3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: WI Hunt day by day (Success on a doe photos added)  (Read 711 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: WI Hunt day by day (Success on a doe photos added)
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
After spending the past few days hunting up at our cabin I am back home for a couple of days before heading back up.  I have some good hunting right here behind the house, and normally hunt here as much as I can.  

But this morning I was lazy and stayed in.  Only to look out the window a few minutes ago and watch a beautiful tall tined 8 pointer chasing three does all around the prairie grasses below our house.   :knothead:      :knothead:      :knothead:      :knothead:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 08:48:00 AM »
CJ, keep after them. You're in the right location if those does cooperate and stay around.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
This morning was a beauty! Right at daylight I spotted a nice buck across a cut soybean field. Way too far away for me to tell what he was or for him to hear my grunts. Here's a photo of the view from the front of my stand.

I started seeing more deer, including a couple of little bucks running does. Suddenly I picked up a decent buck heading my way through the binos. He veered off and went to a lone oak for a scrape I assume. With nothing to lose I started grunting at him. He takes an interest and starts working my way.

Forgive the fuzzy photo but I shot it through my bino. Which works great if you can get locked in tight. Unfortunately I was a little wobbly since I had to lean out to see. Turns out he never gave me an option to take him or pass him. Halfway to me something got his attention and he turned around and marched right back where he came from. Nothing else I did got his interest.

Later on a couple of big does started picking their way towards me. After turning around, changing directions and everything else they finally ended up in bow range. Facing me, but in bow range. I'm looking behind my tree when the lead doe starts heading my way. Looks like she's going to the left behind my tree so I ease my harness strap over my head and carefully slide my recurve to that side of the tree. Easing an eye out from the tree, I realize she has changed directions and will now pass on my right side. Once again I switch sides and safety belt without getting busted but she is right under me and I just don't like that angle.

She works a little farther out and just when it looks like both will walk off without giving me a shot, the lead doe turns and takes a few critical steps opening her up for a shot. I drop the string on the stalker and she bolts only going about 60-yards. I could actually see where she fell from my stand.

And here's one of my ugly mug with the doe. Compared to those "pine goats" I'm used to shooting  in SC she is huge!! I'm pretty fired up about getting her but I'm still hoping a good buck will wonder by before I head home.

CJ

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
Very cool! Thanks for continuing to share this hunt with us.  Good luck with your "buck quest"!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
Way to go CJ!! Sounds like you are really in the thick of it there.  Doe down, and a good buck still to come I'm thinking  :thumbsup:  
Thanks for the updates - I'm enjoying tagging along on your visit to our state.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Gottabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
CJ, awsome Doe..where abouts are you hunting in Wisconsin?

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
I believe I'm hunting North of Pardeeville.

Thanks for the kind words.
CJ

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
Congrats on a fine doe!  :thumbsup:  Thanks for the updates they have been great.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
Great doe.  Good luck.  I don't think killing a doe will affect your area.  I have had friends see bucks smelling the gut pile of a deer shot the night before too often to worry about messing up an area with a kill.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
Great job, hopefully you will get a crack at a buck before you leave our state. I start a 10 vacation tomorrow and this thread has gotten me even more excited to hit the woods.

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
Good going CJ. I hope you get a crack a nice buck. I regret not taking a few more days off right now but plan to make up for that soon. I see you enjoy the hunt here. Good for you! Wisconsin has become a tougher state to manage the deer herd. We have habitat from one end to the other but climate, predators, agriculture, and hunting methods vary greatly and the gaps get bigger every year. Hopefully some of those problems can be fixed.

Thanks for keeping us posted. How long will you be here?
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
Well, I tried a new tactic this afternoon and sat on the ground. My set up was at the head of a draw that I thought would funnel some deer into the acorn flats I'd seen them feeding in before.

I just backed into a thicket and did a little trimming. About 15 minutes after I got set, 12 gobblers came through. I'm thinking all my scratching around to get set up must have made them expect to find more turkeys. They were looking around like turkeys coming to the call. The gobblers hung out for a little while about 15-yards in front of me. Wishing the whole time I would have bought that turkey tag after all. Oh well...

About 5pm I saw a doe come out on the far side of the hill and actually bed. She stayed there until a young doe came by just to my right. The second doe was so close I could actually smell her.....Had to be within 7 or 8 yards.

She eventually fed in front of me and walked off. The other doe got up and feed across the draw and ended up in front me under a red oak feeding at about 20-yards. Eventually she turned broadside and put her head behind a patch of briars.

I was sitting on a low log and needed to twist a little more to my right to make the shot. Since I was rewarded with the load whack of my arrow burying into the red oak...I'm guessing I should have twisting a little more....or held my mouth different...or anyone of the other hundred reasons I came up with for my miss. No matter what I missed....
CJ

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
I just got back from hunting up North in Iron Cty.  It is a Buck only area, only saw one doe while hunting.  On my cameras the biggest Buck is a fork horn.  

Good Luck on your hunt CJ.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
Just finished up my last hunt here in WI. Saw a little buck and a doe this am and about 8 or 9 does and fawns this pm. Great hunt, with awesome friends and I love coming here. It truly is one of my favorite places in the world to hunt.

Here's a photo of the sun setting I snapped from my tree this PM. Thought it was a nice way to close the thread out. Thanks for reading!!

CJ

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2010, 05:26:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing. Glad you had a good hunt. Fill us in again next year.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2010, 05:54:00 AM »
:clapper:     :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2010, 06:24:00 AM »
Thanks CJ, and congrats on a great hunt.
Come back soon!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2010, 06:58:00 AM »
Excellent!!!  :thumbsup:

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2010, 08:03:00 AM »
Nice job on that doe CJ, sure enjoyed following the hunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©