3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rut Activity?  (Read 577 times)

Offline VA Robinhood

• Trad Bowhunter
Rut Activity?
« on: November 03, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
Who is seeing rutting activity in their area?  I have vacation scheduled for next week and heading to West Virginia for a five day hunt. Hoping I am not missing the rut or that I am just a little early.

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rut Activity?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
hey Jim!   you'll be in good shape next week. my farm and other hunting property in in your neighborhood and I'm finding fresh scrapes and rubs every time I go. looking forward to next week myself.

best afield

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 08:48:00 AM »
Both my wife and I have been out from daylight to dark the past two days over in southeast Ohio. While seeing three different bucks in these two days, and does with their little ones still tagging along........I'd say that the rut ISN'T full bore. The three bucks were not in any hurry to get anywhere in particular, they (especially the bigger one) were "sneaking" along very purposely. I'd say they are just scent checking the does. It's gonna bust loose soon.......you might just have picked "the week".

We'll be back out next week and see how things have progressed.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline VA Robinhood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
Good deal, sounds like I am going to be on the front end of things this year.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
I have been seeing a lot of activity on the highway (carcasses ), but in my hunting area I would say it is slow for the date. The dark week always has the best activity for hunters. That would be next week.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
I've been seeing a lot of chasing, and a lot of "cruising" bucks here in NY.  walking out of the woods the other day I bumped a slammer that was with a doe.  the woods were all tore up.  this was Saturday morning.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
Was out this morning and saw bucks still herded together; as many as 5 in a bunch. Did some rattling and they looked in my direction but showed no real interest. Have yet to see an active scrape. Maybe our deer are out of the closet this year    :eek:      :scared:  !!??

If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
Strangely enough I seen more chasing and pursuing a few weeks ago than I am now. I cant get a deer to look at me when I call, rattle a touch or use scents. I have seen plenty of bucks, but they are acting like its August or something. I think they are confused as to the month?

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
It seems a little slow to get started in my neck of the woods. Just starting to find some fresh scrapes and rutting rubs in the past few days. Saw one out scent checking a doe bedding area yesteday morning but have yet to see any chasing going on. Two mornings ago I watched a lone doe pee in a scrape... I think it is getting ready to explode, hoping this coming weekend is good!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
The "pros" say you need to be in the woods Nov. 11-14.
Lon Scott

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
Mississippi has a late rut. Biologist's data says it peaks December 18 where I live, and I rarely see rut scrapes before Thanksgiving. I don't mind, because I can hunt the rut in other states that have the "normal" mid-November rut, then come home and hunt the rut here! When I lived in South Carolina, the rut seemed to peak in October. Just depends on where you live.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline kevin braun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
Had the most(only) action of the season while on stand last night in W.Central MO.  Four bucks and several does.  the largest buck was chasing hard, running a doe all over the field,creek, and timber for well over an hour.  The chasing attracted two other bucks, the biggest snort/wheezed 3 or 4 times and then another buck came in.  Lots of action heating up here!

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
Kevin, I like the sound of that! I'm scheduled for a hunt in that area next week.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
just wondering what you guys are calling the rut?  do you consider it peak rut when all the chassing is gong on?  for me pre rut is when bucks start making all that sign we love to see so much, then theres the chase phase, then peak rut when the bucks are locked down actually breeding does, then theres post rut.  Right now in wisconsin ive been getting different reports depending on the part of the state your in I have even heard repoerts that its all over already in the western part up north just sttarting to roll good luck!

Offline S C Mercer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
I've seen quite abit of chasing and grunting bucks.  Allot of rubs and more and more scrapes opening up every day.  You should be in good shape.  I am hunting in NOVA.  Steve

Offline PA-Spot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 08:11:00 AM »
Central Wisconsin the rut is in full swing. Bucks laying with does. Major chaseing going on in food plots. Lots of fawns off by them selfs.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
FINALLY seeing some rut(ish) behavior.  Had a train of does come in to my ambush this morning (busted by the first in the line - doh!) and watched a P&Y class buck work a scrape.  Tried to get him to come to me but he followed the ladies.  The nerve!

Offline VA Robinhood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
I hunted all day here in VA and did not see any rut activity at all.  The rubs and scrapes are poping up, but no buck trailing doe yet.  I hope it will be hitting soon.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
Our late season opens the 10th here in Washington...and past years have shown that's about when they begin to get horny...er, active.
Lon Scott

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
It's on.  We haven't had cool weather in DE like this for a while.  I shot my buck last week trailing three does and grunting all the way.  Rattled in nothing but small bucks so far.  Last night I saw a herded up group of ten does come out of the woods at dark and they were so close together you could have killed all of them with one load of buckshot.  I know big boy had just pushed them into the open.  In my neck of the woods, the does are almost there.  I took off from Wed. till next Monday.  Wednesday and Thursday will be all-dayers.  Gun season starts Friday.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©