3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sitka gear vs. Gray wolf wolfskin  (Read 713 times)

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
Sitka gear vs. Gray wolf wolfskin
« on: October 30, 2010, 01:26:00 AM »
Still on my quest for new hunting clothes.  Narrowed it down to these two.  The way I see it the cost is about the same but neither is cheap so working real hard to research this "investment".  For those of you that may have had/tried both which did you prefer and why?  I'm a big fan of predator camo but we all know camo's overrated.  I need something that #1 I can walk in without being weighed down.  #2 I treestand hunt alot so I need to be able to layer under it down to about 40degrees (heater body suit if it goes below that).  And #3 The most weather resistant, i.e. a sudden shower/ misting rain.  And yes, made in the U.S. is a factor giving the nod to Gray Wolf because I'm so sick of seeing "Made in China".  Thanks for all responses.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Online crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sitka gear vs. Gray wolf wolfskin
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 04:26:00 AM »
I am interested to see some responses to your question. I have never owned either but have considered both as well. You answered your own question though.
USA

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 07:09:00 AM »
I have both.  Haven't used my Wolfskin in 4 years.

DWR and lightweight is a wash.

Layering--Sitka

Breathability--Sitka

The thing you will like most about your Sitka Gear if you buy it properly is it does not have to be baggy and loose fitting to be comfortable.  It stretched and moves with you.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 07:30:00 AM »
I use Wolf Skin for warm and cool weather hunting and love it.

It is a little warm but when it is hot outside what isn't.

Big plus for me is the Predator patterns. Spring Green, Fall Gray and Brown our my favorite patterns plus it is light weight, very durable, and water resistant.

It is not going to keep dry in a downpour but dew on the ground or light showers it holds up very well. Also it drys very quickly.

Another plus is the GGW is made to your specs. It is custom made and they will add or take away pretty much whatever you like.

Do not be afraid to ask for options that are not listed. It is can be sewn Lori will take care of it.

I have tried Sitka gear, sold a long time ago, and it is good clothing but I prefer the GGW Wolf Skin.

Hope this helps.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 08:02:00 AM »
Don`t forgot to check out Day One...they make some good qaulity clothing as well.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
I haven't owned Sitka so can't give you a comparison. I'm thinking of buying another set of camo myself and these are the 2 I would consider as well.

Plenty of people like Sitka so I'm sure it's good stuff. I do wonder about it for layering though. If it is made to fit tight to your body how does other stuff fit underneath?

I have a set of GW Wolfskin now that I absolutely love. Quiet, sheds light rain, custom tailored, loose enough to layer up underneath. And while I agree camo can be over rated, I love Predator or other large paaterns. In certain situations I believe it DOES make a difference.

In my mind the GW is more versitle. One set and wear whatever else you need under it. Sitka seems like you would need a bunch of diiferent outfits to cover all the extremes.

But I'd love to hear from the Sitka guys before I make up my mind. Steve, is there one Sitka product that would be best for layering up?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
Joe it is counter intuitive to have one item of clothing that is best for layering up.  The Sitka Gear is designed to be layered and used together.  It doesn't bind, it moves with you.  If nothing else, YOU of all people should pick up a pair of Ascent or Mountain pants for elk hunting.  Instead of binding and holding your legs back with each step up the mountain, those pants feel like the help lift your legs...no kidding!  Check with Fikkert.

I have purposely added layer upon layer of SG to test it. No matter how hot I was and pouring out sweat, I was never uncomfortable.  To give you an idea how well it pulls moisture out without leaving you cold and clammy, I wrecked a Blackberry in my outside pocket of a Celsius jacket last year from wearing it on a long ridge filled walk to stand one morning.  You can have a half dozen layer of SG on and not feel all bound up.

One more illustration for you.  One year at Compton, I had Denny Sturgis and Mike Mitten chatting by the booth.  The show dummy had MEDIUM clothes on it.  I had both Mike and Denny put that jacket on and draw nearby bows.  No problem!  You would not go to that extreme for a tight fit, but it shows how well the material stretches.  It also shows how well SG is put together...those zippers and seams were under a SEVERE load   :biglaugh:  

I will bring all my gear to Kzoo and you can try it out.  Beware though, I have a buddy on the way back from CO right now that borrowed some of my SG for an elk hunt...he said he lost it and I will have to replace it.

Online Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
I have some Wolfskin pants, but have never tried the Sitka stuff.  Lot of people really like it.  I've been happy with my Wolfskin pants.  Had 'em about five years.  Quality product, but alas, I can't give you a comparison either.  I do know that you can have my Gray Wolf wool clothing when you pry it from my cold dead body.  LOL!  Love that stuff.
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
I'd like to try it on Steve. Can you layer up other stuff underneath it without binding?  I know the Sitka is great stuff, but I really don't want to buy all new stuff for underneath.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
I have no experience with GWW & only limited experience with Sitka, but I would guess that I'm your average Sitka customer, meaning that I don't own the full layering range, just the Celcius jacket & pants.

On their own, I frankly don't rate them that highly for keeping out the cold. They'll turn water like a duck, but you're just dry & cold.

I get the impression that Sitka gear is comparable to a lot of other technical mountain clothing, in that each individual layer is not that good as a stand alone item of clothing. You really need to buy the full 'system' to get the benefits. Fantastic when it's all together, layered correctly, but 9/10 useless you're prepared to pay for it all.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
Joe, you can.  Like your Smartwool undies are the only thing I've found that works close to as good as the SG base layers.  There are all kinds of options...I'll give you a hand.

Also, if anyone else needs any advice on what Sitka Gear will work well, I've used all of it except the top end rain gear in conditions ranging from climbing 14 hours a day at 12-13,000 feet for Bighorn Sheep to sitting in the pouring rain for 11 hours day  four days straight (good lord that was the worst weather i have ever seen) for Brown Bear...pm me and I can probably tell you  what will work for the hunts you have planned.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
First off, I have never even tried on any of the Sitka Gear.......but from the number of people that use it......it has to be good stuff.

I have always loved the predator pattern camo and just about the time that Jeff was taking over the company from Mark Barger (the original owner) I contacted him about having something made for both my wife and myself. I was "sick and tired" of replacing the lower quality stuff that we had owned all our lives and was ready to make a "one time" purchase that would last.

I ordered two of the wolfskin bibs, coat, elmer fudd hat and the mittens along with the camo face mask pullover. We have worn, washed, and re-worn these for several years now and it ALL still looks like it just arrived. No fading, ripping or tearing and actually sheds burrs fairly well. We went all out and got the insulation and the wind-stop in everything but the pullover face masks. The absolute ONLY thing that makes these uncomfortable is that in warm weather they are "hot" to wear.

They were made to our body measurements, have performed flawlessly in every way. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase everything again in the future........but most likely won't be necessary unless we both put on an awful lot of weight. This stuff(wolfskin) is pretty much indestructible......and it wicks moisture away from your body very well. As Chris said above, it dries very fast, and unless you are out in a downpour it keeps you dry.

Excellent product.......made in the U.S.A. by a GREAT bunch of people. We are both happy and comfortable when the cold winds blow. As I said earlier.......I don't know anything about the Sitka Gear, but why fix something that isn't broken.....at least for US.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
Everyone, please do NOT take anything I have said as negative about Gray Wolf.  Jeff is a great guy and makes great stuff--I l Ike it enough that I haven't gotten rid of any of mine, and that says a lot.  I've tried about everything out there and for the cornucopia of places and animals I hunt, there is no doubt in my mind there is nothing more versatile than Sitka Gear.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
Great feedback and very appreciated.  Please continue.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
Well here is my opinion.  I've owned a little sitka and have not been impressed.  It is ok stuff and fits well but I didn't think it performed any better than much less expensive clothes.  I was hoping the breathability would be better.  Active hunting in Colorado, I get wet from the inside with the 90% jacket which isn't even waterproof.  Stand hunting this is less important.  Maybe they have improved it over the last couple of years.  I am still a wool fan and use a variety of weighted layers for depending on conditions.  Can't beat the warmth and breathability (and it doesn't stink up like synthetics) and if it rains, just trow a waterproof shell on.  Haven't tried the Gray Wolf wolfskin but their wool is good stuff.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
One more thing that I neglected to mention in my above post is that the bibs have zippers that travel from your waist, down the outside of your leg, all the way to the bottom. This makes for very easy removal while leaving your boots on. The zippers that they use are top quality, and with a little lubricant (unscented soap) every now and then they perform flawlessly.

They can (and do) have other modifications that can make your time in the outdoors a less cumbersome adventure. Give Jeff a call and ask him about his product........you can't go wrong with the Gray Wolf product and he'll make it the way YOU want it.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
I think the Sitka is great looking gear. I tried some on and getting the fit I need was an issue. I have had Gray Wolf for several years, both the Wolfskin and the wool and am more than happy with it. If I could wear "normal sizes", I would give the Sitka  rain gear a try.
My Gray Wolf was all custom order. I need a 37.25" sleeve and in the pants I wear the xl+ in the waist with the legs being xxl+. Long torso with wide shoulders and long arms and short thick legs (31.5" inseam).
I do prefer to buy made in the USA when ever I can so the Gray Wolf gets the nod there too, but from what I have seen of the Sitka gear it appears to be well made and I think the company is ran by some good folks!
Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whip:
I know the Sitka is great stuff, but I really don't want to buy all new stuff for underneath.
You'd probably need the 90% outfit and Celcius outfit for all seasons.  The Ascent was nice this year when it was 90 degrees.  I layer Sitka long undies and ll bean fleece pants and pullover under mine and maybe a wool shirt.  Covers temps from the teens to the seventies.
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
I'd probably try Sitka, if they make it BIGGER!!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Tradhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
I haven't tried GW yet but have used Sitka for a few season's along with my Day-One camo.

I tried the Sitka as it's a local made company. I picked up some pants and a shirt they fit good and pretty comfortable. But for the price I don't think it's anything special.

I would like to try some GW camo but I just haven't picked any up yet as my Day-One works out great for me and it's available in the camo patterns that work well for me.

I won't buy anymore Sitka gear as I don't see any advantage using it and I have a few other personal reasons why I won't but I will not go into that on here. In fact I'm giving what I have to a buddy.

I prefer Predator and ASAT patterns and some of the Realtree. Which I can get from a # of places and brands for cheeper and they last and work just as well as the Sitka stuff.
George

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©