3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is there anything worse than.......  (Read 345 times)

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
Is there anything worse than.......
« on: October 29, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
So this morning I hike a mile in, carrying a climber.  Get to the base of the tree, start to get dressed by pulling on my SI bibs.  I'm standing on a side hill to boot, loose my balance, topple over like a freakin drunk ballet dancer.  Finally pull on my bibs, hobble back up to the base of the tree....somethin ain't right.....  Got my bibs on backwards.....

Hope tomorrow morning goes a little better.....
Otto

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is there anything worse than.......
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
I can't even begin to tell you the horror stories of bad mornings trying to get set up. Some days just go like that.Good thing you didn't hurt your self. Better luck next time.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Airborne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
My first time in a climber stand had the bottom fall out from under me and did not attach it to the top part.  Had to do the koala bear all the way down the pine tree--ripped pants/shirt, covered in pine tar.  Some times things just don't work out!

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
Yesterday afternoon I went to my best spot.I have hunted this place for more than 25 years.I have killed several big bucks and probably 50 does on this farm.As soon as I turned the corner and could see the entrance to the farm, and I knew something was very WRONG.When I pulled in the once overgrown lane I could instantly see 3 semi trucks a skidder, dozer and a bobcat.There was only one conclusion to be drawn.THE ARE LOGGING THE PLACE.
They had just gotten started that day and it was already a mess.SO, as you can imagine I spent the evening trying to get my stands down before they were destroyed.As I took down my stands the loggers were doing their work.Droping big old trees that I have hunted out of for years.I literaly felt sick to my stomach.As I pulled my stands from my faithful spot, I could not help but think of all the deer from the past years.Those that got away along with those that did not.
They told me that they were taking every tree 14" and larger.The place is going to be a real mess for awhile.I know,I know the tress will grow back,and the deer will be in there thick while it is overgrown with briars and brambles until the trees get large enough to choke it out.
Dont get me wrong this is in no way ment to reflect badly on logging.It was just very painful to watch it happen to a place that has ment so much to me.It was like watching an old friend die, slowly.
Bill

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
how about drive 500 miles to your hunt.  Haul all your stuff into the hotel and then discover you picked up the wrong duffel bag.  Oh crap!
Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
At least you weren't taken a leak when you slipped.   :scared:    :biglaugh:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
Ahhhh yeah!  One afternoon hunt last year after work, I huried in gathered my stuff and set of on a 15 min drive.  Got out, went to the back of the suburban and slipped on my ASAT and put my pack on my back and reached for my bow.  Hmmm, must have put it in the front seat, nope not there either!!  Yep!!! Left it at home.

:knothead:
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Never put my bibs on backwards before! But I did take a heck of a spill down a hill Wednesday in the dark. Burried the top limb of my bow several inches in the dirt on the opposite bank when i came to a stop! Luckly nothing hurt but my prde.

Bill, I can relate to your story I wanted to cry when they logged my childhood woods a few years ago.

Drove with Dad last year 3 hours for a one day hunt only to find out when we got there that he hadn"t brought any arrows!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
One year while hunting with a selfbow I didn’t like the weight of my usual bow quiver so I used one of Mark Bakers Quiver Caddies instead.  Lenny Brown and I were glassing the hillside on a late season elk hunt and spotted some elk headed for a natural funnel, framed by the frozen Gallatin River and a rock point.  We took off running, slid across the river and got set into position just in time.  However, when I grabbed for an arrow from my quiver, it wasn’t there.  You got it, they were in the truck.  I quickly grabbed one from Lenny, but it was only 27” (or so he claimed, I think it 26” at most) but I figured I could make a good 4 or 5 yard shot with it.  I might of been lucky the wind shifted and they caught our scent thirty yards out, switched direction and left, preventing me from taking a shot at one of them.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 12:20:00 AM »
This is funny, keep'em comming!!

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 01:16:00 AM »
Not a backwards britches deal..........but

I was night fishing for carp with my dad's bud and one of his deer hunting/fishing buds came over to drink beer and chat.

Deer hunting stories came around of course.

Chili and beer I think at the camper, hunting a northern F&W area, late season.

Nature called rudely, he dropped his coveralls.

Never saw a deer all afternoon, evening, kept smelling something rank.

Cold, but a good thing he never put up his hood.

Had a steamer for hours on end as a papoose.
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 01:18:00 AM »
Guess that'd be a poopoose.

Ol Jim told that story (colorful character). Ruined any fishing we could do for an hr.

Snot bubbles and knee slaps, laughed so hard we couldn't breathe (hurt pretty bad too).
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 01:37:00 AM »
Last time I have been able to get out hunting was 2 weeks ago yesterday. Got up and drove around 25 miles to some property and got everything ready only to find out I had left my bow at home.
Hopped into my truck and raced home and grabbed my bow and drove 3 miles to some other property and grabbed my bow and hustled to a ground blind and made it there just as it was getting light, only to find out my arrows were still in my truck.
It's not fun getting old.
Hap

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 01:39:00 AM »
Airborne,
Did the same thing several years ago.  Had the common sense at least to unhook and drop the seat portion first though because I'd never be able to get back up to it!  First thing I did once I got down was lash the two together with a long shoelace from my pac boots... Fool me once...
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 03:50:00 AM »
ahhhh the memories of elk camp.one year around 2002 to be exact my hunting buddy carl and i were puttin the sneak on a herd bull and a few satellite bulls that were screamin their heads off.we worked our way in close and carl stopped to let me advance so he could call a bull past me.i scurried ahead and stepped on the end of a downed limb that promptly flipped up and beaned me between the eyes.bloody nose,fat lip,bruised forehead and ego and a hunting buddy that laughed until he about pissed himself made for a long hike back to camp.  :rolleyes:    :bigsmyl:    :rolleyes:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
Because I have one of "those days" several times a year I have named them "the dreaded Bozo days", for Bozo the clown.

Offline JRT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
We had a friend up here hnting with us this september, he has a brand new great northern filled with MFX arrows. he had just bought a camo fletch hood. one of the first days out he hadto go so laid them down but that camo was too good, there still up there. somewhere...
A real bummer but he took it good
Quiet Bows and True Arrows

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©