3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hunting boots for rocky mountains  (Read 628 times)

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
hunting boots for rocky mountains
« on: October 29, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
I need to get some ideas of the type of boot I should be looking for, for rocky mountain elk hunting. Help please!  :pray:
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: hunting boots for rocky mountains
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
Hi  I've hunted the rockies for thirty years. I am mostly in my cross trainer athletic shoes because they are  comfortable, QUIET, and protect the soles of my tender feet.  I do worry some about turning a ankle in them.  Also wear the high top boots that I hike in, if the weather is wet or cold.
Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
Try as many brands as possible but I really like the Asolo 520.   They are very sturdy, high quality, waterproof hiker.

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
My fav boot for Elk hunting when I was in CO was the Danner Pronghorn.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
I have lived, worked, and hunted in the west in Washington and Wyoming for 27 years.  My work is as a wildlife professional and I love to hunt, so I have worn out many boots over these years.  Depending on where you are hunting, hunting elk usually takes you into some pretty rough terrain.  My suggestion for boots is to get a good quality boot that supports the ankle well due to climbing mountains (I like the 9" height).  If you are bowhunting, you may want the lighter softer soled boots to be quieter.  If you are not in really steep terrain, the Maine hunting boot or newer stalking boots are acceptable, but again, if in steep terrain you may want the leather boot that covers and supports the ankles with a fairly aggressibe tread.  Others may disagree, but I like the air bob soles rather than lug soles.  The traction are round protrusions rather than square lugs.  These provide adequate traction but are softer and quieter than heavy square lugs.  Many manufacturers make good boots.  I like Danner, Cabela's 6 Point boot, Irish setter, etc.  Good luck and have fun.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
Asolo TP 535 can't count the pairs I have worn out over the years.
Great boot!

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
You'll get all kinds of specific recomendations.  Every boot fits someones feet perfectly, unfortunately it may not be your feet.  Try lots of different brands on and eventually you'll get to a pair that says "you're home" those are the ones to buy.

The ones that say that to me are Kennetreks.

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
"Every boot fits someones feet perfectly, unfortunately it may not be your feet."  I'll say amen to that quote.  I have been wearing some sort of boot for 50 odd years, and I've probably tried most styles and many makes.  I've spent hours walking around the store in a pair of boots trying to determine whether they fit right or not. Most of the time I have settled for something that turned out to be unsatisfactory over time. I'm a surveyor, so I wear boots of some sort 95% of the time, either working or hunting.

I've discovered that if you continually wear boots that don't fit right, eventually your feet will pay for it.

I always subscribed to the notion that a person needed a stiff, heavy-duty boot for the rough, steep, rocky terrain we encounter here in Idaho hunting for elk. However,after having some major problems with my feet due to boots that did not fit right,  I finally broke down and ordered a pair of Russells because they custom make them for your feet.  I had to send the first pair back because I evidently did not measure correctly.  Once I got the right measurements, the result has been very satisfactory.  They are moccasin in construction with a very thin sole and are termed "minimal", meaning no arch support and no heel. I have plenty of ankle support, partly because I have strengthened my feet and ankles by running in "minimalist" footwear and wearing them while hiking around in rough, steep country.  Balance is better and traction is much better than hard, stiff lug soles.

Just remember, you can keep physically fit in all respects, excercise, climb mountains etc. but if your feet give out you are done for.  It's tough to elk hunt without being able to hike.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
check the Kenetrek line for top quality and lots of options to fit the conditions.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
There are some pretty stark differences in terrain out here in the elk woods. One boot certainly can do it all, but knowing if your terrain is of a certain type would really allow you to better choose your boots.
For example, the boots I use are great for the higher rocky terrain I sometimes see, but I pay a price in noise, and sweating if its hot. I get around this by easing the sole edge to make it rounder and taking them off to stalk. Its a hassle but one I am willing to make given their other qualities. (dry, rugged, well made)I would suggest not gong too heavy with any boot though. Its torsional rigidity (the ability of the sole to resist twisting) that you really want more than anything else outside of gtex or not and style IMO.
Having a boot that protects your ankles from bone bruises from rocks is a big deal for me. Thats why I don't use athletic shoes. I've gotten them using low shoes and they are very tender for a long time.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Airborne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
I have had luck with the Mendle perfekt Hiker and the New Balance Rainier.  Both are light and are a good all around boot

Offline Rosco1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
My Red Wing boots have lasted me 15 archery seasons thus far. I would venture to guess they've seen thousands of mountain miles and have seen every possible weather scenario that Colorado has to offer.. And they're still going strong.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
As Italian I would suggest you Asolo,but there are a lot of other really good brands; I like the Russells for early season,or Meindl for wet wheater.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
White Smoke Jumper boots.

Offline jason1040

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
Danner Pronghorn
Todd Frickey Southfork Custom 70# @ 30"

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
So far lots of good suggestions. But are you going to be hunting in the cold and snow? If so, I'd suggest a good pair of pac boots with air bob soles. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either Schnee's or Hoffman's pacs.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by TOEJAMMER:
White Smoke Jumper boots.
The White's Boot company used to be located in downtown Spokane. Years ago, when I still lived in Spokane, I'd often walk by the store. They had big windows and one could see them making the boots. To this day White's are an outstanding, high quality boot. I have a hunting buddy that has worn them for decades and wouldn't think of buying any other brand. They are far from inexpensive, though.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
Danner makes a number of boots, 9-10" leather/cordova and all leather. Try them on, with the socks you will be using. You do not want them tight in the toes, or loose in the heel. Try walking down a ramp at the store to make sure your feet are not sliding forward. 200 Grams of insulation min. 600 in the snow.

If the weather is warm, try a good cross-trainer, or lightweight leather. Cabelas sells a Premier Upland boot which does not need breakin, is very comfortable and offers good support (non-insulated or insulated).

Unfortunately, a boot suited to warm weather and easy terrain won't work in snow or cold climates and vise versa.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
I really like the Danner pronghorn too...super fast break in, great support, traction and come uninsulated or several choices of insulated models, light weight and waterproof.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
Whatever you decide bring 2 pairs, preferably 3. Feet may get wet, boot might tear, be too close to the fire, whatever.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©