3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many coats?  (Read 364 times)

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
How many coats?
« on: May 25, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
question for you arrow makers,

making up a set of arrows for the first time.  I've got the shafts stained and one coat of polyurethane finish on them.  How many coats of polyurethane should I put on the arrows?
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many coats?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 12:49:00 PM »
I usually do 3 myself. I give a light sanding with 00000 wire wool, between the second & third coats. I get a beautifully smooth, glossy surface. Used to just do 2, but I found the varnish was wearing off the shaft after doing a round of 3ds. 3 seems to hold up far better.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »
Personaly, and I am no expert, I always do 2 coats of poly if dipping or 3 if spraying sanding lightly in between. Then I either spray the back third ofr crest.

Adam

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »
I usually put 2 coats of Spar-Urethane on wood shafts.  I put the first coat on, knock it down with 0000 steel wool and put on a final coat.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 12:52:00 PM »
I have heard as little as 1 coat and as many as 6 coats.  Paul Jalon of Elite Arrows uses 6 coats of Marine Grade Poly on all of his arrows.  I was floored when I first heard that but his arrows are the best I have ever seen.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 12:53:00 PM »
Hey thanks.

I'm brushing the stuff on.  What kind of spray do you use?  That sounds a lot easier!
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©