3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what would you do??????  (Read 1328 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what would you do??????
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
I know of the situation Tim talks about as well, and that is what lead to my initial comments.

Believe me, or don't, but the truth is that shooting that dog with a judo has resulted in devastating consequences. Fines, law suits, newspaper articles, picketing in front of the mans business, death threats, and the court trial hasn't even started.

Sure, he was mad that the dog was there. I would have been too.  But the price he is paying for his action is more than any of us would want to pay. Even if he is ultimately cleared of the charges, it has had a horrible affect on his life. Right or wrong, like it or not, that's the way it is in todays society. We can't pretend that the 80% of people who don't hunt don't matter. And they are not going to take the hunters side.  

Unless your state allows you to do it legally, your options are limited. You must stay within the law. Just as we must with grizzly bears and wolves, again regardless of what our personal feelings are regarding those animals.

Please, out of respect for law abiding bowhunters, don't do something that would give us all a bad image.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline BFinegan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
I'd try to find a way to "rain" a legal crap storm on the owner via the proper channels (authorities). Snuffing out the dog is not the right way to handle it. If you felt it was you would have allready done it.
"Ships in Harbor are safe, but that is not what Ships were made for"

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
to some a german shepherd looks a lot like a big coyote...just saying  :)

Offline -Achilles-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
I won't shoot a dog.Its the owners fault the dog knows no better.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
There have been a lot of "for instances" thrown up in this discussion. They fall in two categories that need to be identified.

1. You are on Private land (yours or someone else's) and have a run in with a stray dog running game.

2. You’re on State/Federal/Public owned land and have a run in with a stray dog running game.

I don't see anything in the initial post about dogs showing aggression towards a hunter, so all that is superfluous.

I live in Oklahoma, a state where, for the most part, you are allowed to handle your own problems (within reason of course). So situations like this are handled and never mentioned. This is the what informs my experience and opinion. Dogs on private property running game or live-stock are generally dealt with in a mortal manner around here. I don’t do it, I don’t like it, but that’s the way it is.

Dogs on public land are a VERY different deal. Some hunting seasons (squirrel, rabbit, quail and fur bearer/coon hunting) that are conducted with the aid of hounds, run concurrent with deer season. For that reason you cannot shoot at dogs on public hunting land. There is no distinction based on breed.

Irresponsible dog owners (bad pet owners of ANY KIND in my book) are to blame. I agree with much of the advice given regarding simply calling the appropriate authorities. Let them deal with it.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
Where I used to hunt there were an older pair of sisters (both widows) who shared a small house near where I parked.  They had a german shepard which had lost her tail.  That dog lived to be at least 12 and was finally hit by a car.  We all knew "Penny" and, in that time, I never knew her to chase a deer.  For those of you not familiar with NY slug season that is something of a miracle.  It's like Mardi Gras but with lead instead of beads.

Penny would sit beside you and paitently wait for a gut pile, yes.  Run deer, no.  A different kind of nuisance.

I hunt my own land now and I have to tell you a dog running deer would get the hairy eyeball from me.  If I recognized it we'd be talking to "dad" that night.  If it was strange to me and lacking a collar, it probably wouldn't go so well.  I raise chickens and turkeys and coyotes don't get much sympathy at all.

I spent a great deal of time training my dog, a Kerry Blue Terrier (FDW - flock defense weapon), to stick close and come instantly when called or stop when commanded.  I don't blame a dog that runs deer; but then I don't blame the coyotes for their nature, either.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline kasey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
i had 2 dog come after me the other night i didnt want 2 shoot the so i hit them with dead tree limbs when they would come at me.think i should get a can of bear spray

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
The scaredest I've been while hunting was when my wife and I were menaced by wild dogs in the dark. I'm glad to live in a rural area where loose dogs without collars are likely to lose their lives and the neighbors understand why. I've shot several (knowing they were wild or dumped) and will do so again. In fact, my cousin, an animal-loving female who takes in strays, asked me to shoot the wild yellow dog and its two half-grown shepard-looking pups that she's been feeding. They are aggressive and growl at her, even when she's feeding them! Her father convinced her that they are dangerous, and he is right. I will shoot them with a gun at the first opportunity. I have multiple pictures of them on my game camera, and they have gone right under my stand, before she wised up and asked me to take them out. I knew she was feeding them and left them alone for her sake. I didn't know they were aggressive, or I would have killed them without telling her.

I'm a dog lover, as long as the dogs love back! Wild dogs are a blight on the land, and should be shot on sight. I only shoot them after multiple sightings, when I'm sure they're not just pets out for a romp. I truly hate shooting them, but the alternative of letting them run amok is just not acceptable. There are no animal control officers around here. We don't need them as long as we take care of business ourselves.

Lest I appear heartless, I don't shoot them all. Recently a basset/beagle cross that had been neutered showed up at my house and wouldn't leave. He was very friendly, and seemed to have no interest in hunting. I took his picture and posted it at the local convenience store that all the neighbors frequent, but no one responded. My cousin put ads in the local papers, but got no responses from that either, so she took him in so I wouldn't have to shoot him. He still lives in her yard, on a chain.

I might prefer a bullet to living on a chain, but then again I'm not a dog.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline MP1SG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »
The three "S's" my friend............Shoot, Shovel, Shutup!

A now retired Conservation Officer gave me that advice.

Offline Hookeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2010, 12:53:00 AM »
Again, I do think poor judgement and or marksmanship to be worthy of penalty.

To lessen such risks, use a sidearm, not an arrow  ;)
Twist it up, don't pluck, marinate then grill.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
Listen to Whip. I'd call DNR and explain the situation. They will advise you further. They may just tell you to find the owner or they mey tell you to get the local Sheriff involved. Either way, go through the channels before you have some fella with a gun, coming out looking for the guy who shot his dog. Often times, a warning to the owner from law enforcement is all it takes. At least that way, you have something to back you up, should you end up in court.

Let me give an example. Years back, when my wife was young and living with some guy, fresh out of college, they lived on an old farm and were raising chickens. They would come home to find dead chickens all over the yard, and lots of dog tracks. They follwed the tracks and feathers back to the neighbors and saw the dogs by the house. Her boyfriend at the time, stayed home from work one day and actually caught the neighbor dogs (free running, no collar etc.) getting into the chicken house and chasing/killing chickens. He ran them off, then went over and warned the neighbor that he would shoot the dogs if they came over there again. Well they came back, he shot them, then as young, vengeful, and not so bright young men might do, he dumped the dogs in the ditch on his neighbor's farm for him to find. I guess he thought he was sending a message. Well they ended up in court because the neighbor filed charges. The charges regarding shooting the dogs were dismissed, but not without a lecture from the judge. The young fella had to miss work to go to court, so that cost him. Afterwards, there was plenty of bad blood with the neighbor. Enough to cause him to sell his house and move. Take that into consideration before you decide what to do.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
I'm going to jump on Whips bandwagon on this one. I LOVE dogs and all other animals as well. Ever think some kid was walking his dog and it broke it's leash? What about someone was putting their dog outside to do it's business and the deer ran in it's yard? Going to shoot the deer next time for coming on the dogs turf? We as trad archers respect animals as a whole. Don't start segregating them to suit your needs. Be a hero and maybe find the owner. You might find some poor child smiling for your efforts.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
The answer to your question relates to who owns the land.

If it's public land, I would report it to the authorities.

If it someone else's land.; a friend or lease, I would let them handle it.

If it was my land, I would try to find the owner. If that didn't work, I'd use a live trap and turn it over to animal control. If I exhausted those avenues I would resort to "SSS".

More importantly, you need to know your state and county laws and how they pertain to your situation.

I shot 2 dogs killing my sheep. But I first talked to the owner twice about his dog and it fell on def ears. I called the SPCA twice and had them bring out Live traps with no results. The 3rd time I took care of it myself then asked the owner to come get his dogs off my property.

Within an hour I saw the Sheriff pull into his driveway, talk to the guy while the guy pointed my way. The Sheriff came down to my house and said "I hear you've been shooting dogs." I replied "Yes sir...Unfortunately that what it has come down to" and I explained the steps I went through. He said "That's all I needed to hear" and he went back to my neighbor, wrote him a ticket and told him to come fetch his dogs.

I'm just glad I live in a state where right is still right.
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
Washington has laws that allow killing any dog chasing livestock or wildlife.  It is considered depredation.  If I saw it, the dog would be dead.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline mt-dew10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »
Have you thought of taking 'blunts' and shooting the dog with one of those?  I am not sure if this would be legal or not, it always depends on which state you live.  

It seems the dog, after being shot with a blunt, would learn his lesson and avoid you altogether.
I enjoy being a traditional archer!!

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
I have to say that anyone who thinks a dog shot with a blunt will learn its lesson about chasing deer is way off course.  The dog will not think the blunt is for chasing deer. I trained guard dogs for a lot of years and that simply is not the message a blunt sends.  Dogs minds are not complex enough to read your don't chase deer message from a blunt hitting it.  

The main thing the blunt will teach the dog is to stay away from you and your scented up areas.  It can also make the dog mean to humans which is far worse than chasing deer.

This one is really simple.  If it is legal in your state and the dog is chasing deer kill it.  We can make up a million what if's and the state should's. Reality is that dogs that chase wildlife don't just do it once.  They are habitual.  As for animal control finding the dog?  If it is out in the woods chasing deer there is almost no way that can happen. DNR or Fish and Game are usually to busy to bother with this type of complaint.  

As for the state going after a guy for shooting a dog with a blunt on his property when the dog was agressive?  I would be suing the hell out of that owner and lamblasting every involved official I could name in the editorials. I would be looking to get the DA and his bosses removed from office, and suing them each individually as well.  There is more than one direction that crap storms can fly. Simply crap to prosecute a man on his own property defending himself.  We have a constitution here.  Life, Liberty, etc....  

A dog is an animal not a human. If you think the dog is one of your kids you might want to look for some of that help mentioned above.  And yes, I know I need help.  I shoot a sharp stick with another stick and string at large and dangerous animals whenever I can.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
Please do not shoot the dog. There is a dog in our local news that was shot in a rural area with an arrow and it is getting big time news.  :deadhorse:
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
I agree that this problem is very frustrating, and it is one we should not have to bothered with. But the advice from the guys that say to handle the problem through law enforcement and the courts are right. You can face many unpleasant consequences if you just take them out on your own. I know. I am a probation officer...
Sam

Offline Saltydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
Thank you to all who have responded with such insightful and well articulated advice on such a sensitive issue. That's what makes this the best site for trad shooters.

My take is this. The decision to shoot at any living animal, no matter the situation, ultimately lies with you alone. My hat is off to 3Feather for making the effort to seek advice in order to have as much information as possible to make the best decision for him. The more time you take to make a decision, more often than not, it will be the right decision.

That being said; if I am absolutely confident that my shot will produce the desired result, then count me in with the SSS crowd.
I've learned that walk in the woods with my father as a child did wonders for me as an adult.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
Just a note about shooting them with blunts or judos- you might as well kill them, because a blunt or judo from a powerful bow does a great deal of damage, and can easily kill the animal in a not-so-humane way. I use a gun when it's time for animal control, which is the quickest, deadliest, and most humane way.

I knew a stupid guy who blunted a cow once, and it did massive damage to the cow's hindquarter. The farmer was not amused.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©