3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hip Boot Recommendations?  (Read 325 times)

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Hip Boot Recommendations?
« on: November 03, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
Need to get a good set of packable hip boots. I have been doing some research but thought I would ask the opinions of those who used good quality ones on hunting trips.

I like the looks of the Muddy Hipper's but not exactly packable.

Looks forward to hearing your recommendations.

Thanks,
C

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hip Boot Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
http://wiggys.com/category.cfm?category=3

I don't have firsthand experience with these but have heard some pretty good things about these lightweight waders...i guess according to what you are using them for.  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
I bought a pair of Wiggy's and used them a few times to cross a stream in WY.lightweight, packable, and seemed pretty durable. Although the few times I used them wasn't a huge test I think they will hold up well in the long run.  Perfect for that use, wouldn't be much good to spend any extended time in the stream like fishing or something though.
I bought mine fro Russell Boots. I think about $60?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
Chris--what will you be doing in them?

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
LaCross with standard rubber tread are durable but they are slicker than greased snot on ice or wet river rocks. So take a good look at the tread.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
Crossing small shallow areas of a swamp that are about a 1.5' to 3' deep and for an up coming Sika hunt in January.

Nothing really extreme just need something that I can roll up and put in my pack.

Just looked at the Wiggy's and they look more like what need than the others have seen.

C

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
Yes, Wiggy's would be the ticket for that.  I have used them up in AK and the Yukon for stream crossings.  You don't want to be hiking around in them though, just for stream crossings.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
Thanks guys going to order a pair tomorrow...swamps are low so I can get onto the small island were the rooters are bedding midday.

There is a sounder that has had my number for the last 3 days. There are so many that when they are feeding the area covered has to 100 yards or more.

Been busted twice by sows sows there were bedded next to logs nursing young...getting to fixated on the larger guys.

The last time they got me they came out of the swamp right on top of me. I was surrounded in about 30 seconds and ended up with a football between my legs...and it figured out I was not part of his family. Needless to say I have learned the baby porker grunt for momma come here. I can say pigs cannot make 90 degree turns and when they have young give up fairly quickly to collect up their young.

C

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
LaCrosse has some hip boots with a canvas top.  They should be packable.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
LaCrosse is all I have ever used. Been using em for 40+ years so I must like them pretty good.
bolong

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
Thanks for the help...I am going to go with the Wiggy's since they are light weight, packable and a little over a pound.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©