3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does your wife ever complain...?  (Read 2699 times)

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Does your wife ever complain...?
« on: October 25, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
...you hunting to much?  Every year, mine goes thru the same ritual.  She knew when we got together that don't ask me for anything September thru December.  I got so mad today listening to it, that I cancelled hunting tonight and tomorrow, and also cancelled a trip I had planned with a good friend this weekend.  I know I was more than likely acting childish, but good god I have just about had enough.  She says it's becoming obsesive, but it's alright for her to have a girls night every Sunday, and then get together with her friends whenever, but if I mention that, the PMS seems to kick in high gear.  Believe me, it sucks, giving up hunting at this prime time of year.  We had an agreement a couple years ago that if she did not say anything about me hunting or fishing, that I would not say anything about Christmas and birthdays.   Seems like one of those "I meant it when I said it, and I forgot about that".

Thanks for listening to me vent, and I am interested in getting some of you all's take on the matter.

I mean, the rest of the year, it's all about her and the boys (5 and 7 years old).  I have even taken the boys hunting with me this year a couple times each.  I just don't get it, and I know it's not even worth figuring out.  Actually I would have a better chance of figuring her out than getting a deer this year the way my season is going, but I have had one of the best season's so far if you include all the great comraderie I have experienced.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Leapingbare

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does your wife ever complain...?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
I have had 2 girl friends brake up with me durring hunting sesion because they thought i was hunting to much.
 The GF i have now made it through last sesion and is holding strong this sesion.
 I can tell when it starts to get to her she dose not have to say anything. I make it a point to take a saterday afternoon off here and there to take her out.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
My wife just said, "You men!"

Actually, after 32 years she still understands the importance of hunting to me. She doesn't complain about the amount of time or money I spend on my hunting and stuff. She is thankful I don't have the vices of some unlucky folks we know.

She doesn't like it though when I decide not to go hunting and then kick myself for the next 2-3 hours for not going!

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
I don't like any woman saying me what I can or can't do.This is my life take it or let it go,no other vices otherwise.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
Women have complained about our obsessive hunting ever since we clubbed the first one and dragged her back to the cave!
Grapes in a few short years your wife will not complain when you take the boys hunting as often as you wish.
I have even used my son as an excuse for all kinds of new gear that he can't use!

Offline Leon.R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
Must be honest my wife has never complained or tried to stop me go hunting, now here in the Uk I cant bowhunt but I flyfish and after 10 years she now fishes as well.
With my little one Hannah as well.
And I know I'm the difficult one to live with but she still does it.
Sorry Bro
Black Douglas 68#
Wing Gull 60#
Hoyt Havoc 80#
Coupla other wheelies.
If ya gonna be stupid, you better be tough!

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
My wife married me with the understanding that I was not there alot during hunting season when we were dating and the same rules would apply after we got married.  My wife never complains, but it helped her understand when I got her started hunting.  I stop alot of hunting for myself as soon as youth season opens.  They get their turn then.  After youth and a couple weekends of gun season my wife is good for the year and so are my boys.  Then I can peacefully bowhunt again.  Its a trading game at my homestead.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
True story : When I proposed to my wife I took her out to a ground blind I had built here on state land....I gave her the ring, and said "I'm pretty worthless from October through December, but will you marry me?"

We will be 25 years this July....we had a few spats about hunting late in the season when the kids were small. I have to admit it was hard to justify a weekend with the boys when I already had 3 or 4 in the freezer. But in general, and especially now that we are near 50, she is glad I have a wholesome hobby. She listens to her friends talk about thier husbands boozing and worse, and she knows I'm not one of those types.

I leave for a 10 day hunt at Shrewhaven in a couple days, she couldn't be happier for me. I'm a lucky guy.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
My wife's a NYC girl...her father use to hunt before passing on. After 24 yrs of living with me she knows what to expect every fall.

Even if she did complain....who listens to their wives???

:saywhat:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
If they didn't complain they wouldn't be women.

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
I told my wife yesterday that I would be gone from the 29th until 7th.  

She never batted an eye.

She once bought me a t-shirt that said "We Interrupt this Marriage to Bring You Hunting Season"

Back when we first had kids, we used to trade Mothers Day for Fathers Day.  Mothers day fell during the Spring Turkey season, so I didn't have to worry about getting out of the house at 3:30AM on a Sunday morning and getting her mad.  We used to buy the cards and cross out Mothers and Fathers.

Now I just tell her the truth,  "You're not my Mother."

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Buckeye Trad Hunter:
If they didn't complain they wouldn't be women.
:thumbsup:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
My wife does not technically complain persay but she knows that my Saturdays are mine come hunting season.

But then I will be beat up scared up tired as all get out by them end of season (all of em as I will trap as well after deer season). And she says I look like a zombie by the time it is over and cannot for the life of her understand why I get up for work at 5 all week just to get up at 4 on Saturday to go hunting when i have the opportunity to sleep in????????

She knows the life and she knows my heart. -

Like Troy (I think) from SWAMP PEOPLE - the alligator hunting show on discovery said. "if something was to happen to me and you gave my heart to a man in NYC hes gonna come down here and hunt gators. He aint gonna know why but hes going to, cause that is what my heart is"

Couldn't say it any better.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 06:09:00 PM »
Does my wife complain about my hunting?  Good question.   She has never complained about my hunting in our 46 years of marriage, three children, and three grandchildren later.  But things have certainly changed over the years.  I think I have run the gamut from child to adolescent, adolescent to adult, adult to middle-aged, and now to senior citizen.  With my wife it has been mostly me going from adult to senior citizen with a few childish episodes along the way.  Today at 67 years of age, notice that I didn’t say years old, the whole hunting experience is different between me and her.  When it comes to hunting you would think I was her child rather than her husband.  She helps pack my hunting supplies for the day and makes sure I understand the rules before leaving the house.  I am required to have a map of the NWR where I hunt and to mark on the map the region I will be hunting that day with the clear understanding that I do not leave that area and go to another area.  She double checks my pack to make sure certain items are there, mainly my cell phone, compass, and nitro tablets, along with rain gear and snake protection gear.  Everything’s there and I’m ready to go.  Nope.    Now it’s time for the last minute instructions:  (1) I wish you would go back to hunting deer and leave those hogs alone, (2) Make sure when you are about to shoot a hog that you are out of the way or in safe place, “old man you are too damn slow to outrun one of those animals.”,  (3) “Watch where you put your feet that place is crawling with rattlers and cottonmouths and your eyes are not as good as they used to be.”  (4) “Did you pack some toilet paper and the pee bottle?  You know how you always have to pee.”  (5) “Did you pack your bottles of water? You know how hot it is out there.”  (6) “Call me when you get there and call me when you get back to the truck and coming home.”  (7) “What area did you say you were hunting today”?  I repeat the area on the map to her and she responds with “just checking.”  (8)” What time did you say you would be home?”  I tell her the time and I’m ready to go. (9) “Have a good time and I’ll see later (the designated time).   It’s been 30 minutes and I’m in the truck and on my way and feeling like an adult again or maybe a little like a senior citizen with the necessary experience to get where I am going and get back.  
All in all, I think she still worries until she hears the truck in the carport and back door opens with my smiling face saying, “I got one.”  Together we process and package the meat and put it in the freezer.  In the final analysis it was a good day of hunting, but more important it tells me that my wife and I are still in love just like we were the day were married.

Offline JPE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
I personally think I have the best wife in the world.Come hunting season if the weather is lousy like this year ,hot and dry, and I decide to stay home she tells me that I can not kill our meat in the living room. The grandkids birthdays are almost all in hunting season so she tells every body if there are any parties or get togeathers that I will not be there. She lets me go out of state to hunt even if things are a little tight as long as it does not come out of the budget. She waits supper if I am running late. All i all she is good to me.  Jim Pyles

Offline stickbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
I dont ask her to quit wearing her makeup , cooking or anything else she did before we married so I dont expect her to say anything about my hunting---the same things I did before we even meet.If she needs me to change she married the wrong guy [and she nevers says stay - she knows she has nothing to worry I am HUNTING]. AND our wedding was planned so we never had to worry about anniversary's...30 years last May .Things still good.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 06:26:00 PM »
Does she complain?HECK YEA,but only if SHE is not getting to go hunting enough!

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
Mine has with good reason.

Jan -Goose hunting
Feb - Deer scouting & Fishing
March - Turkey scouting and fishing
April - Turkey hunting
May - Turkey Hunting and fishing
June - FIshing
Jul - Night fishing
Aug - Night fishing and deer scouting
Sept- Scouting, setting ~10 stands, some hunting and fishing
Oct -Bow hunting
Nov - Bow hunting and setting up goose pits
Dec - Goose hunting

Not to mention shooting my bow year around.

I distinctly remember my wife sitting me down one August after I had been scouting and setting stands the previous 3 weekends. She said that that it was obvious that I was getting ready to deer hunt and that she would seldom seem me over the next couple of months and that I would be in to somethingelse soon after that. She said that 'I want you to be able to hunt but I just can't help it. Don't take offense but I just have to b@$%^". I couldn't look at her with a straight face.

I steadily reduced this schedule by over 60% and even more these last few years.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
My wife complains when she can't hunt with me. I'm pretty lucky and she is pretty good. She says as long as I can hang tree stands for her and keep her broadheads sharp she'll keep me around.

On the other hand I  have been married to a wife who was less than sympathetic. It is a balancing act and one that you need to be diplomatic about. My youngest daughter was a swimmer and volleyball player. My step daughter was a volleyball and basketball player. We current wife and I never missed a game or a meet even in hunting season and it never seemed to affect my bowhunting success. You will gain a lot more than you give up if you reciprocate some of your time and attention.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
My wife complains when she can't hunt with me. I'm pretty lucky and she is pretty good. She says as long as I can hang tree stands for her and keep her broadheads sharp she'll keep me around.

On the other hand I  have been married to a wife who was less than sympathetic. It is a balancing act and one that you need to be diplomatic about. My youngest daughter was a swimmer and volleyball player. My step daughter was a volleyball and basketball player. We current wife and I never missed a game or a meet even in hunting season and it never seemed to affect my bowhunting success. You will gain a lot more than you give up if you reciprocate some of your time and attention.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©