3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: does it bother you to NOT see deer?????  (Read 3781 times)

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: does it bother you to NOT see deer?????
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
I sat in a tree all day yesterday and this morning for several hours with no deer seen. It bothered me alot since the rut is supposed to be on hear in Kansas. Do to worry though cause I will not give up.
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Traditionalist have more fun!

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
Ditto, Recurvericky! I took 11 days off to huint the rut. To date, I have not seen a single deer.

I aspire to be like admountainken!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 09:24:00 PM »
Yeah it bothers me - grass roots of being a hunter/gather is to "gather". If Food Lion wans't round the corner we woudl starve if not seeing game for 8/10 hunts. I sit many spurts such as this though and I keep comign back for more?? go figure? BUT --- I love to hunt to kill deer and eat deer.

I will say that I love to kill/eat deer that is WHY I go? Just getting in touch with nature I could do easier withoutu carrying all the gear!

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
Not everybody has the spots to hunt where there are large numbers of deer. When deer numbers were higher in the spots I hunt, I saw deer. Mismanagement of the deer herd by the state and mismanagement of the land they control has led to a much smaller number of deer. Because of this I now see 3-4 deer a year...total. This year has been a banner year ,I have seen 9 so far. As ken mentioned 6 were seen all at the same time. I have kept a log book of my hunting since 1998 and can see that as time has gone on I have spent more time and seen less deer. I will continue to hunt but now there seems to be other reasons that I go! I also have to say that I have been doing this a long,long time.....since 1968 or 69.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
Bothers the snot out of me. It just wears me down. I'd likely give up if I didn't see deer at that long of a stretch.

I'm glad you can do it, just not me.
Romans 8:28

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
When I go hunting not seeing deer is the one thing that truly bothers me. Doesn't bother me not to get one, especially if I've hunted hard, but it does bother me not to see one.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
Acorns are on the ground in TONS this year in West Virginia...   Deer do not have to move very far to satisfy their needs.   Therefore, deer movement is limited.   I've seen fewer deer this year on our families farm but sign indicates all is well (The full moon has had the deer up all night feeding)!   My decision as the predator?   Locate the PRIME feeding trees and PRIME bedding areas.   Hunt for the moment!   As modern humans this goes against our instincts... Where would you want to be as a deer to limit your contact with "MAN" yet still fulfill your needs in the easiest way possible?
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Here in western Ky, back in the late 60's it was not unusual to go 4 -10 times w/o seeing a deer. Some hunters were even excitied if they saw merely one deer the whole season. Todays populations are quite high and not seeing a deer after several hunts would quickly lead me to re-evaluate and change strategies.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online Adirondack Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
to para- phrase JoseOrtetgaGasset-  one does not hunt in order to kill but one must kill in order to have hunted.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
Im out here in nazifornia and in some places they are not realy resident deer they just fly buy on migration. Sometimes they are there and most times they are not. I just like being out there. But getting one is great. Been a long time.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
I love to be out whether I see deer or not.  But it is seeing the deer that brings me back.  Nothing is better than being in the deers comfort zone and they have no clue you are there - that is what I hunt for.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2010, 11:09:00 PM »
It does bother me when I don't see deer. I don't have to make a kill or even have a shot but it makes a difference when I see something. I guess it's just knowing that they're there and I'm in the right spot. Or at least a spot where I have a chance.
"In bow hunting, the goal is not marksmanship but shooting well. And shooting well, after all, is merely a matter of only taking shots you can make."-Hunting from Home-Christopher Camuto

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
Pisses me clean off. I hunted 42 days last year & saw deer on day 1. That was it. 41 consecutive sits with nothing bigger than a squirrel seen.
I tried moving stands, different times of the day, all day sits, hell, I was even tempted to try a cornpile!
It does get very, very frustrating after a few sets & seeing nothing at all. I start to second guess myself, convince myself I'm doing everything wrong etc... I ended up feeling very discouraged.

This year's looking a little better, but I'm still 'flying blind' so to speak. I have very few folks nearby to call on for help & advice. Advice I've been given so far ranges from 'look for a white oak tree' to 'you're in the wrong place' Fat lot of help that is to someone who's never hunted whitetail before. I'm having to teach myself everything, from scratch. It's humbling to have to learn things at 36, that most 10 year old around here know instinctively!
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
Frankly: yes.  I love to see deer.  If I have not seen a deer in three days I figure I have picked a dead zone.  

There have been years when after weeks the only deer I saw was the one I killed (though that kind of ends the hunting so that's not a good statistic).  But it is a dismal year when that occurs on the last or next to the last day of the season.   Still . . . happy to have the deer and it's all part of "paying your dues" and getting the time in trying.

For whatever reason - after 30 years of hunting and 37 whitetail harvested the first I see in range still gives me the shakes.  I love it.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
Wasn't it Myles Kellar (is that right?) who said he didn't see many deer. Maybe not ANY deer for several days. He would like to, because he enjoys seeing lots of deer just like anyone else.

But when he did see a deer, it was the biggest one. The big ones didn't hang in  the places the other deer did because it was dangerous. Thats where all the hunters where...

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline highnoonhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »
Yes, it bothers me BAD when I don't see deer. I'm not bothered if I come home empty handed. I've kinda growed outa that over the years. And I do really enjoy just being out in the woods with my bow. BUt I'm pretty satisfied to just see deer anymore, and pretty disappointed when I don't!
Member: Christian Bowhunters of America
Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild, Inc.
-
Holmes Mongoose reverse handle longbow. 63" 63@28
Longriver Longbow: 69" 69@28
Kolometz Kustom Longbow 66" 76@28

Offline -Achilles-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
The older I get the worse it bothers me.Hunting is great when their are animals to shoot at.I have went weeks without seeing ANYTHING to shoot at.Its hard to get kids and new hunters into hunting when their aren't enough animals to see or get a shot at at least every other time you go.Most get bored and lose interest and I get bored too.Back when I was a kid their were at least plenty of rabbits and now your lucky to get your limit with a gun.We need to up the animal populations,kill out alot of predator animals.The more game animals we have the better.Back in lewis and clark days their were so many elk,buffalo,deer you name it that some were semi tame.I won't be happy untill I'm seeing deer in my front yard.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
Well I might not see a deer I want to shoot or in a place where I can get a shot, but if I don't see any at all after a few days I have to wonder if I'm in the right place so yes it bothers me that way. I don't mind going out to hunt and not getting a deer. I just love to be out there. but I do mind if I'm just in a place where there aren't any since I don't have a chance at all

sam

Offline jesse cales

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2010, 01:22:00 AM »
bothers me.that's why i drive 1.5 hours to hunt a better area.

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2010, 01:34:00 AM »
Yup, I can sit in the yard and see lots of trees. Deer and elk are why I hunt, if I don't see them, I might as well play golf....ugh.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©