3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how fast do most recurves shoot  (Read 3873 times)

Offline DaveKS

• Trad Bowhunter
how fast do most recurves shoot
« on: August 14, 2006, 07:57:00 PM »
Does a 65# recurve shoot as fast as a 65# compound bow?

I can't see where the difference would be, but it seems compounds of the same weight are faster

Offline justin snyder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how fast do most recurves shoot
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 08:04:00 PM »
No they dont. But some compounds shoot 300fps at 65# some shoot 200fps. Pulleys, cams, cables......   They dont have the weight of the limb moving like a recurve.  Justin

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 08:07:00 PM »
That's a fact  :D   The difference is in the mechanical advandage of pulleys....Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 08:11:00 PM »
They also like to shoot smaller vanes,&lighter arrows. Where the stick bow is usally a large feather with heavy arrows

Offline DaveKS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 08:17:00 PM »
So how fast does a, lets say a 55#, recurve shoot then?

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 08:22:00 PM »
It all depends on how efficient it is and what weight arrows you are shooting and how long the draw is at 55#s. Amo standards 30" draw 60# bow at 30" and a 540 grain arrow. Talking recurve now, can shoot anywhere from 170s to 210fps, some slower but none faster. Now take the same bows and shorten the draw to 28"s and ya go down at least 10-12fps. on those speeds. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 08:24:00 PM »
I should also answer your question. A high performance recurve of todays design and materials with a draw of 55#s at 28"s and shooting an arrow between 9-10 grains per pound of draw weight should shoot around 175-185 fps.    but again that is just ball park. Shawn
Shawn

Offline DaveKS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 08:25:00 PM »
ah, well now i know

thanks

-Dave

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 09:00:00 PM »
It's all relative to the arrow weight and efficiency of the bow like Shawn said.  Moreover, it doesn't really matter all that much  ;)  

You can have a 50 pound bow shooting decent carbons at 190fps and a 70 pound bow shooting heavy walled aluminums at 185fps. The slower bow will most likely be shooting flatter for a farther distance with more KE, and that's what really matters. In other words, what is the bow shooting at 10,20,30 40 yards ? That's what some of the wiser fellas here call "cast"

A chrono reading from 5' in front of the bow only tells part of the story... in my opinion anyway. Your mileage may vary.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 11:11:00 PM »
I'd say 180fps is a good average number for a top quality recurve shooting decently heavy arrows; you really don't pick up that much speed shooting really light arrows, it's hard on the bow, and it makes the bow much noisier.  But no, no recurve ever made will shoot as fast as the top compounds, pound for pound, with equal arrow weight.  It is no trick to shoot over 300fps with many of today's compounds; most hunting setups will shoot over 260fps.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
I just borrowed a chronograph and took a few shots before dark with the TD longbow I just made.  Was searching for threads on draw weight per arrow speed and ran across this old thread - no one actually answered this guys question plus trying to find answers my self.  To answer his question, no, a compound bow has a different force curve that a stick bow.  This photo is just an example of how the curves may look.  The energy a bow stores is the energy under the curve - obviously the modern compound, especially with a hard cam will store more.  

Steve

Offline Mudfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »
The bow I made that I"m shooting is 55# @ 29" and is shooting a 625gr arrow in the upper 150s. It is forgiving and quiet and I'm gonna drill some critters with it this year.  :archer:  

Done got 2.....I hope them critters don't mind gettin shot with a bow that is sorta ugly and slow.  :biglaugh:
"Dad, you and me are bow shooting huntin buddies OK?"

My son Kasey- age 5...Jan 8, 2007

Keith Bruner

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
Gotta agree Keith! Except in my case it's the archer that's ugly and slow.  :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 11:27:00 PM »
Hey Keith (should get my check for the banquet on Monday!),

I was trying to get an idea on how efficient the TD longbow I just made is when I ran across this old thread.  At just over 27" I think I'm pulling around 45#.  With some quick numbers before the rain came in I got 161ish with 560 grain arrows and 170ish with 500 grain arrows.  Looks like my new toy (my first lam bow)is right about where it needs to be.  I'm pleased.  Will test some more arrows tomorrow.  Steve

p.s. my bow may be ugly and slow, and with my knee, I'm definitely slow....but I'm not ugly - just ask my dog....when I feed her!    :biglaugh:

Offline mikecc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 10:33:00 AM »
I don't have a heavy enough trad bow around to compare with but I know my hunting partners mathews compound at 65# and 28" draw will shoot a 550grn arrow at 260fps. I figure even the fastest 65# recurve around would probably shoot that same arrow at 190-200fps. He has a coveted Utah bull elk tag this season and went into a local pro shop to get his bow tuned and they couldn't believe how heavy his arrows were, they told him he was 200 grns over what they recommend for elk. Go figure. Mike

Offline CaptJack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 10:59:00 AM »
My Partners is 55# at 31" - my full length 32" 2117s weigh 550grns with 125grn points - the bow shoots them at around 175fps

it really "THUMPS" the target

Partners TD / Quinn Stallion

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©