3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I Don't Buy Ugly Bows  (Read 827 times)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I Don't Buy Ugly Bows
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
Bill, I used to be like that.  Then about 15 years ago, I went into Glenn St. Charles Northwest Archery shop and he had a Black Widow MA with two sets of limbs for sale. I had never shot one of those "ugly" bows, but after shooting it, the bow got a lot better looking.

Just remember, appearances can be deceiving, however, it would be better if all the good shooting bows were good lookers.
Lon Scott

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
I like ugly bows. When I trip over a stone wall and put a big ding in it I don't feel so bad.....I do have a few pretty ones!!!   :dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
Sometime we worry too much about the finish on our bows.I bought last year a 1955 Bear Kodiak,signed by Fred himself.The bow looked pretty beated and I could buy it for a fair price.I sent it to Bow Doc and he did his magic,now that old beated bow is looking better of what it looked in 1955.The same for our custum,if there isn't any functional brakega they can come back better looking than ever.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »
Dings and scratches are just character marks...if you get to a point you don't want to look at them anymore just refinish the bow.  If I'm going to have to live with a bow it better be a great shooter and a beauty too. Just me.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
I've never went to bed with an ugly bow but sure woke up with a few!   :eek:  

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
Mikey....   :saywhat:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline 2 Barrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
The prettiest bow i've ever owned was a complete turd.Bows are like women we would all like a beautiful one.But the smartest of us look at her quality's.My absolute favorite bow is a Bear 76er i warfed.It has a set of $120.00 korean limbs on it.She will flat shoot your socks off.Thats real beauty to me.
Never trust a bald man with a pony tail.If he's not honest with himself.He wont be honest with you.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
Most all bows are going to shoot better than I can shoot them, so if I'm only going to be a fair shot, I want to be a fair shot with a good looking bow. Lately I've been drawn toward simpler bows, but those having nicely figured woods.  Too many fancy accent strips/overlays/wood combos in a riser, just doesn't appeal to me anymore.  As a novice bowyer, I can really appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into an ultra-fancy bow, but I'll take a simple bow with a single piece curly maple, walnut, or cocobolo in the riser anytime.  Now I don't want to offend those of you that like camoflaged bows, but I think they are just plain ugly and I just never understood painting or dipping over nice wood.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline squid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
WildmanSC,

I know those people at the Archery Shop. They don't know what beauty is. Ask Bud, he knows a good bow!!! Enjoy

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
Hey Bill how ya been?  You are correct you dont buy udly bows...I have seen quite a few of them.  :wavey:
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
Beauty.....fellas.....is in the eye of the bowholder!  :laughing:

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
I've owned many pretty bows - never bought one though where the way it looked was even a minor consideration in buying it.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
Hmmm , a good bow looks good. It may have a plain riser and black glass but it still looks good. I certainly hear what people are saying about liking plain bows. However I don't have very many guys order plain bows. They kind of start off with the I am a plain bow guy but I want this and I want that and that andddddddddddddddd. LOL God bless you Guys. And by the way anyone that wants a plain bow. I can build it and so can every bowyer on here.  Steve

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Blackhawk:
Bill, I used to be like that.  Then about 15 years ago, I went into Glenn St. Charles Northwest Archery shop and he had a Black Widow MA with two sets of limbs for sale. I had never shot one of those "ugly" bows, but after shooting it, the bow got a lot better looking.

Just remember, appearances can be deceiving, however, it would be better if all the good shooting bows were good lookers.
I didn't say anything about Black Widow bows in my post.  In fact, I wouldn't mind adding a TFX in Bocote with black Phenolic to my collection someday.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by squid:
WildmanSC,

I know those people at the Archery Shop. They don't know what beauty is. Ask Bud, he knows a good bow!!! Enjoy
squid,

Believe it or not, I have Bud shoot every one of my new bows before I shoot it.  Not only does Bud know beautiful bows, he also can shoot a stickbow very, very well!  I've sold Bud three bows.  Two of them are beautiful bows and the other is the first Dale Stahl bow I bought.  It was a "Plain Jane" bow with a Bubinga riser with a gray actionwood stripe and it had Red Elm limbs.  That is one semi-ugly bow I wish I still had.  I've been trying to talk Bud into selling that bow back to me for 7 years, or more.  He still has it!    :(    :banghead:    

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
I found out later than I wish I would have that if you drop your standards just a bit, you'll end up having a whole lot more fun.  

I love ugly bows.   :D
Support the sport!

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
I realy like pretty bows. The camo paint sticks to the finish better.Just kidding . Any bow that shoots good is pretty.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2010, 04:34:00 AM »
I will tell you what, if any of you have any lefty ungly bows you just cant stand just PM me. I will take them and hide them from your site so you dont ever have to look at them again.   :goldtooth:

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2010, 05:25:00 AM »
"Hunting with an Ugly bow is like taking your sister to the Prom " is a quote I heard from a fellow years ago .

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline trubltrubl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2010, 06:07:00 AM »
if you think your bow is ugly...have a few beers..in time she'll look pretty...LOL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©