3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Brace Height Question  (Read 217 times)

Offline Rock Crusher

• Trad Bowhunter
Brace Height Question
« on: October 28, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
Okay I have a Kohannah Hunter recurve 64" long 50 @ 29". I thought the thing was a little noisy couldn't get it to quiet down so I got a SBD bow string 6 strand high performance. It's a excellent string and much very quiet. My problem is to get rid of vibrating limbs and hand shock I had to raise the brace height to 9 3/16". The highest recomended brace height is 7 3/4". Is this gonna hurt the bow and what does it do as far as arrow speed anything worth mentioning? Thanks RC

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Brace Height Question
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
I would say that is way too high....use some good silencers and set it to the proper height.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline Rock Crusher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 05:34:00 AM »
I got two cat whisker silencers. My problem is I can get it fairly quiet going lower but it vibarates and buzzes so bad.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 05:42:00 AM »
That is very high, and it will drop your arrow speed.  What is the weight of your arrows?  A light arrow will cause trouble for you.

The silencers need to be equally spaced on the string.  I like mine at 1/4 of the total string length from the tips.  (60" string - 15" from the tip)  I don't use the cat whiskers, although plenty of people do.  My preference is the Hush Puppies and Bow Hush silencers.  Haven't found a bow they won't quiet down yet.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Rock Crusher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 05:43:00 AM »
I'm shooting a 580-600 grain arrow I don't think that's the problem. I can get the noise acceptable but the hand shock is so bad if I go down to the suggested brace height. Thanks for the advice.

Offline Airborne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 11:01:00 AM »
Maybe you could try those rubber limbsaver mushroom looking things that you put on the bow limbs.  If you put them lower on the bow limb they will not affect the speed and they would probably take some vibration out.  Here is a link:
 https://www.limbsaver.com/store/product.php?productid=16197&cat=0&page=1

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
I have a 6 strand string that gives some of my high end bows hand shock. On others it works fine. In all cases the 6 strand was much quieter.

I would try a different "skinny string" maybe a 8 or 10 strand and see if that helps.
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©