3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ohfer 2  (Read 203 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ohfer 2
« on: October 28, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
Had another doe string jump this evening and dip just below the arrow. I'm gonna start aiming for the bottom line of the chest at the elbow.

Got home and told the wife. She said, "Awww for you. Yay for the deer!"

Doesn't matter. I was within 17 yards of two deer for more than 20 minutes until I got the broadside presentation. Perfect setup except for the dipping of the doe. Arrow releas was good and flight path was where I aimed. Just gotta quieten this bow or aim lower in anticipation of the dip.

They were so close I squinted to keep them from seeing me blink. I swore she heard my heart racing. Man what excitement! I'm having a good time just seeing them get that close. I've been in the woods about five times this season. Seen deer each time except one. Second miss   :D  

I'll probably keep the bow all thru season and ditch the gun later in the year.  :cool:  
Whoohoo!
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ohfer 2
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
Oh, forgot. I'm hunting from the ground behind some burlap and vegetation. She kept looking my way with her head held high and nose curled up sniffing away but never winded me. Wind was crossing and taking any smell from me away from her.

Still on a rush... Man I love hunting even if getting skunked!

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
Keep at it.  It's bound to go your way before long.

:campfire:   We'll be waiting!!!!!
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
opps!! double post
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline Kip l Hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
Throwing splinters at alert deer especially from the ground is almost a guarantee of a miss.  If you are going to aim low make sure that you actually pick a spot on something like a leaf or twig below the deer.  I have had alert deer duck the string at 15 yards with a bow that shot over 200 fps. Even if your bow doesn't make any noise at all, the limbs move and that is all it takes.

Pass on the shot, pick a spot 6" low and or be prepared to suffer the anquish of a miss.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
Pass on the shot, pick a spot 6" low and or be prepared to suffer the anquish of a miss. [/QB]
No anguish. I've been smiling and remembering the events leading up to the missed shot. Was smiling as I watched her run off about 30 yards and stop and blow like crazy. She never did run completely away until several minutes later.

I love the woods and the hunt. The kill is just the end of it all. Then the work begins.

Lovin' it all....
   :thumbsup:

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 06:25:00 AM »
You have the right attitude to enjoy bow hunting. Good on you. Have fun  :thumbsup:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Airborne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
That is good advice on aiming low--I am going to Ohio to hunt whitetails in three weeks and I think I will aim a little low on them--hope it works for me!

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
Hang in there, just have fun and the rest will come.
bolong

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
Keep at it.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©