3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: WI Hunt day by day (Success on a doe photos added)  (Read 712 times)

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
WI Hunt day by day (Success on a doe photos added)
« on: October 29, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
It seems like I will have internet on this hunt so I'm going to try and post at least a daily update on my progress here in WI.

Thanks to the joys of airport travel I arrived a hunt late and while I was enjoying a night halfway to my hunt a few good deer were seen in my absence. Hopefully they will move again in the morning as well.

I saw about 8-10 deer this afternoon with a young little 6-8PT being the biggest buck I saw. I did have a doe or two in range and even drew on one for a practice. Just don't want to possibly blow out my area by shooting a doe to soon. Time will tell if that's the smart move.

This little guy come in and bed about 15-yards in front of me. You can't tell it from this photo but he's a little button head.

CJ

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: WI Hunt day by day (Success on a doe photos added)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
Keep them comming, we are with you!!

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
Good luck to you sir!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
THe morning hunt started off reeallllyyyy slow. With only a buttonhead to get me company for the first hour or two. Someone must have dumped magic buttonhead dust on me as I seem to see one every time out.

Anyway after putting in some time behind the binos I spotted a buck about 80-yards away from me. I knew he was a buck and he wasn't heading my way so I tried some calling but all I got out of him was a look in my direction. Which was good enough as he was just a little guy and no big loss this early in the hunt.

Another 45-mins drags by and I hear a chase and catch just the tale end of it as a nice 9 or 10pt runs a doe behind me. He's not super tall but he looks wide. Almost like his points flare away from each other instead of curving in.

His mouth is hanging open and as he gives one last look in the direction of the doe, he starts heading towards a known bedding area. He's out of range and not on a course that will bring him any closer so once again with nothing to lose I go to the calls. Stopped him a couple of times and even got one look but he had made up his mind and was not changing it. Walked out of sight and despite sitting there for another hour I never saw him or any other deer.

Here's a photo of my bow that shows the area the larger buck walked through. He was just too far and not interested at all in what I was saying.

The wind had picked back up and it was a little warmer than I would have liked so I expect that had something to do with the lack of deer movement.

Getting ready for the afternoon hunt!
CJ

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
The bucks are chasing hard. From what I saw tonight (out of range) the big challenge will be getting one to stop even if they are in range. They were relentless after the does!
Thanks for the updates - keep it coming!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
I need to find a new place to hunt.
Slow for two days by me.

Keep us informed.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
I wish I had half the day you folks had. All I saw were feral cats, squirrels, and one lone hen turkey that tried to commit suicide behind my tree. Never even saw a deer until I got back to my step-mom's house tonight and watched two bucks trot across her front yard. It figures.

Offline Gottabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 06:43:00 AM »
Its spotty here also..I was covered up in Deer Thursday morning..passed on 4 smaller bucks took my second Doe of the season.  It was slow in the afternoon and had a buck..140ish maybe 150 about an hour before dark with a Doe..Friday nothing but Two Does a Fisher and a Coyote..yesterday nothing.  I think this coming week will be awesome if the Temps cooperate.

Offline Bone lake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 07:20:00 AM »
Sounds like your having a good hunt sc.I'm seeing lots of bucks cruzing with a chase every once in a while. Saw 8 different bucks Friday,3 Saturday and 4 bears, had my 13 year old son in the tree with me yesterday morning. Had a great time, One nice 8 pt. came by at 17 yards but never gave him a good shot,He was grinning from ear to ear, said Dad that was COOL!

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
Had a great hunt yesterday PM but saw zero bucks. Except a buttonhead of course....it wouldn't be a hunt for me without at least one buttonhead coming by.

Took this photo of a doe with her head between two trees. The photo doesn't really show it but there are two trees from the same trunk. She was getting a drink of water out of the hollow. She's just under 20-yards from me.

She knew just where it was as she walked straight to it.

Had a few more does come by but that was it for the evening.

This am I was going to a new spot but missed my turn so I just sat the ladder I came to instead of the one I was going to. Had a red fox walk right under me just at daylight....which was when I realized I left my camera at the house.

Didn't see a deer until 8:30. But when I saw the first one, I had deer around me for the next 2 hours. Saw a couple of little guys chasing, one without an antler on his left side. Had a few does come by and of course a buttonhead.

Also got a photo of this buck on a scrape early this am. Not huge but still a nice buck....especially for me;) The camera is one of the Primos Truth cams. I got it right before I left so I brought it along to see how it works and scout some areas during the hunt. Takes really good photos and is a lot easier to set up than some I've tried.

Thinking about going out for a midday sit. Weather is a lot cooler today and I can't shoot one sitting in the lodge
CJ

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
Just finished a long afternoon on stand. Went in about 1pm and sat til dark. Saw a bunch of deer but again no shooter bucks.

I took my camera in and hung it on a scrape just to the right of my setup so I can see if anything comes by while I'm gone. Probably going back to the same place in the morning as I'm seeing a lot of does.

Here's a photo of the scrape and the cam from my stand.

And of course I had the usual buttonhead come through. This one worked the scrape for a long time before moving on.

In addition to buttonhead #2, I had a couple of does slip through and then a small 7pt ran a few does around below me. Eventually a couple more does came out and he actually herded them by me just at last light. I had decided I would hold off on doe shooting until tomorrow at least in hopes of getting a crack at a bruiser. Gets tougher every day!

I think I'm gonna give the spot another shot in the morning. LIke I said, I've been seeing plenty of does and my hope is eventually a good buck will come through to check them out.
CJ

Offline package

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
good luck

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
Well this morning was a total bust...saw one buttonhead. The highlight of my morning was remembering I had a candy bar hidden in my pack.

But I did check the camera on the scrape and caught these two in the act. I was wondering if me hanging the camera would deter them from using the scrape...guess not.

Or that dominate buck urine I poured in made them overlook it.....

Hopefully the big boys start moving soon!!
CJ

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 02:50:00 PM »
Anybody else in WI having in luck right now??
CJ

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
No Luck by me.
Go to a new spot Thursday.
I hope thing change.

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
I was really impressed by all the deer action this past weekend. I left work at noon friday and got a couple hours in. wow, what a hunt. I had never seen bucks fight before, just some sparing. But these deer were down right ornery. I saw four different fights and heard another. It wasn't all the same instagator as two fights were going on at once. Most of the bucks were year and a half models but there was one or two 2 and ahalfs out there. Had a pair of buttons come under the tree I was in and then the next morning nearly a half mile away had them or another pair of buttons come under my tree heading the opposite direction. Sunday was a great day with a good dozen deer in the morning sighted and nearly twice that in the evening. Oh yeah, Sunday morning as I was getting dressed I glassed the hay field  and saw tow more bucks fighting for well over five minutes. Although they were at least 250 yds away you could see them with the moonlight and frosty background. Way cool way to start the day.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Greg,

Two bucks fighting in a hayfield is about the best way to start a morning!! That's awesome

Finally after a few slow hunts I saw a lot of chasing by some good bucks this PM. First deer out were young does and a button (of course) but then it seemed like every time I picked up my Binos I saw more and different deer.

Saw one good 8pt feeding and looking and he did do a little chase of a doe. Didn't last too long. Then I spotted what looked like a big nine running a doe, but he was a little too far to be sure of exactly what his head gear was.

Eventually all the chasing actually moved a bunch of does and fawns under me. AHhhhh live bait. But none of the bucks were interested enough to come over to where the does were.

I actually drew on one doe but I kept thinking about all those bucks and how I wanted to sit there at least once more without jacking it up. WIth my luck, that doe would have ran right thru the middle of all the activity.

And then right at dark, I heard a deep grunt. At first I thought it was my buddy who was hunting not too far from me. I was wrong. I happened to be glassing the right opening when a true giant ran through chasing a doe. There was still enough light to shoot but he wasn't coming my way at all. High and wide with good mass. I didn't get a chance to count points but He's for sure one of the biggest deer I've ever seen in the woods.

Obviously I will be in the same neighbor hood in the morning.....
CJ

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
Good luck CJ.
I haven't been able to get out to much, but Sunday after a trip to ER.....it's a long story!

I went out late afternoon Sunday....after my ER trip and had 4 bucks around me at the same time anywhere from 20 to 80 yds away. I heard more deer vocalizations than I've heard ever in the deer woods. They where grunting, roaring making a popping sound that I've never heard before and then some fight mixed in between. The bigger buck never came within range.....but what a fun 30 minutes on deer stand! That's what it's all about!....the memories.
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »
No arrows loosed here yet, but I was still seeing something every time in the woods.  Lots of bucks moving - just waiting  on the right one to come my way.  This is my favorite week of the fall - should be great!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
Thanks for posting,good luck guys.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©