3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Using a stand after a Kill.  (Read 621 times)

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
Using a stand after a Kill.
« on: October 31, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
How soon can or will you reuse a stand after a kill?
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline OkieJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Using a stand after a Kill.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
I always give it a few days.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by OkieJ:
I always give it a few days.
X2
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline marshall brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
About 8-10 yrs ago I killed a buck on a Thurs. evening hunt then killed another one on Sat. morning.

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »
I've killed deer in the morning, then hunted the same stand that evening and killed another. As long as I don't field dress them near the stand I have never had any problems.

Offline Erick S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
I've killed a deer in the evening, dressed it 75 yrds from the stand and had deer walk right by the next morning. The only thing left from the gut pile was the stomach. Coons and Coyotes make quick work of the rest.

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
I field dress them where they fall.  Death is natural in the woods, and I've seen deer literally step right around a gut pile, or step right over dead deer in their path.  

Hunt the stand as soon as you're comfortable.  If it's a quick, clean, and quiet kill -- then you could hunt it the same day if you wanted with no ill effects.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
I was with my nephew on a opening day deer season where he shot his deer at about 6:30 in the morning and we stayed right there watching the one he just dropped..Saw around 30 more that same morning and none knew there was even one laying right there in front of us...Gutted the thing and went to lunch, came back from lunch and the gut pile was completely 100% gone,consumed,Ate up, disapeared....The gut pile was gone in a time of 1 hr and 30 minutes after we left the area and returned...Not a Buzzerd,fox,coyote,pussum or any other critter to be seen on our return but that same morning I did see a Fox grab a rabbit and maybe he waited till we left and had an "ALL HE COULD EAT BUFFET"...I don't think deer really care about their kin as much as we do and fresh kills is just part of nature to them...

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
One of my better bucks was taken from a stand from which my buddy killed a nice buck the previous day. His deer died within sight about 100 yards away from the stand and he dressed it where it lay.

I watched a vertible parade of deer walk right up to that gut pile while I sat. Eventually two bucks who weren't quite so morbid walked close enough to me and I shot one of them.

I don't think the fact that a deer died there bothers them at all. Maybe too much time and too many people on a blood trail would have an impact though.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
Yep have killed deer the next day a bunch of times.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
My son killed a deer 3 days in a row out of the same stand.

I have read that some have seen deer eating the stomach contents of a deer they killed.

Hap

Offline Airborne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
I think as long as you take the deer out of the immediate area to gut it you should be good to go the next day

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
Like others, I don’t believe deer pay much attention to other dead deer, at least most of the time.  Last year I shot a doe and it went forty yards back down the trail and died. Five minutes later two doe’s and a yearling stepped over the doe and followed the trail (covered with blood) on their way to my stand.  The fawn stopped to sniff it, but the full grown deer didn’t pay any attention to it (Yes, I did shoot one of the doe’s).  Other times I have had deer snort and stomp as they side stepped a half circle around a recently killed deer and then proceed on high alert.  Regarding gut piles, I haven’t seen them deter many deer until the mocking birds and/or ravens get to it, then all the movement they make flying around makes the deer skirt the gut pile.  One thing I try to do after shooting a deer is finish out my hunt (provided I have more tags), it has given me numerous opportunities at a second, or on several occasions a third deer, while giving the animal longer to bleed out.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Ive killed multiple deer from the same stand, same day several  times. Three in the same day and the 1st 2 had been shot and gutted right there on the spot. Dead deer remains are a very natural part of the environment. It tends to attract more than repel.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
My confidence in immediately hunting a stand after a kill is higher than one that I had just been busted in.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
get right back in it.  You got hunt where the deer are.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
I have also bow killed bucks out of the same tree on consecutive days.  It depends on the spot.  I have had stands that I hunted for many days in a row and never saw a decrease in activity and I have had stands that dried up after the first day.  Minimze contaminating the area during recovery and you should be ok.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
Have seen it go both ways.
Like Walt said, some deer smell and are alerted, some just don't care.  This year a friend of mine and myself closed out the bowhunt in Montana, 4 deer in 4 days, 3 came from the same stand, and the other one came from a stand that  was less than 20 yards from the other one and pretty much on the same trail.  Two of the deer were shot the same morning, within 15 minutes of each other.
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
Dead deer dont spook deer. The smell of humans does. Spread your stink around, they'll leave.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
there was a study done that  saw not long ago but i cant remember where i saw it but they took "simulated" gut pile i think it was using cattle guts  they placed in woods with trail cams the first creatures to the pile where crows the second to arrive where whitetails!! why they arent sure but it was very consistant

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©