3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what would you do??????  (Read 1329 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
what would you do??????
« on: October 31, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
Yesterday morning was watching a couple of bucks
with my binos from my treestand.They were about 70yds in this bottom working my way.Watching them for about 20min.then they moved were I couldn,t see them.Then all of a sudden one comes crashing through with a german shephard right on his track.This was about 8.00am.This wasn,t the first time it happened.Same thing 3 mornings ago
don,t want to giveup the stand.There are 2 dogs an neither has a collar.Any suggestions??
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what would you do??????
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
I have ZERO tolerance for roaming dogs or their owners. Hopefully that answered your question.

Offline captaincaveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
SSS

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
I don't know the laws in your state, but I sure wouldn't do anything illegal about it. Far too many horrible things could happen. Think about potential consequences before doing anything rash. The wrong decision could not only haunt you for a long time to come, it could also reflect badly on all bowhunters. We sure don't need bad PR about some dog getting shot. And believe me, the media would portray the hunter as the villian regardless of the explanation.
Deal with the owner if possible, or the game warden or law enforcement official who handles that type of problem.

Trust me, loosing an arrow might seem tempting and a quick solution to your problem. But it could very quickly turn into just the beginning of a much much larger problem.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
Whip is giving very good advice. The ramifications of shooting someones pet and the press coverage could do much harm to bowhunters.

A few years ago a bear was seen around Durango,Colorado with an arrow sticking in it. The media had a field day with it. The shooter finally came forward and said he shot the bear after calling the Fish and Game department several times to report the bear was a nuisance and they never showed up. He shot it out of frustration and got a lot of grief from the media. It sure put bowhunters in a bad light.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
Killing someones dog could put you on the hit list next. Dogs are like family to some and I know what I would do to someone if they shot one of my family. This happened to me several times.Once the deer was wounded so I killed her , chased of the black shep and took her home. When I told the owner he told me to kill his dog next time I saw it running deer (Not for me) Funny how some farmers view their dogs like livestock. A few more times dogs have chased deer through in front of me. Find the owners and let them know whats going on. A can of bear spray would educate them without getting yourself in a bind.

Offline Archer Fanatic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
About 10-12 years ago a guy killed my uncle's dog and it cost him a $1000.00 fine and court cost.

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
What Whip said. Very sound advice.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 03:00:00 PM »
Tim , New York has a leash law...yes the whole state,call the ECO and tell him or her whats been going on....let him or her take care of it.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
You DON'T complain to LE, the owners or anybody.

Might even want to refrain from posting about such things.

If somebody else does something to the dog they'll come after you.

Do nothing, or like another posted, SSS.

Courts rule incorrectly often, you don't want to go there.
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
i am a dog lover BUT mine would never be loose running in the woods, i would be pretty hot if that were me in the stand bro.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »
Some Good advice has been given.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Cottonwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
Here in Montana, it is legal to take out a roaming K9 that is running or chasing wildlife.  I gave one a dirt nap several years ago....

Like said, check you state laws before taking out some ones dog.  I knew from what I used to do for employment that I was in the right, and no harm or foul of the law would I be.
Member: Montana Bowhunters Association, Traditional Bowhunters of Montana

"I don't bowhunt for a living... but I live to bowhunt the traditional way!"

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
Shephard hide would make a great back quiver.Thats my point of view.   :readit:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »
personally I would trap the thing, #2 would do well . . . our DNR teaches us how to not trap pets so I figure it wouldn't be that bad, plus that and the dog wouldn't get hurt with the offset jaws, you could take it to the pound and let them deal with it . . . just getting the dog outta the trap would be fun!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
I don,t care if a coyote or a wolfe chasses wild life, but dogs... If you know who they belong to, talk to the owner... If you don't shoot the thing!! They do worst to wildlife than coyote and wolfe!!

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
You can shoot dogs running deer in pa too but Id have to be real sure the culprit is definitely, absolutely, stray/feral.  Id try to find the owner, call authorities, etc. etc before i did anything real drastic.  I just cant stand the thought of some little girl crying and waiting for her dog to come home that wont cause i shot and burried it the one time it got out.

Offline Airborne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
Follow the law and call law enforcement--ask them for a solution--that would be my first step

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
dont do anything to get yourself into trouble.yes it pisses you off and yes its wrong but so would you shooting them be wrong.try and find the owners or contact game officials or animal control.you MUST keep the general public out of this,the anti's would have a field day with a scenario like this if it went bad.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
Domestic dogs chasing game burns me up to no end.

However, I did take a nice buck that a couple of dogs were running and he stopped ten yards from me for a breather.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©