3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does your wife ever complain...?  (Read 2737 times)

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does your wife ever complain...?
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
when I was younger my wife gave me grief over my absence during hunting season.

now after being married for a good bit she is glad to get rid of me for awhile!

Now she just says she is a widow fron October to christmas!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
I bought my wife a couple horses that brought the complaining to a close.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
My wife never complains.  It still amazes me sometimes because I spend alot of time in the woods.

I was stuck in Anchorage one time after a hunt and she actually got on here and posted my perdicament.  Next thing I knew the hotel phone was ringing off the hook with t-gangers wanting to carry me hunting or fishing!  She's always been real supportive of me and I'm very appreciative.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
My ex-wife did.  Not now.  Seriously, I hunt/fish the vast majority of my time.  Most of my resources are dedicated to hunting/fishing.  It is a fault, I know it, and admit it, and don't plan to change it.  I suppose someday there might be someone come along who understands that and maybe even is the same way.  That would be alright.  But I sure am not looking and don't care to try.  I prefer the freedom of maneuver and the ability to hunt and fish pretty much any old time.
Silence is golden.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
My wife knew the deal when she said I do. The most I get out of her is a little sigh from time to time and I ain't to sure that's not a sigh of relief.

Now come spring she gripes if she don't get to go to turkey woods. LOL

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline vermonter1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
You've done quite a service here to your fellow bowhunters, this has allowed for alot of "venting", very theraputic.  It's good for us to let off the steam.  Ya, there are a few very lucky guys out there but for most of us there is a good deal of give and take during hunting season.  Give and take yes, but don't give up what makes you - you.  Good Luck with it.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
My wife does not complain at all.

Our living room has antlers, coyote skins, bows, guns, and arrow racks for decorations.

When I return from an evening hunt she grabs me and puts her face into my chest to "smell the woods on me".

Hot food awaits the return of me and my boys whenever we go hunting or fishing. We joke on every hike out in the dark about how we can hear the dishes clanking as mom gets food ready for us.

She does not hunt, but loves the woods as much as any of us, and loves me more because she knows the woods are a part of me.

I don`t have any advice for you Grapes, except, maybe if you give a little, you can get to hunt without the confrontation.

Offline lbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
My wife is great she tells me I work too much and that I should hunt more I'm lucky.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
Well, my I was hunting when I met my wife, did loose two girlfriends, because they didn't like it and said was hunting too much, I reasoned if they wanted to change my hunting, then what else will they want from me.  My wife loves that I hunt and have a passion for it.  A friend of her's asked one time how she put up with me in the woods so much, she replied, "I would rather know he is sitting in a treestand, than on a bar stool".  Yes it cost some money for quality gear, but if I had the money I spent in bars when younger would pay for my gear and then some.  Don't get me wrong I am there for family things as well when she needs me.  As a matter of fact we was married on october 2nd, and her birthday is the 6th.  I always joked she wanted to see how much I loved her by getting married on the 2nd.  Four years ago had alot of overtime to work on 12 hour shifts, didn't have alot of practice time.  I hit a Doe in the butt and came home furious and swore off hunting for the season.  she convinced me to get a compound and enjoy the hunt not the tackle.  Secretly I new she didn't want to be locked up in the house with me brooding all season.  She was right, and everytime I come home and elate my bow hunting day with the animals seen, missed and experianced, she see's the light in my eye and loves it.  Don't know what I would do without her in my life!!!!

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
.....one of the main reasons I have TWO EX-WIVES!!!!!!!!!.....and not really looking very hard for number 3. (not very many single women draging a bow through the woods at 0400 am)
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline arrowslinger22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
I read all of this thread and it really makes me wonder.  I was married, divorced and now remarried.  For me, being gone hunting during the first marriage was selfish and dishonest.  We had 3 kids together and I stayed married to her for the sake of those kids.  Selfish because we both worked full time and leaving her with the kids was wrong, although they came along often enough.  Dishonest because we should have just gotten divorced and figured it out with the kids.  

My current wife has her interests and I have mine.  We partner raising her girls and taking care of things on the home front.  We have a shared responsibility.  I get to go as often as I like and she does her stuff.  I feel better now since there's no arguments and complaints.  Life is much better for sure.
Only when the last tree has died
and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught
will we realize that we cannot eat money

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
Only when I go hunting without her.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
Before we got married I would travel every weekend about 2.5 hours to the farm.  Since we got married I dont travel to the farm as much anymore, I just tried to find a place a little closer to home.  I hunt just about every night of season now, and in late October I usually make it home in time to fix her dinner on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Keeps it pretty fair.  The only time she really complains is when I throw a temper tantrum about missing a shot, or her making plans on a weekend for next year.  Other than that its not so bad.  She is really a good woman, that gives me my time and she knows how important it is to me.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
Everything revolves around my girls. After I have gone to whatever they have planned then it is my time. I don't feel bad about my time in the woods after I have been there for the family. If my wife ever gets grouchy about it ...  well honestly it doeasn't mater.  If she thinks it's bad now, wait til the kids are out of the house. If I'm being honest, she is decent about it.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
Unfortunately, Grapes... I think most people tend to wear a mask with their intended until they get married- women as much as men.

We seem exceedingly attentive to the prospective mate- then when we 'catch' her, she becomes ours and we're on to the next conquest- critters.

Women, on the other hand, if we are at all honest with them prior to marriage- tend to think once they get their grip on us they can change us into the civilized, wonderful, caring romantic devil they wish we were after marriage.

I don't know any other way to deal with it than to sit down and have a real give-and-take conversation.

You've just got to make her understand that if she loves you for the man you are at all, then she must realize that hunting- which has taught you patience, self-reliance, determination, dedication, and more- is what makes YOU that man she cares for.

If she tries to stop your hunting- it will kill your spirit and make you resentful, just as you asking her to not go out with her girlfriends on Sundays or to stop going shopping at the mall would have a similar effect on her.

If that doesn't work- then you've got some serious decisions to make.

Right now, I'm away from Thursday night through Sunday evening 26 weekends a year...and there's more hunting going on as well. My wife appreciates me for who I am- a person who has two passions in life- her, and chasing critters with stick and string.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
:biglaugh:    Mines been trying to wean me off hunting for 31 years....Not happening.  In normal years I take off the "WHOLE" late archery ..Thanksgiving thru Mid Dec for late elk hunting....

This year it's working however,  Her health is deterorating [ sp?]very fast .... My decision had been to stay close to home as that's where I feel I'm needed...

Would'nt you know it ... Now she says Go Hunting and get away for awhile....

I love this woman, and have for all of those many years... I still plan on staying close to home this Fall.

Best of luck to the rest of you guys...this year. For me, family is really coming first this fall... I'll have to "live thru your exploits" so please share them here thru the PowWow with me.  ;)  

Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
Nope....never.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »
I am surprised how fast this thread has fillled up. Some good advice, and a few laughs. My wife is great about the hunting. However, most of mine is local and I make it home every evening. She does however draw her line in the sand. I am back in the bedroom now watching Monday night football and checking out Tradgang. My deer heads on the wall are looking down at me as I type. She will not allow them in the house where guests can see them. I solved that by putting them in the bedroom. She was also a little disgusted when she had to move her car out of the garage last night to make room to cut up my son's doe, but it was warm and had to be done. She has no interest in the woods, Mosquitos, bugs, rain, or cold, and thinks me and the boys are crazy. She really does not complain and I think she is glad to get us out of the house.
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
Wow... I feel for some of you guys!

Lisa and I have been together for 16 years and she has been the best hunting and fishing buddy I have ever had. Sometimes I go without her, sometimes she goes without me. Most times we go together. I took her fishing on our first date. When I went to meet her Mom, I showed up with a whole deer in a cooler.

We don't have any kids (just Labradors), maybe that makes a difference. It's no accident that we don't. Not that we don't love kids, we spoil the heck out of our nieces and nephews!

We were around 30 or so when we met, so already had established lives of our own. Can't say I didn't still have some growing-up to do, still do I guess.

We have had a great relationship these past years and I am looking forward to many, many more.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Archer Fanatic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
My wife and I celebrated our 42 anniversary this past July and hunting has never been a problem. Yes I do listen to my wife.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©