3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wensel woodsman opinions  (Read 2304 times)

Offline aquafang

• Trad Bowhunter
Wensel woodsman opinions
« on: October 31, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
What's everyones opinion of the woodsman broadheads?  
I'll start my saying, I'm kind of dissappointed in my results in the last 3 seasons.  The first kill was a small buck which i trailed for 150 yds before recovering.  i've had a couple non recovered deer in which I "swear" that I hit right perfectly in the lung area.  found blood for a while then just quit.  Last night I got a good kill with one.  deer went about 50 yds. and fell dead.  just comparing the last 3 seasons with these broadheads as to the usual 2 blades I've always used, I've had better quicker cleaner kills with 2 blade heads...........JMO
Trad only!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wensel woodsman opinions
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
I really like them.  I've had good blood trails and quick kills the past three seasons I've used them. (ELK hogs mule deer and whitetails)  but that is my experience.  Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
Can't comment on them however, when I got into this Trad. shooting one of my friends who has been shooting Trad for many years said to " just use two bladed broadheads because they kill the best ".

Ken
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
are you getting them shaving sharp? no or little blood almost sounds like a head not as sharp as it could be
   a broadhead of any kind through the lungs is gonna put one down fairly quickly, with that said i had a friend say the same thing you are saying,  after 2 lost deer,with what he said were good hits, he hammered the remaining ones flat and went back to a 2 blade. i am not sure he was getting them razor sharp eventhough he said he was. but since going back to a 2 blade he has done well. that is a mid 50lb wt long bow 600 gr arrows.. i believe there are 2 degrees of sharp one is shaving and feels sharp enough the other is a truely scalpel sharp edge the later will cut alot more that the other brushed by
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
I cant get them sharp, I dont know why but i find it nearly impossible to sharpen the damn things, I can get two blades shaving sharp. My buddy has some big 160 grn. Snuffers that he gets really sharp, i might get some of them.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
Buckeye, have you let your buddy try to sharpen the WW's?  Same manufacturer as those Snuffers he can get so sharp.  Tha Wensel Woodsman is a PROVEN broahead that has killed everything from Aardvark to Zebra!  They work just fine.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
If I were a 3 blade guy that is what I would use.   :thumbsup:

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
It ain't the broadhead!!!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
Most of my trad kills have been with a Woodsman, I always filed them sharp enough and I have never had a blood trail more than 100 yds ending at the dead critter. I have switched to the VPA's with no vents but its the same design.

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
My experience has been very good with them. They have left excellent blood trails, that have been short as well. Out of the 6 deer 3 tipped over in sight, the others I heard hit the ground.

It did take a bit to get used to sharpening them. I work them down to 1000 grit wet dry paper, the edge looks like a mirror.

That being said I can still lightly touch the Woodsman heads. I use STOS heads when I use a 2 blade head, I get them spooky sharp. If you lightly touch them they cut you. It has to be the edge angle. The Woodsman still leave a better blood trail.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
I'm with Charlie on this...there is more going on here than the head you are using.

2, 3, or 4 blade it does not matter...sharp and shot placement does the job everytime.

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
I would recommend them!!!! They take some work to get sharp.    KYArcher

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
I'm with Charlie and Chris on this one.

Eric

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Don't beat me up but I have had bad experiences with them -remember you asked .

Poor penteration and yes they were SHAVING SHARP - wouldn't have hunted with them if they weren't .

NEVER got 2 holes in a deer with bows from 53-57#'s . Almost went back to a compound because of lack of pentetraion from them .

They bend easy - way to easy .

I recommend a good 2 blade magnus or zwickey !

Sorry I know some of you woodsman fans just dropped your candy in the dirt but it is just my opinion.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Even with a moderate set-up, I tend to belive that any shot in the boiler room of a deer will prove devasting with any sharp broadhead.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
I'm also with Charlie and Chris. I've had good results using them.
bolong

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
I killed a buck on 10-30-10 with a woodsman elite and I got 14inch of penetration on him. That is a 512gr arrow going 170fps and I like the low profile more 3 to 1 ratio of the woodsman. It made a real nice round hole in him instead of a slit style hole wich I like better. I did test with 2 and 4 blade heads and they penetrated within 1/4 inch of a 2 blade head. I can say that I will always have them in my quiver. Widow

Offline aquafang

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 06:01:00 AM »
Thanks for all your opinions.  Maybe it is just a coincidence the past few years when I started using them.  My shot placements have been as good as any other of my kills in all my years.  Maybe it is a sharpening issue.  Maybe I just don' t have the hang of how to sharpen a 3 blade?
Trad only!

Offline 3212bend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
The deer I shot with my WW PILED UP in about 60 yds .It broke a rib on entry and broke the rib on the oppisite side but did not exit.Was shooting 55# bow.Have to agree though it takes a bit to get them sharp.

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
I'm shooting 47# and I'm getting pass through shots 8 outta 10 with woodsman heads. Though I'm shooting 681 gr arrows I've busted spines and came through the  bottom of the boiler room. I think its all just personal preference.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©