3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I Don't Buy Ugly Bows  (Read 828 times)

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I Don't Buy Ugly Bows
« on: November 03, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
I was in The Archery Shop after work yesterday evening getting my new string set up for shooting, i.e., nock point and string silencers.  A fella who was in the shop said "Is that a new bow?"  I told him I'd had it 3 or 4 months.  He said "That bow is too pretty to take in the woods!"  I responded, "I have to take pretty bows in the woods because I don't buy any ugly bows!"

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I Don't Buy Ugly Bows
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
I know what you mean.  I don't own any ugly bows.  As for not hunting them. That would be like not driving a Ferrari or not touching your smoking hot woman.  Just plain silly either way you look at it.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
I buy pretty bows so when I am sitting there for hours while hunting I have something to look at if it's slow. Life's too short to shoot ugly bows!

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
EXACTLY RIGHT!  Good post!  I have a hard time deciding which beauty to take with me when I shoot or hunt.  Usually 2 or 3.  Felix and I are discussing that right now in PMs.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
OK, I have to admit, I have a ugly bow and she is named Ugly Betty. Found her kicked to the curb at a bow meet/swap for $200 (with a leather selway quiver). She's a all ash Big East TD with dings/marks all over her. She ain't much to look at but she sure can dance! First time I tried her, she gave me a 4 arrow 6" group at 25 yards. One of the fastest, smoothest bows I have ever held.

Just remember, ugly bows try harder to impress...   :thumbsup:  

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ringneck:
I buy pretty bows so when I am sitting there for hours while hunting I have something to look at if it's slow. Life's too short to shoot ugly bows!
X2 Ringneck.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
I like looking at pretty bows.

I have a strong liking for "Rat Rods" too.

An Old bow that looks beat to death that just plain shoots great is pretty cool too.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
I can't only immagine to buy a bow that I don't find it pretty,and everytime I try to improve the look of the next one and push the bowyer to make something special.Modern custom are really works of art and bowyers are really talented.
The only exception is for the vintage ones that,where pretty on their times,but not comparison with the newer ones.Only 15-18 years ago it was impossible to find just a clear glass lam.for the limbs!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
That is an awesome reply - I have schafers and while beautiful they are tools -

I do not think I have seen an ugly custom?
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
They are ALL pretty to somebody!
David M. Conroy

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
Not only are my finer than a frog's hair, I like to admire other fine bows.  They are truely funtional works of art.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
Closest I have to ugly is my Bear Kodiak Hunter.  The shape is lovely but the green Futurewood and glass is, shall we say, an acquired taste.

A friend used to call it my "Bear Formica"
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
Ugly bows need love to. LOL

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
Good post Bill. I won't own a black widow either  :)
BCD

Offline nybowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
Hey JL, your right "Betty" is real ugly. She does shoot good though. lol
The morning first light ,In the stand, Griffin longbow in my hand >>>==========> PRICELESS

Offline Legois

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
hate ugly bows either. the bow must shoot great and look awesome.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
I don't use my bows for walking sticks or throw them over fences or out of tree stands. I can hunt several years and hunt hard with a bow in extremely rough country before it gets scratches. I try to always hit the ground first and protect the bow. LOL. God Bless you all with beautiful bows . Steve

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
I too am a fan of fancy bows. I do have two that are metal risers and completely camoflauged but I wouldn't call them ugly. But, they don't compare to the exotic wood recurves.

I've always been careful with my bows, even during the 34 years of compound shooting. I never could understand some folks who would simplly drop their bows on the ground, especially with bow quivers full of arrows. I'm even more careful with my arrows. Quiver hood up when hauling in the stand and quiver hood down when the bow goes down. The haul line is tied just short (loop at the end through string and over limb tip)of the ground.

One of the best shooting bows I ever shot wasn't purdy on the outside because it was really beat up. It a leftie's "carp" bow from out Montana way. This demo bow did convince me to order a beautiful version of the same bow though!

Offline Rank Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
Can't say I like ugly bows, but I don't really get into all the nice woods, veneers, accents,and such.

I like my bows graceful and functional. That said my go to bows are my Kanati and my Pronghorn. I think they are plenty pretty.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
I have to admit I am addicted to good lookin bows...I do have one that's not though and can't bring myself to sell it. It just shoots to good  :(
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©