3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need ground blind advice  (Read 401 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Need ground blind advice
« on: October 30, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
What is a good height blind for shooting traditional gear out of? Never hunted out of one but been looking at the Ameristep brickhouse,I think it is 66" tall. Is that tall enough? Thanks' in advance, Jason

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need ground blind advice
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
The most important thing is window height...I had a buddy buy a new blind that you could do jumping jacks in but the windows were not were they needed to be & couldn't shoot a recurve or longbow out of it...save yourself alot of time & money & get a Doublebull recurve model..
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline Aram Barsch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
Yup, double bull are the way to go. The cheaper blinds rattle in the wind - Deer dont like that.

Good luck.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
I have a Yukon Tracks Enforcer, works very well.  Only used it for Antelope seemed pretty quite in the wind.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
I got the one LBR had in the sponsor's classifieds.  I shot a coyote out of it using my 69" Hill.  I really don't have anything to compare it to, but I think it's great.  I can stand up in it, if I need to stretch, it sets up in about 30 seconds, and has room to fit a few people if you need to (you probably wouldn't be able to shoot your bow, though).  It has straps to keep it from buffeting in the wind and it has a nice carrying case, too.

Offline Airborne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
I have used double bull and also a cabelas brand blind--both worked great.  The best way to figure out shooting out of a blind is to have someone with a tape measure see how tall you will need when you draw and they can also measure the height of your firing line--use this data and compare it to the specs of a particular blind you are interested in--easy as that!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 04:41:00 AM »
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
I had a Brickhouse and shot a 62" longbow out of it without a problem. If you think that you are going to be using the blind a lot (putting up and down) you should consider a Double Bull. I have like new used one in the classifieds that is not much more than a Brickhouse. The durability and quality are miles apart though. The DB has the same dimensions as the Brickhouse.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
I have two Double Bulls and like the fact that I can adjust the window level and shoot sitting down. Have not used any others but I concur that the DB are probably the best and any that are as good are copies.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
Glad I read this, my boys are getting pretty po'd at me every time I go out and leave them home. A ground blind seems like the only way to go. Sitting on my lap in a treestand doesn't sound like a good idea. Double Bull it is from what I see here.....
David M. Conroy

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
Make one from an old blow down or some brush and branches and let it sit for a week and then hunt it.It's cheapest way!
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
I have a double bull darkhorse and a Scheel's brand, which is basically an amera-step.  I prefer the double bull, but amerastep makes a good blind for half the price.
>>>--------->

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
ive had a hand full and realy like the matrix from double bull but if you look around and find a used T2 from double bull they are usaly a good bit cheaper to buy and a realy good blind for most trad gear

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
My wife and I bought an Ameristep Penthouse just before this last Spring. It has worked very well for us and is HUGE! I am 6'4" and not skinny by any means. We can both sit in it and have plenty of room to draw and shoot, at the same time if we wanted to. I can stand up and stretch or shift my chair for a better shot angle. It even has zip-open windows for standing shots.

I have a Double Bull as well. It is a really good blind. I am not fond of the corner entry though. Since I am a big guy, I nearly tear the thing down just trying to get in. The Penthouse has a full side, zip open door.

I can't argue that the Double Bull is made with better materials, but I can buy three or four of the Ameristeps for the Double Bull price (we got ours from Amazon.com for a much lower price than ANY other dealer). We just retired an Ameristep Doghouse blind after using it for 8 years (door zipper finally gave out, can still be used with some repair). Following that logic, I can get 24-32 years out of 3 or 4 Ameristeps for the same price of the DB. I really don't think the one I have will last that long.

The DB does have a quicker set-up; again, no arguement there. We set up our blinds before season and brush them in for the whole season then take them down afterwards. So set-up time is of no consiquence for us. We don't worry about brushing for Turkey season.

I would recomend trying them out at the store. Get in, move around, then subtract HALF of the room in them to allow for bulky clothes, packs, bows and misc. gear and chairs.

You get a little bit of a view of our new blind in these pictures. These are our 2010 Spring Gobblers, both shot in the same day from the same set-up; about 6 hours apart.

Good luck with your hunting.

OkKeith

In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
Awesome turkeys!!! I just bought a Double Bull blind at Cabelas and will use it in the spring for turkeys.  :thumbsup:    :archer2:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©