3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wensel woodsman opinions  (Read 2307 times)

Offline stickbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wensel woodsman opinions
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
Wensels seem easier for me to get an edge on than the "original" Snuffers and I like betteras a little smaller too.

Offline Gene Hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
All Woodsmens, all the time.  Going on my 4th deer with the same Woodsman head  on my arrow in my number one hole.  I've done it several times, too, before I lost the head.  Makes the cost about $2 each.  Try doing that with a Rage or any other number of broad heads at $10 or more each!

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
Terry we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one  :)

Been doing this bowhunting thing a long time , just like you . Seen this argument many times, you use your woodsman's and I'll use a zwickey or magnus 2 or 4 blade . That's why they make more than one broadhead , difference in opinions .

Good Huntin'
Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
Jack....no argument....if you can't pass through a whitetail with a WW out of a 57# bow...something else is wrong....fact, not an opinion.  You might should look at the set up you are using and your arrow flight.

I mostly shoot Zwickey Delta 4 blades BTW.  Much more cutting surfaces than a WW and I still blow through whitetails.  Whitetails are nothing but a paper grocery bag filled with shaving cream...and a few tinker toys thrown in.  The hogs I've passed through with WWs were much thicker and tuffer than whitetails.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Kip l Hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
I shot a buck with one at 12 yards max several years ago.  The bow pulled 87#.  I watched the arrow go in and the deer run away.  Never saw either of them again.  I never was able to get them sharp!. Stick with a Swickey or a Magnus 2 blade.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
70#@28 longbow....drawn to 27.5...burried to the fletch.....80 recovery.

You folks that can't get through a measly whitetail with a WW really need to evaluate your equipment. (I've never shot a whitetail with a WW. I always run  more and WIDER blades slap through them).
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
Terry have tried everything, my arrows fly perfect bareshaft to 30 yards.

I know the Woodsmans are good heads -just not for me .

I stick em in the dirt on the other side with 2 blades and 4 blades . Plus I have 2 holes for better blood trails, which I do not get with 3 blades .
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
Terry ,
  Not to go off the post but what did something like that cost to mount? and how did you get the wife let it in the house?
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
Never had a problem with a WW, and certainly never had penetration problems with them.

Unlike Terry, I have shot a few deer with them. I luv them!

I'm pretty sure if I had to choose just one BH to use the rest of my life, for everything I'd have the chance to hunt....it would be one of the Woodsman BH's.

But since I use enough horse powere for even bigger...for deer and other thin skinned critters, I'll be shooting big Ol' Snuffer 160's!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline NC BowBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2010, 12:39:00 AM »
Thanks for the photo of your WW broadhead Terry.

It makes the point alteration crystal clear.

I like what you've done to the rear of the blade, also.
Christian Bow Hunters of America

Offline Mike Theis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »
Easy to sharpen, fly great, and leave a good blood trail. That has been my experience with the Woodsman broadheads. This has been on deer, coyotes, and turkeys. Dead is dead, and they work for me.
If man were to know everything in advance, there would be no such thing as adventure!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2010, 06:13:00 AM »
the wensel, like so many well designed and built broadheads, will kill any animal on planet earth.  

it is very easy to sharpen for lethal results.  

it is my most fave and productive broadhead.  

as always, the real issue is the bowhunter, not the broadhead.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
I've tried others, but I love the WW.  I think they sharpen easily, and like Terry said if you hit something in the right spot you should blow right through it.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
I have been dying to use the latest graemlin and this thread is the perfect one to use it on so here goes........  :deadhorse:  

I totally agree with Guru..... Great head and if it was down to only 1 head you could ever use or have in your quiver it would be a WW. I too am using 160 Snuffers this year cause I know even they will blow right thru a whitetail as sharp as I got em !!! I have almost posted several times on 3 blade sharpening threads and told everyone to just send them to me for sharpening but then again I am trying to raise 2 kids here so time is precious. So easy you could do it blindfolded ! Never had broadheads as sharp as my WW's and Snuffers. I actually enjoy sharpening them just to watch the hairs pop off !
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
Just started shooting 160gr Woodsman Elites and found them to be the quietest and most accurate (zero wobble on spin test) broadhead I've used to date.  It doesn't get any easier than shapening a three blade broadhead!  One word; finish with a strop.  Oh yeah, I'v never experienced any real difference with penetration between various 2 and 3 blade heads on deer and turkeys over the years.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Dave Alaxanian

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Dam straight "FRIEND!" Any Sharp broadhead in the lungs will kill any critter. Too dam many guys want a broadhead that will compensate for their bad shots! I like a sturdy head thats SCARY SHARP that will stand up to a marginal hit(kiss off the shoulder plate then into lung, or a deer that ducks and takes one in the spine), but it's still my job to drop the berry in the bucket! Bad blood trails are the results of bad shots, either by hapenstance or our own fear that we won't get that good shot and the critter will just walk out of our lives. Sometimes brothers ya just gotta watch their ass wave good-by,I tend to remember  those deer 5 to 1 over the ones I put in the back of my truck.PICK A SPOT AND BURN A HOLE TILL THEIR HIDE IS DAM NEAR SMOKEN, THEN LET GO OF THE STRING, AHH NOT THAT'S SWEET STUFF!

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
Totally agree with Terry, has to be a wobbly arrow issue. I bought some 100 grains this spring. If I can ever kill a buck I am going to give them a go on some does. I have shot them though and get a whistling noise from the vents. Not too crazy about that.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©