3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: need some words of encouragement  (Read 480 times)

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
need some words of encouragement
« on: October 28, 2010, 04:56:00 PM »
All,

having a little pity party and need someone to snap me out of it.  Missed three deer last year and totally sapped my confidence.  Layed off for a while and then started back shooting harder than ever over the summer.  Season started Sep 15 and have been out as many times as possible.  To date I havent even had a deer close enough that I could have shot it with my muzzleloader and for added dissapointment had one of my stands stolen.  What the heck man.  I am not the kind of guy thats hung up on a buck either.  I just like to provide a little meat for the family and enjoyment for myself.  Its like the deer just dont like me anymore.  Gun season starts Nov 13 so I have about two weeks before everything gets shot up.  Somebody tell me how to break this curse. LOL

C     :pray:        :pray:        :pray:        :pray:
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: need some words of encouragement
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
Caleb it can change in a heartbeat...I felt snakebit last year then bam, I have a Booner on the ground. It comes down to hangin' in, BELIEF, and making the shot. You can do it!
Mike Davenport

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
Your right, it sounds like a pity party.  Ya' just need to snap out of it and remember, if you have not had even a deer in muzzeloader range then your bow is not at all handicaping you.  

Get out there and do some scouting, the deer are starting to make a little sign.  Find a gooden' and hunt him.  You still have two weeks.  Don't make it sound so short, that is plenty of time for a buck to cross your path.

Every day we have above the grass is a gift directly from God, we all need to realize that.

Hang in there and God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
Sounds like you have forgot why you are out there. Enjoy nature and remember a harvest is a bonus
Chin up

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
That $hit is all a part of hunting.Deal with it!   :scared:   That should have got you out of it,And be patient it all works out in the end.If you have to do an Indian deer dance,Strip to your skivvies and run around you neighborhood yelling come here deer-come here deer as loud as you can for at least an hour.Then you wont have to worry about the next two weeks. due to being in jail
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
You wouldn't be a trad guy if you wanted to go the easy route, your just paying the price now for the enjoyment you will get when you do connect.
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
The good thing is that you have ample time to modify and/or reposition your setup. The best part of the season lies ahead. Keep the faith!!

How ironic it is that it may actually only take
one good encounter to make a poor season a grand success.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
There is a reason they are not in the area. Get the heck outta there and find a different place. Last year my most productive location completely shut down. Never saw a deer and I still don't know why. I found a better place and will hunt it this weekend!

Offline Mocsin1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
Hey I know where you are coming from. I didn't see hardly a deer the first two weeks. Then missed a 8 pointer the  end of the third week. Then missed a spike the next week. I was ready to give up but then I remember that just being able to hunt and be out in nature is what its all about. Just having fun. I still haven't killed nothing and today is the last day I will get to hunt this bow season. Its the first year I haven't killed a deer with a bow in about 7 years but I have had a blast. Just have fun!!! Its hunting not killing. Go enjoy what God has created!

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
Like the gunny says, Maybe we should take a trip to mamby pamby land you jackwagon! Now snap out of it, draw to anchor, and lace the next one in the boiler room. Tissues?
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
Does your archery only season go on after gun season ends? Some of my fondest memories were spent years ago with me and my recurve in a tree long after gun season had closed when there was snow on the ground and it was soooo quiet. Never killed a deer that late but saw several, missed a doe, and had the woods all to myself. It was great.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
caleb, i have been hunting hardas i can this season and have only seen one doe 50 yards away headed away. last year, i never had a deer with in distance, and never seen a buck at all.   year before that never seen a legal buck, never had a doe in distance.  that has been my traditional archery experiance. so... dont feel bad.  at least you are seeing deer. sit and wait, it will happen......sooner or later
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
1 shot in 5 years and hit a small tree between me and the deer. I have seen one fawn this year in 7 days. I am HOPING to see one during the running this week - see keep hoping, it's all good. Stuff can be replaced

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Zradix:
When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place.
That is VERY sound advice.  :thumbsup:

I will be the first to admit that I came close to hanging it up several times due to discouragement. But in the end I hung in there and stuck it out because this is something I really wanted to do. To be honest, once I tried a trad bow other methods of hunting just didn't seem to mesh with me...they lost much of their appeal. There's also a part of me that didn't want to be a quitter so I was always able to somehow muster up the determination to keep at it. And I am so glad I did!

Once you get that first one - and you will - you'll smile when you recall these times of discouragment.

Good luck to you.  :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
Caleb, seriously, I haven't even taken a shot in over 2 full seasons now. Hang in there. I had the biggest buck of my life 10 yards away last year, broadside, looking the other way and I never tightened the string. I was sick about it, but happy to be there at the time. It will happen for you.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Just like the directions on a shampoo bottle, but with a twist of words: Practice. Hunt. Repeat.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Kip l Hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
Hey Caleb next time you are sitting out there and nothing is happening, take a look over your left shoulder, we are all out there with you.  One of the neatest things about this site is the commarderie of all us old die hard tradtional shooters.  The "brotherhood" we all belong to.  When you are feeling the most alone is when the most of us are there with you.  

If these words of encouragement don't get the job done, pop a squirrel.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 12:06:00 AM »
The worst day hunting is still better than the best day at work ... it will happen just enjoy the journey .... good luck for the remainder of your season
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cottonwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 12:54:00 AM »
Caleb, I have been out almost every other day.  I have had 7 misses this season so far.  Its not discouraging for me, because I was that close, but because I saw the big picture instead of focusing on the little spot my arrows either went high or low.

I laugh at myself, and now I'm hunting with a bow in the gun season.  I haven't hear to many shots fired in my area, so either they aren't seeing them, or they are being selective.  

Just the other day, 7 does came with in just 20 yards of my blind, and then the next morning, I was in a differant area of the property and they snuck in behind me at just about 12 yards.  I can't take a doe in rifle season as its now bucks only.

I have seen just 3 bucks, but at a distance so far.  It will happen, we hunt with traditional bows because its just not easy, we choose to hunt the hard way, and man I'm stoked even just seeing the game.

I wish you luck as you continue to persue what we love to do.
Member: Montana Bowhunters Association, Traditional Bowhunters of Montana

"I don't bowhunt for a living... but I live to bowhunt the traditional way!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©