3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old Wooden stands  (Read 753 times)

Online 3dmuzzy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Old Wooden stands
« on: October 31, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
How many times have you walked though the woods and came apon a old wooden stand? As i seen this one I wondered how old it was,who hunted out of it,did they shoot any deer out of it.or even see any.I guess each one has a story to tell And some past memories >>>>>-----> ED
Put some air under it.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old Wooden stands
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
Over the years I have walked by lots of them. They are where they are for a reason.....usually a good spot and worth an extra look around.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
I've seen plenty of them and while the sight of one might spark a little backglancing to days of yore, do yourself a favor and make it a rule to stay out of them.    Climbing into old stands that you know nothing about is a great way to hurt or kill yourself.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
Whenever I find one, I look around really well. Sometimes, one of my hangons ends up very near to the old wooden stands.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
Just like ishi said, they're all over the woods in Jersey.   :saywhat:    :archer2:

Offline Airborne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
I just make sure to stay out of em--I dont want to become the end of the story!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
Airborne I hope no one ever goes up one of those old wooden stands.   :eek:    :knothead:     Especially without a parachute.   :goldtooth:   Don't want to see anyone go Airborne!!   :goldtooth:

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »
Ton of em out where I hunt in Pville. Most of em we put there but you still find some old ones no longer in use or safe to use. Other than that I spend a bit of tkime hunting out of one.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
I find that hunting near them can be darn good sometimes. They were built there for a reason usually.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
Back in the mid 70's I used to hunt a bow only area in Washington called Nason Creek. It was an area that Glenn StCharles and others worked hard to get designated as bow only hunting. Glenn and friends build a few cabins it the area on US Forest Service land. One got burnt down but the Chalet I believe is still standing and used as a ski cabin by cross country skiers.

I found many old wooden tree stands while hunting this area. It was a prime mule deer migration route when the snows hit the high country and I assumed that was why the tree stands. Glenn shot a big muley in the area that stood high in the State record books for a long time. There was a great picture of Glenn and Jay sitting under a giant Ponderosa pine with the big muley buck in his archery shop.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
Just yesterday I was helping a friend try and locate a deer his son shot on Friday night and when we all gathered at the base of a newer treestand that was on the ajoining property that we had permission to look for this deer I noticed something odd in a heavy briar patch...It was a newer metal stand all twisted up like a twister had tossed it there for it's final resting place...I've seen hundreds of old wooden broken down stands but to see a more modern metal stand just threw me for a loop...

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
Hunted by one this mourning.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
I have found some old stands in the swamps I hunt and put a new one next to it. If they are built good then they may be hotspots.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
Ed,
   the area Ron and i hunt has about a dozen or so like that and all of the same style so ya know it was 1 guy that built them and hunted the land for for a long time. the sights he must have saw, would love to have talked to the ole timer!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline GREASEMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
I always hang a portable not far from the old Woodies!They are there for a reason!

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
i'll take some pics this week and add them to your post.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
We called them permanent stands and I've hunted out of many back a long time ago.

Never went to the trouble to drag lumber into the woods or cut branches and sapplings to build one, but people who did go to the trouble made sure to put them in a good spot. I'd see a lot of them at old grown up home sites. Lots of times there would be fruit trees and several real old acorn trees at a home site.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
I have a different take on those old woodene permanent stands. I hate them. Walkingthrough a beautiful stand of woods, then seeing a decaying and falling off a tree is nothing more than litter to me. It annoys me that whom wver would take the trouble to build it wouldnt take the same trouble to haul the junk out after it rots away. They're eyesores.

Along with that, they are the most dangerous stand you can hunt from. They sit in the woods year round, as that tree swings and sways. Exposed to the elements, they weaken, and loosen up gradually over time. They look perfectly safe, but are know to have a step or something unexpectedly give way causing a fall.

I just returned from a hunt on a remote island of state land, the place is beautiful. But I wanted to puke every time I came across an old permanent treestand rotting and falling off a tree. To me its no different than running across a pile of beer cans or camp trash.

Yeah, they might be in a good area, but I just wish that good spot wasnt spoiled with someone elses dicarded junk.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
I personally think an old stand on public land is dangerous and an eye-soar to boot. If you feel comfortable doing it, I would suggest tearing them dowm and cleaning up the mess. Of course I would do this after the hunting season and only if you can do it safely.

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
I used to hunt out of them all the time. now I'm older and wiser................also too fat  :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©