3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dave Windauer"s Beautiful Bighorn!!  (Read 2507 times)

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dave Windauer"s Beautiful Bighorn!!
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
GREAT JOB DAVE!  Those are awesome animals!
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
Very nice...Congrats

Offline ozzyshane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
Great ram thanks for posring Shane

Offline hedgetree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
Outstanding!  Lets hear the story its got to be good!

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: December 03, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
Story?

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
Awesome Ram!
What is worse, waiting on this story or waiting for Pete   :)
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »
Absolutely amazing.  That would be my dream hunt.
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
Beautiful animal!!
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: December 04, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
Congratulations with a very nice Ram!
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Beth Windauer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: December 04, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
Hi Guys,
 I did my part and typed it out for Dave but it's pretty rough. It's in his hands now but I will let him know there are some pretty eager people waiting patiently! Hope you are all having a blessed holiday season!
Beth

Offline Beth Windauer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2010, 10:48:00 AM »
Sorry guys for the delay. Here is a start.

My dad started putting my name in the hat for bighorn sheep when I was 12.  I drew my first sheep tag at the age of 13.  I ended up with a nice ram with a rifle and a great experience and introduction to sheep hunting.  Ever since then, I have wanted to hunt sheep again and hunt them especially with a bow and arrow.  This year, 26 years later I was fortunate enough to draw another sheep tag in my home state of Montana. So fortunate that a couple of my buddies hung up on me after hearing the news.  
     I scouted 6 days total in July and August. I was immediately optimistic seeing 24 rams my first day of scouting. I first saw this ram in August and got some rough video through my spotting scope.   He was with another smaller ram at that time and he looked awesome.  He had a big frame and his horns appeared massive compared to other rams I had seen.  He had a rich darker brown color to him that I also liked.  He was a gorgeous ram.  I may have seen this ram one other time earlier in the  summer but didn’t get enough time to look him over before he went into the trees out of sight. That was all I saw of him before the season opened on September 5th.
     The area I hunted is about 2 hrs from where I live so most of the time I would make two or three-day trips to hunt, then return home for a few days before going back.  I would sleep in the truck, tent, or in a small cabin owned by a guy that gave me permission to access the sheep country.  
     Most of the spotting in this unit is done from the road below, scoping up to the mountainsides to spot rams.  I also had permission to access a private road from above if needed.  It was about 2,000 feet from the bottom to the tops of the peaks but most of the sheep activity was fairly close to the middle, about half way up. The idea was to spot the sheep from above or below, then try to get in close enough to locate them again and plan a stalk. Their movement varied, some staying in the same area the entire day while others would travel over a mile. They seem to roam and feed but no real patterns.
     The terrain is rocky and cliffy with grassy benches and sparse timber.  It is fairly noisy so it made stalking very challenging when close.  Wet weather made it quieter but with so many rock slides it was still very difficult.  The weather was still mild in September, I only had a couple rainy days that were maybe in the forties.

This is another nice ram my brother photographed through his spotting scope.

Another younger ram from scouting

Will post more shortly.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
Many thanks Dave, a lot of us will never get the chance so this makes it as real as its gonna get!
David M. Conroy

Offline Beth Windauer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: December 15, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
My dad and I stayed in the cabin the night before opening day of September 5th and were glassing from the bottom at first light.  Within the first hour or so we spotted the ram (my ram) I had on video from August.  The ram was easy to identify because he had a big chunk out of the back of his right horn.  I guessed it was from a bullet. He was feeding on a bench above a huge cliff and the ram was now by himself which was rare and desired for a bowhunter.  Most of the rams were in groups of at least a few.  I think the most rams I saw in a group was 21.  That makes it tough to get close with that many eyes watching for you.  We watched the ram for a while and decided to look over some more country and more rams since it was just the first day of season. Plus, the season is long, ending the last of November. The ram was also staying in the same area and without pressure I figured he would stay there.  We spent that day hiking down from above and covered a lot of country without seeing many sheep. That night before dark, we made it back to the bottom and spotted him again in the same location as we had that morning. Since there was not enough light to pursue him that evening,  I decided if he was there in the morning I would go after him.   The next morning he had moved a little but was still there above the cliff feeding.  We then proceeded to climb up the drainage through rock slides and small cliffs to the same elevation, then sidehilled above the cliff to where the ram was. I could not locate him. The wind had changed a couple times and he may have smelled me.  We were unable to spot the ram again on that trip but ended up getting more stalks on other nice rams.
  About 5 days later, I was back sheep hunting with a buddy of mine from Pennsylvania.  Dreux was out on an elk hunt and cut it short to hunt sheep with me. The first morning of hunting, we were glassing from the bottom when Dreux spotted this same ram again on the next ridge over (probably about a mile) from where I had seen him with my dad. We drove to the top and hiked in from above this time.  We started easing down the ridge and luckily spotted him again at about 100 yards strait below us.  He moved slightly, behind some trees and went out of sight.  Dreux stayed back to watch and by the time I stalked to where the ram had been,  he had climbed up a bench and once again I couldn’t locate him.  I hiked back up to Dreux and found out that I had been within probably 20 to 25yds of the ram.  He was watching the ram bedded there the whole time.  I took one more quick look at him through my spotting scope and headed back down the mountain now sure of where the ram was.  Within probably ten to fifteen minutes I was right on top of him, my heart pounding, looking down from the bench above at about 20 yards.  He looked even bigger and more impressive that he did through the scope.  He was awesome!  He was now standing broadside and after 5 minutes, I was finally able to draw and shoot when he looked downhill. It was a clean miss over his back. He ran downhill for about 100 yards, stopped and after about 10 min or so, started feeding. I couldn’t believe it. I started another stalk and before I knew it I was 20 yards from him, arrow nocked again.  I could just see the tops of his horns and he was looking in my direction.  He must have heard me.  I froze for a minute or so hoping he would go back to feeding, but instead he started walking strait toward me, curious of the sound he heard.  I lowered myself as he came up over the crest of the hill to stay out of direct sight.  He then turned broadside at about 15yds to head downwind of me.  Knowing he was about to get my wind, I knew it was now or never.  I rose slowly and started to draw my bow.  Before I was at half draw he had seen me and turned to run.  After a couple powerful leaps he was out of sight, down the mountain.  I watched for a while and could not find him. Knowing that I had just screwed up the chance of a lifetime and I may never see that ram again, I climbed back up to Dreux.  To top off my already depressed feeling, he started joking and giving me a hard time about missing the ram. What a great friend. That was the last we spoke. Just kidding, it was great having Dreux to share that hunt with.

Couple photos of the ram I ended up getting that my brother took through the spotting scope

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
:campfire:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
Great story Dave. Thanks, keep it coming.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: December 15, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
Very exciting,love those animals.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: December 15, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
Awesome bighorn!!
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Online highcountry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: December 15, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
I got my bag of popcorn, now I am ready for the adventure!(Thanks Beth for twisting his arm).

Offline Brad Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: December 15, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
Wow! My heart was pounding just reading that story. Nice ram and great story or great ram and nice story. Either way...  :thumbsup:
Mommy, where does bacon come from??
Well, a pig sweetheart.
Well how does a pig lay bacon??
Cassie 5

Daddy, what season is it?
Well, winter season honey.
No! What "hunting" season is it!!
Cassie 8

Kids, ya gotta love'um!

Offline bgremill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
Congrats Dave!  The bighorn is my ultimate traditional bowhunting dream.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©