3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Favorite Spot (pics)  (Read 400 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
A Favorite Spot (pics)
« on: November 03, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
Last evening under a nice overcast sky, I went to one of my favorite spots. It has been a good crossing/feeding area in the past and will be again this season, as time progresses (it says so right here in fine print - LOL). Had a busy evening anyway but still no deer around me - yet. Had plenty of company though - 3 or 4 squirrels around most of the evening (one was a Fox Squirrel), a large Pilliated Woodpecker - feeding and flitting around as they do, a well-mannered gun hunter who walked almost up to my seat before I finally caught his eye, he was busy scanning the firebreak surface, as he slow-hunted along. He was some shocked, when he finally realized I was right in front of him, and then turned back with an apologetic shrug. I would have motioned for him to pass on through - once he knew I was there, if he had given me time before he turned away in embarrassment - LOL. Finally, I saw a fox on my way back to the car. I took some pics when I first got there and will post them here just to show I'm enjoying the woods, even if the deer don't seem to be interested in "enjoying" my company - LOL.

Here is my folding seat setup, with my Anneewakee Addiction, "Blackie" laying across it. It's backed up by a large double-trunked tree and has natural "break-up" growth and downed branches around it (plus I wear a 3D leaf design Bug Tamer suit):

The area is a medium sized hill, with some oaks and other browse, circled on one third by a firebreak, and close to the edge of the national forest boundry. It also is a pathway between bedding areas and farms in the area. Here is a close-up of my seat from the left side:

My Front, Left, top of the rise, with a woods road beyond and then more brush/tree area beyond:

My Front, Right - a relatively shallow gully bounds the right side of this area, diminishing to the top of the rise, with a tree edge beyond that:

Left side - some of my break-up cover, and another shallow gully on that side, with another low hill beyond:

My bow and arrow on my chair - ready and waiting for me to settle down:

A couple of close-ups, once I settled in to wait, watch, and enjoy. I certainly have enjoyed the way my new Kanati Slim Jim broadhead quiver rests and balances across my knees this season - both in my chair and/or my climbing stand. As I thought it would, this bow quiver has turned out to be my favorite ever:

(A couple more pics to follow)
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Favorite Spot (pics)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »
This is a view to my Rear, Left - where the firebreak runs (between the close trees and the thicker edge of trees/brush beyond, and also where the hunter walked to within about 8-10 yds of me - LOL):

My Right, Rear - where the firebreak continues around my back - deer also walk this firebreak, (when in the area - LOL):

Hope you enjoyed this little trip to one of my favorite spots - even if I don't have a deer kill to show to you - yet - LOL.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Very nice Bernie! How do you like that seat? I have one in black like that, but with a small pack/bag on it. I haven't used it as I have doubts I can turn around much without a lot of noise, which makes for a very limited shot area. I have one of the 3 legged ones that swivel 360 silently, but with no backrest it gets uncomfortable after awhile. The Waidrop or Huntmore seem to be optimum, but I spent my bucks on bows, so no expensive seats til next year.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
Looks like a really nice place. Hope that it all comes together for you really soon.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
Bernie, I really like your set up. I usually set up in a similar way. That looks like a really good spot. Surprised you are not seeing many. I use a torges type seat myself. Best of luck the rest of the season.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
very cool bernie. nice patch of woods you're hunting in. great pics too good luck to ya, ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
Thanks to all of you. I had an e-mail from another member also asking about the "chair". I really like it - sturdy, folds down, carry strap, and a zippered bag under the seat - also light, and a connecting bar between the feet (so it doesn't sink in). I found it in the base PX (Camp Lejeune)this year. It is only less than twenty dollars, and made by HS (Hunter Specialties). Their stuff is carried by lots of hunting/archery shops as well as cut rate stores and I often find, after the fact, that something I've bought and like real well is by them FWIW

I used to use a Torges seat that a Marine Major made and gave to me and I liked it quite well too but I laid it on my truck roof one day and then drove off. I know - why don't I make myself another one - LOL. I just keep putting it off - duh!

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
Pretty woods for eastern NC! looks like a spot!
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
Bernie, I received your e-mail about the chair and wanted to thank you for the info. I will have to make a trip to Memphis, Tennessee or Jackson, Mississippi to see if I can find one for under the $40 they're listed for here. Man I like the country in those photos.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
Nice looking place to hunt. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Thanks, guys - it is a pretty place and there are lots of pretty little places in the Croatan National Forest. It is also a great place to walk around in during the summer (like when I was a kid back home in NH) if it wasn't for the dog-gone tics and redbugs - LOL.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
Bernie

Cool thread!!!!! Nice pics. Looks like a great place to relax and wait on a nice deer!

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Bernie.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
Yes, THANK YOU for Sharing Bernie!! Makes Us "City Dwellers" LONG for Land that we once had!! I would Love to get my Grubbies on one of those Outstanding Hunting Seats My Friend!!
   Is there a way You could be so kind as to Hook My Achin' Bones Up With One? Not Asking to Be a Mooch, Will Pay Top Dollar and Shipping My Friend and Spiritual Mentor!!
   I Only Pray to be able to walk in the Huge Footprints You have, Right here in Indiana someday!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 07:46:00 AM »
I'm a-waitin', John - LOL - there and a few other hidey-holes. Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed the thread. Shakes, I'll get a PM off to you about a possible source but I can't buy out of the PX for other folks - without risking my military benefits (though some fools do try it, and then wonder why the Senate/Congress are always trying to cut our benefits down/out). Sorry.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©