3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Uncle Barry and his TallTines--Look at THIS!!!  (Read 2479 times)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Uncle Barry and his TallTines--Look at THIS!!!
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
Man what deer.  Congratulations.  Now I have something else to dream about. Hopefully he has a cousin that has migrated to Maine.   :biglaugh:
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2010, 07:07:00 PM »
Doesn't get much better!  :clapper:

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
Another great buck taken by BW. Still waiting to hear every detail.     :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline NYAntler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
Now thats what I call a buck.. love to have that story!!
Joe S
New York Antler Outdoors
 www.nyantler-outdoors.com

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
Year after year. You would think the Wensels would get bored with taking such animals. Well, maybe not.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
What a beautiful deer, congrats Barry, looking forward to the story.......

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Online champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
unbelievable ! You Wensels are rough on em.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
WOW...that's an awesome deer!...congrats Barry!!

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
Gosh, a cull? One more year and he would've been a decent buck. Just sayin'  :dunno:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline TimDougan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
Congrats Barry! What a buck! Details?

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
Okay.. thanks for your patience guys. Half the fun is sharing this stuff with those who understand.

You know it's like we're all a bunch of dudes with the same disease or psychological disorder and can relate. Ha.

I'll try not to milk this out but I have to admit it was really special. Most of you know Gene and I are pretty picky. Our goals are about the same, fully mature buck of 5 1/2 yrs. or older, approx. 160 inches of antler and under the 20 yard line. I know this might make some people jealous but I've pretty much patterned my life to be able to do what I do. It's taken a lot of sacrifice in more ways than one.

Last fall on October 28th I missed the one I named Hurley (because I felt like hurling when my arrow went over his back). We got trail camera pics of him this early fall so he was my main objective. There were higher scoring bucks around but I wanted Hurley for personal reasons and because I had history with him.

We have several stands set up for him but I tried to hunt him only with perfect winds and sparingly so as not to pressure him out of his area. Since Oct. 1st I've passed up four bucks over 150 inches.

One was named "Holyfield" (we tend to name our bucks) because he has a big chunk out of his left ear. He's a standing 7x6. Another we named "Meltdown" because his one mainbeam droops down on the end like it's melted. He's a standing 6x5. But Gene and I both agreed they were each only 4 1/2 yrs. old and if given one more year would likely both be B&C class bucks when fully mature.

Last week I had Holyfield walk by at 5:15 with the sun shining on him in all his glory. I filmed him making four scrapes, doing the overhead branch thing,rubbing, peeing on his hocks, etc. He was 18 yds.

The next morning I sat the stand I missed Hurley from last year. At 8AM Meltdown followed a doe with a pretty face and hung around at 16 yds. for a solid ten minutes. I got great footage of both which I hope you'll get to see in our new DVD "Essential Encounters".. coming soon.

Saturday morning I sat a stand named "Biggie's Dentures". It's located in Biggies Bowl (where Biggie Hoffman shot his biggest buck ever)about halfway between two other stands, Biggies Upper Lip and Biggies Lower Lip (don't you love the names?)Ha.

Anyway, that morning I saw eight bucks and 12 does. Filmed a nice P&Y 5x5 buck that followed a doe right under me at 4 yds. That afternoon the winds were out of the SW and were predicted to switch out of the NW later in the afternoon. I wanted to keep out of Hurley's home for a couple days. I chose a stand we call the "Tennesee Bottoms". It's good for both SW and NW winds. It's about halfway in to the stand I killed that nice one at last fall. As soon as I crossed the creek on entering I knew my timing was right. The whole area was absolutely torn up with rubs and scrapes and I hadn't hunted it yet so it was fresh.

Between 5 PM and 6PM I'd already seen four bucks and NO does. A spike, two 4x4s and a 5x5. At about 6:10 a very nice mature 5x5 came in from over my left shoulder. He walked right passed me at 12 yds. I couldn't turn the camera on for fear of spooking him so I let him walk through, then took some footage as he walked away and then hung the camera back up. I kept looking behind him in case something was following. A couple minutes later movement catches my eye.

There's my buck up on his hind legs working over a high overhead branch. I grabbed the camcorder but just as I was turning it on he drops down, freshens the scrape and here he comes. He's only 50 yds. advancing on me so I had no time to film.

When his head went behind a tree I stood up, when his head went behind another tree I took the bow off the hook. You know how when you're in a stand you chose your "sweet spot"? It's where if you had your choice that's where I'd like my buck to be standing? Well he walked right into my sweet spot broadside at 13 yds., stopped and turned his head directly away from me.

In all honesty I hesitated shooting him because my heart was set on Hurley. But this was just too good of a 4x4 to let walk.

I was shooting my brand new Brian Wessel's Tall Tines takedown. It's a virgin. For those interested, it's 61 lbs. at 28" with a riser of Bolivian Rosewood and limbs of Black Limba. The bow just "fits" and feels right.... great job Brian!

I know this is hard to believe but of the hundreds of big game animals I've bowkilled over the years I have never spine shot a single animal. When I shot, in my minds eye, the arrow looked a little high but not much. I was absolutely shocked when he dropped right in his tracks!

To make a long story short, I finished him off as soon as I could. Then panic set in. I hadn't even touched him yet and what sounded like three coyotes blasted off howling what sounded like less than 100 yds. from us directly downwind. I'm not sure if they smelled blood and were trying to spook me off or what. But then reality struck, I was alone!

The creek I needed to cross to get him out was washed out from recent rains. The sheer walls from the top to the bottom were 30 feet straight down and back up the other side. In fact Gene and I have a rope tied to a tree where we used to cross and pretty much repel ourselves up and down. So I started dragging. I only made it about 75 yds. and was out of gas. Either I'm getting too old or this buck is just too big. Gotta go... be right back.. sorry. BW

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
Yeah, Barry knows how to pick them.  Congrats man!
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
Dang these "Lamb'ed up" stories! Entertaining story thus far.

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
More to come.     :coffee:

Offline Real Buckmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
nice buck Barry

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
Sorry about that. Anyway you would have laughed at my next move. I couldn't get him out alone but I didn't want to leave him for the coyotes. So I ended up walking out almost naked. I draped about every piece of clothing I had on over his body. Shirts, sweatshirts. teeshirts, hats, vests, hankerchiefs, gloves, etc. No.. I kept my undies on. Because I was sweating like a pig I'd wipe myself with each article of clothing and covered him up like a big ol' grizz on a fresh kill. Then I walked out. I didn't sleep too well that night. The next morning a good friend Daryl Kempher from Michigan was on his way to hunt a farm about 50 miles from here. He offered to help me drag him out so I took him up on it. Gene couldn't get here until afternoon so Daryl and I pulled him out. In that circus Daryl, who's 39, fell down the side of the cliff while we were crossing. He landed hard and was rolling around on the ground in severe pain. I thought for sure he'd broken his shoulder. Here's a guy who finally drew Iowa after waiting three years and he injures himself the day before his hunting starts and doesn't know if he can draw his bow. He said "I'll draw that string if I have to draw it with my teeth"... my kind of guy. Ha. Anyway a healthy dose of Ibuprofen and he's thankfully okay now. We got the buck near the truck when Gene called and was on his way. Daryl took off and I waited for Gene to arrive. We took some great 'walk-up" footage and then had a really hard time loading him in the truck ourselves. I'm telling you, I'm jealous of you young guys anymore. A side note, when I caped him out he'd apparently been in a wicked fight. From his throat all the way down to his brisket was all bloodshot and infected from tine wounds. I'd like to see what the buck looked like that put the whooping on him. Anyway, for those who are interested in measurements, he measured 173 3/8" gross and netted 169 4/8". G2s were 13 3/8" and 13". A 140' 4x4 is a good one; a 150" 4x4 is a really good one; a 160"er is great, so it gives you some idea how really rare a 170" 4x4 is. I'm very pleased and proud of him. Hope everyone has a great season. I'll have to wait now until late season until my second buck tag becomes valid to pursue Hurley. Hopefully he'll make it... unless Gene gets him. Best of luck guys. Thanks. BW

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
Great story Barry, Love all the treestand and buck names!!

chris <><

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
Awesome Uncle B!  Happy for you buddy   :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
What a story.  Congrats Uncle Barry!!!!!

Offline Jim Boettcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
Congratulations on an awesome deer Mr. Wensel. I'm one of the younger guys that your jealous of. But I think I'm more jealous of where you hunt! Regards, Jim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©