3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: St Jude Hunt---Report and Pictures start page 2  (Read 479 times)

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
St Jude Hunt---Report and Pictures start page 2
« on: November 03, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
Well tomorrow I am meeting up with Fred Gimbel (Greyfox 54)and his grandson to hunt in Edison, Ga for the second annual St Jude Charity Hunt.  Fred generously "purchased" this hunt on the tradgang St. Jude Auction.  I am excited to meet Fred and I know we will have a big time.  

Here is a link to last year's hunt:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=078862  

Hopefully, we can have similar or better success.  Wish us luck!  I will have pictures and lies to share come Monday...
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline xroadshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: St Jude Hunt---Report and Pictures start page 2
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
Gregg your in for a treat Fred is a great guy to share a camp with.

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
Like xroadshunter said, Fred is a great guy and I'm sure his grandson is cut from the same cloth. I'm sure it will be a great hunt; looking forward to the stories and pics.
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline Arrowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
Good luck.  Should have a great weekend to hunt. The is the weekend to be in the woods up here.
Keep It Simple

Jeff Kitchens

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
Good luck to guys!  Be safe!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by rastaman:
Good luck to guys!  Be safe!    :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:  
Fred's a great guy!  You'll have a great time for sure!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
Good luck guys   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
Fred is top notch, one of the great ones I have met here. This will be fun to read.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 06:48:00 AM »
Boy, Fred sure has a lot of fans!  Add me to the list - top notch guy to share a camp with  :thumbsup:  
Have a great time everyone.  I'll be looking forward to the stories.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
Never had the priveledge yet of meeting Fred. However, he was nice enough and thoughtful enough of others a few months back to buy up a bunch of discontinued Summit SOP safety harnesses at a show. He then offered them to the gang and I was able to get the best harness on the market IMHO for a lot less $$$.

Fred, thought of your thoughtfulness  many times this year already when I swing that safety rope around the tree and hookup. Your a good man brother !

Good luck to you and you are sharing a camp with Mr Gregg, whom I have met. None better in my book. He rolled out the red carpet a few years back when Mason and I tagged along with DW, Skyler, JC, Chase, and Connor Coots for the Florida Fall Rendevouz. We had a awesome time in FL with Gregg and crew. Got to see my first black bear in the wild as it ran across the road in front of us as we were coming back from dinner the first evening. Gregg, take us some good pics with that new camera man !
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
Got this little teaser from Gregg...

•  

The hunt is going well    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
:campfire:     :coffee:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Randy Keene

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
Thanks, Curt!  We are having a big time.  Fred is a great guy.  I read him all this garbage about how famously fantastic he is and he got all embarrassed.  Thanks Jimmy for telling everyone I'm a pretty decent sort too!  Lol!

Fred's grandson, Jason, is a lot of fun to have around as well.   Another day of hunting tomorrow....
MOLON LABE

Come shoot with us!

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
:campfire:  Gregg, I see the focus on that nice new camera works well ! Glad ya'll are having a great time and success !!! Looking forward to the full story and pics bud.
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
good luck to all

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
Well another St Jude's hunt is in the books and, as usual, a good time was had by all.

The hunt started off with a hunt indeed...Me hunting for Fred and his grandson, Jason!  We had arranged for them to call me when they got close to Edison, Georgia, but when the appointed hour drew near and I could not get in touch with them I began to wonder if perhaps their New Jersey cell plan did not include the metropolitan center of south west Georgia.  

I decided to drive into town and take a stand at the local grocery store.  From there I had about a ten yard shot to the two-lane road through town.  I had only been on post for about twenty minutes when I spotted someone I thought was Fred drive by.  I quickly jumped into the truck and ran him down within a mile or so when he stopped at a jiffy store.  

I had never met Fred before, but recognized him by his distinctive beard, which I remembered from pictures on tradgang.  I introduced myself to Fred and Jason and we made the quick trip to the cabin where we we unloaded gear, flung a few arrows and talked about the hunt which would start on the following morning.

Fred is as advertised in the comments above and is a great guy to talk to and hunt with.  He has hunted all across the globe and I was honored to have him as a guest at my humble south Ga hunting lease.  His grandson, Jason is a funny guy with a lot of enthusiam and a good outlook on life.  I was lucky to get to share camp with these two guys.

The first morning as we walked into the woods, I stopped to check a trail camera.  There were 147 pictures taken since the previous Saturday so I switched my plans and set Jason up in a stand nearby.  I showed Fred to a stand on a gasline right-of-way at a point where it crossed a creek and I went farther down the creek to another stand.  

Despite all the trailcam pictures, Jason didn't see anything on the first morning.  Fred was apparently set up right under some roosting tureys though and he was treated to some fun as he watched around 20 of the birds fly down and feed around him on the gasline.  He also saw two does, but they crossed the right-of-way out of range.

I had managed to resist the temptation to take my black widow recurve out and had stuck to my commitment to hunt with my Dwyer longbow.  I had put the bow up for sale earlier in the year and had repeatedly told people that it was the prettiest bow I had ever seen.  I finally believed my own sales pitch and decided not to sell it.  After years of hunting with a recurve, I commited to taking a deer with the Dwyer Defiant.

Just before 8:30 AM, on Friday November 5, I shot my first deer with a longbow.  The shot was @ 18 yards and the magnus stinger did the job inside of 60 yards.

MOLON LABE

Come shoot with us!

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
Great picture Greg!  Congratulations on your longbow kill!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Randy Keene

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
Looking forward to the rest of it Gregg.
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
Awesome Gregg ! Yep, mason has one of them Dwyer Defiant bows as well. Looking forward to more pics and Fred's commentary as well.

Have to ask, When you ran Fred down did you give him the classic Southern welcome phrase that makes Yanks shiver in their boots ??? " You ain't from around here are you boy ? "
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©