3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TallTines on a Friday night  (Read 1428 times)

Offline talltines

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
TallTines on a Friday night
« on: November 02, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
Last Friday evening marked the 6th time I had gotten out so far this season.  Earlier that day I was perched in a white oak and witnessed two bruisers do battle as the sun rose and gave way to a beautiful morning.  The two bucks fought for about 5 minutes with the loser left searching for new territory.  I grabbed my rattling antlers and did my best to imitate the previous scenerio.  This marked only the second time I had witnessed an all out battle by two mature bucks.  There is usually quite a bit of sparring that can be seen in the fall, but all out battles are of a different nature. 

After I rattled I wheezed and shortly thereafter a beautiful 5x5 walked in to 40 yards.  Steam billowing out of his mouth as his tongue hung out, obviously worn out from the recent battle.  He stopped and wheezed back at me as I stood ready for the coming shot.  Moments later I could hear a deer walking on the other side of me and when he angled by I could see he was a smaller racked 4x4.  Usually it is the doe that steers the buck off course in those last few needed yards and spoils the shot, but this time it was a younger buck who foiled my attempt.  The smaller buck was soon cut off by the larger 5x5 taking him away from my perch rather than allowing him to continue on the path towards me.  I did manage to wheeze him back in to 40 yards, but once again two smaller bucks entered the area and again he walked them off.  Things slowed down by about 11 am and I needed to get back in the shop for a few hours in order to make it our for an evening hunt. 

The evening hunt found me in a new stand that had not been hunted before.  The stand sets in small point of timber that juts out from the main body of timber.  For years we have watched deer work their way around this point and finally this summer a stand was set there.  On my way in I hung a set cam on a tree about 25 yards away, facing a scrape with the stand in the background.  At about 5:00 I noticed a doe and fawn to the east of me at about 40 yards feeding on acorns on the edge of the timber.  A few minutes later I noticed a tine move in the timber.  The buck was standing about 20 yards behind the doe and fawn patiently watching and following.  The deer fed for about 45 minutes moving only a couple yards the entire time.  The does stepped out and began to make their way along the field edge.  They walked through my shooting lanes and went and stood in the scrape, looking at the camera.  On cue the 5x4 walked by and stopped in my second shooting lane, almost.  There he was, broadside, 10 yards and looking ahead at the does.  Only problem was is that his vitals were covered by a 4" sapling.  I had placed some doe in estrous urine out just a yard or so in front of his position in hopes that I could get a buck to stop and lower his head.  The buck finished urinating on his tarsals and took one step forward and stopped again, this time with his vitals in the wide open.  It wasn't until this moment that I decided that I was going to take the shot.  His body was heavy and his head big and blocky.  His body size and behaviour of slowly following and being patient with the doe led me to believe that he was a solid mature buck and at that time I decided to shoot.  The cedar shaft zipped through the buck taking out both lungs along the way.  About 75 yards later he stopped, rapidly twitched his tail and fell over.  I sat until dark watching a few does come by and even thought about filling another doe tag along the way.  I figured it was good enough as it was and left the remaining arrows snug in the quiver to use another day. 

Dad had been hunting another farm but came over after dark to help out.  We worked out the trail and found him in a matter of minutes, snapped a few pictures and got him loaded up for the ride out.  Best of luck to everyone.  Pick a spot and enjoy every moment!

Offline imhntn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TallTines on a Friday night
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
Great story and beautiful buck.  Glad the hunt went so well for you.
2 Timothy 2:2

Offline swifty99

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
Very nice, congratulations

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
Great buck!  Those carts are some serious back-savers!
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline rjackson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »
Great story nice buck .Thanks for the great bow you made me.

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 11:35:00 PM »
Way to Brian!!! Is he really as big as he looks?? Tomorrow morning will be my 1st hunt without my 2 kids with me....basically my 1st real chance to christen my Tall Tines. Hope I see one like that. Congrats Brian.....Ryan

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
Brian the bow you built for me seems to be shooting a little high. I hit my buck in the spine... so I was thinking of maybe lowering my treestand just a little. Any thoughts? UB

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
What a beauty Brian, I hope you get out some more to enjoy some hunting.  Sounds like you had a great day with some wonderful results.  Congrats again and chat with ya soon.

David

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
Great buck !!! Thanks for sharing the story.  :thumbsup:  

Bill

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 12:31:00 AM »
Nice buck Brian!

Aim lower Barry LOL.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 01:43:00 AM »
congrats Brain, great Buck, hope all is going well out there.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 01:53:00 AM »
That guy is a big one.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 03:20:00 AM »
Congrats Brian,by the way what bow are you shooting?LOL.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Frenchy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 03:37:00 AM »
What an animal !
Sounds like it was a great day out.
Thanks for sharing

Offline djanko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 05:35:00 AM »
very nice...hopefully I will be that fortunate this year.  great job, well done.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 05:46:00 AM »
Beautiful Brian!  Congratulations!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 05:50:00 AM »
Congrats Brian    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline PA-Spot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 06:08:00 AM »
ATA-BOY whats for dinner??

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 06:16:00 AM »
Beautiful animal!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 06:18:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©