts soaked in watco, 145 grain snuffers-RAZOR sharp, 4X 5" shield cut feathers, crown dip.... arrow weight was right at 600+ grains.  Shots are all within 25 yards (20-25 yards the elk HAS to be unaware AND broadside).  Lots of debate on this very topic every year, both here and other archery websites (trad and not trad)... some feel heavy bows, lighter arrows for better shot placement, others say heavy arrows and close shots.  I am the later, and believe if you have heavy SHARP arrows and good shot placement, as well as closer shots, a lighter bow gets the job done.  Ask Jim Neeves (Centaur Archery), his personal, do everything bow is 51.5 #...
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline jonesy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »
Moderate weight bow + heavy arrow + good shot placement = meat on the table.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
Big Dog...49.7 pounds????????? That's just wierd.  :knothead:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 03:36:00 PM »
Probably a Kilo conversion Ferret
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 03:37:00 PM »
Ohhhhhhhh DOH! That makes sense   :banghead:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 03:57:00 PM »
yep, it is a kilo thing...I still don't use it and they were teaching it to me in public school! LOL

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 04:20:00 PM »
Here in Oregon we don't do fractions too well....it's 50 lbs as a minimum for elk.

I'm shooting a 50# recurve (with a 55# recurve coming in June) at 170 fps w/ spruce arrows w/ 160gr 2 blade broadheads=540gr arrows combo. I am trying out some 190gr heads. Might go heavier.

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 04:35:00 PM »
I honestly think, after all the research I've done, most people's penetration  problems on elk come from improperly tuned arrows. I think it's very important to bareshaft your arrows. And I also think the way most people do it is wrong. They forget to take into account the fact that taking feather, vanes, cresting, wraps, etc. off the back of your arrow weakens it. I wrap duct tape around the tail end of my arrow that I have weighed and weighs the same as whatever was on the back of my arrows originally. I bareshaft them with my fletched arrows at 40 yards and adjust as necessary until they are perfect.
That being said my elk setup this year will be my DAS Dalaa equipped with Border Hex5-Hyperflex limbs at 53#@29.5". Arrows are CX Maxima Hunters with 220gr. Muzzy Phantom 4blades on the end (not because I think the weight is necessary, but because it gets me to the arrow weight I'm most accurate with). The finished shafts are about 520gr. I'm confident they'll get the job done then some. I also use an elevated rest and plunger to aid in acheiving perfect arrow flight. My dad, however, shoots off the shelf and, with some work, he is also able to get his arrows to fly stellarly  :D .

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 05:37:00 PM »
I'll be going for my first elk this fall.  I'll be using the same bow/arrow I use for 3-D, rabbits, hogs, and whitetail.  [email protected]", POC arrows that weigh approx. 650 grains.  Critters I've shot haven't lived long enough to complain.

As for the least you can get away with, I have no idea.  I've never been one to take that route.  If conventional wisdom says 75 works just fine, I'll use 85 as long as I can shoot it accurately.  I much rather err to the heavy side.

Chad

Offline T. Downing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »
I hunt elk with a 58lb Matlock Longbow, Magnus& STOS single bladed broadheads and 625 grain arrows(total weight). IMHO, the most imporant factor in equipment choices for elk is total arrow weight. I'm one of those guys who believe in nothing less than 600 grains for elk. I fully respect the accuracy argument,however, if things don't go as planned, you want a heavy arrow/broadhead combo for penetration. Elk are extremely tough animals and I want an arrow packing a heavy punch. T
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127 4-5

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
60# longbow and 650 grain cedar arrows with either HH, STOS, Zwickey or Magnus two-blade heads.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
59#  32" GT 5575 100 gr inserts 125 gr. magnus
long and heavy...

Offline cotradbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »
I have had pass throughs on Elk with my old setup, 68 pound Bighorn,  AFA forgewoods with 165 grain snuffers, 975 grains total. Dropping down to 64 pounds this year with the same arrows, why change what works.

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2007, 01:45:00 AM »
You can do it with a 45# bow with a heavy arrow tipped with a sharp broad head at a reasonable distance and not have a thing to worry abot. They are tough animals but I think you can kill all most any thing with that set up.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©