3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you know you've been busted?  (Read 263 times)

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you know you've been busted?
« on: November 03, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
Basically, if I don't hear a snort (or several snorts) I don't think I've been busted.

Tonight I was just standing in front to some cover (I got out to the woods late).  At one point, about 70 yards away, a deer just took off running back the way it came like it was stung by a bee.  No blow, no snort, just a whole lotta run.

For a second I thought another hunter had taken a shot, but there wasn't anyone else around.

Maybe it was the chupacabra.  I think I need a snort.

Offline Got2strum

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you know you've been busted?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
Don't need a snort. I've caught a buck out of the corner of my eye 16 feet away, and watched him just slink back into the brush. I could not move as he was already onto me, unfortunately. Two days later though he didn't see me   :D

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
1. Don't recall deer snorting that often after a missed shot.

2. Have been busted when either rattling or grunting and highly likely was busted far more than I was ever aware of which the deer never snorted. Even watched more than one buck that made me, slip back out the way he came w/o a whisper.

3. Been busted several times in windy conditions with deer even on top of me that never blew.

4. Big deer are known for staying motionless and letting you pass w/i very close proximity while you move on totally unaware.

5. Hearing a snort doesn't actually mean you were the reason for the snort.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
I had a doe come in leading a couple of bucks the weekend before last. She looked up and me and spooked. About three bounds and she stopped and walked on down the trail as if nothing had happened. Naturally, the buck that came into range was a little forky    :mad: . The other one took a shortcut to try and head the doe off.

Last weekend I could see a doe standing in the pasture about 50 yards from my stand. She was looking up into the trees. I wondered at first, what the heck she was doing. She continued to scan the trees until her eyes locked on me. She stared at me, started to stomp her front feet, and turned and walked away. She was looking for ME! She knew about where I had been, but was off by maybe 20 yards to the west. That didn't keep her from finding me. I didn't think she was all that scared the first time, but she remembered.

That's why those old donkeys are so hard to kill!

BTW: she never made a sound either time.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
when the wife says where the hell did this bow come from i know im busted
seriously though the old foot stomp and head bob
means ive been had and the jigs about up

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
when they put the handcuffs on

I always thought the snorting and stomping was to alert all the deer in the area i can't see of danger.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Got2strum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
I also think alot of times mature doe will snort quite a bit to try and lure away the predator that could possibly harm their young. I've had them really jump around and snort kinda like "hey, look at me, over here !".

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
Simple to know. The deer leaves. He may cunningly slink away or break and run like a bat out of hell, but the bottom line he is outta here. The head bobbing and foot stomping is usually a prelude to an impending exodus.
Sam

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
Doesn't have to be a snort.  I knew I was busted last Sunday when I took a step after a minute pause and a doe crashed off from where she had been 60 yards away and unbeknownst to me.

In my experience a deer will be alerted by a sound, alarmed by movement and in afterburner with a scent.  The nose trumps all.  Anyone who has been "made" when still-hunting by a momma doe knows they will doubt their eyes when giving you the "hairy -eyeball" trying to get you to move (and NEVER make eye contact in that situation).  There are also those smart enough not to panic that will wait for you to move past their hide/bed before scramming.  I have also seen deer backtrail a hunter right along the same path the man just went but in the opposite direction.  Had to have scented him.  Now that's just damned smart.  

That's what makes whitetails such a great game animal.  Predictable but full of surprises.  And even the old bucks make the occasional bone-head move.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
I have limited experiences, but I have noticed what I think are trends:
Does snort more, especially with young.

They snort more when they know something is wrong but they haven't figured you out completetly (don't know your human).

When they know you are human they are less apt to snort and tend to just disappear.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
Early in Oct. I shot a coyote from the ground and had to go back the next day to find the yote. 2 weeks later I go to the same spot but sit about 50 yards away from ware I shot the coyote because for the wind that day about 5:20 along come a doe and her fawn and she stops and stares exactly ware I was setting the day I shot the coyote. Now the night I shot the coyote I never even saw a deer so she must have smelled the spot I was sitting and was keeping a close eye on the location. I do not think you need to be busted. They know waer we have been before.

doug77

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
my wife says, "Whats the package on the porch for?"  Thats when i know ive been busted for buying a new bow.  If Im lucky and I beat her home I just put it at the back of the bow rack and let it blend in.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
Anytime I see or hear a deer react negatively, I figure I've been busted.. Could be from crossing my path, could be from a swirling wind, could be from my movement or a reflection.. Regardless "I've been busted"
Realistically I probably get busted at least twice as often as I am aware of, seen more than one buck just quietly turn in his tracks and disappear.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
When they are running away. Have had deer snort and stomp thier feet at me. One time a doe charged me.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
A snort does not a busting make.  Had a train of 6-7 does walk *almost* to my kill zone this morning but the lead one caught me drawing.  They boogied snort-free.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
You were busted Magoo!    :laughing:
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
When you pull into the driveway and realize you smell like perfume.

I have had deer come out while I put a stand up and they watched and when I was done they looked up and stomped and walked away.I also had a buck last year come in about 15 yrds  up wind of me over my left shoulder.I could smell the musk and I couldn't turn all the way around but he just stood there looking at me and walked on.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
For me it wasn't the perfume, it was the scratches on my back.

You're not busted unless they smell you (the deer, that is), if you're moving slowly and quietly. If they don't "make" you as human, they may calm down or even come to you to see what's up. I once jumped a young 6 pt. and just sat right down where I was. In a few minutes he came sneaking back, trying to figure out what I was. Smarter ones will circle to get your scent, and then you ARE busted.

Snorting can mean several things. I've seen relaxed deer within minutes of being snorted at by other deer, and I've seen deer ignore other deer snorting in the area.

I've noticed that my local deer will snort at me the first few times they smell me in the woods, but later they just melt away quietly. I think the key is whether and how much they have been disturbed.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
You got busted.  Often times you can get busted and if the deer doesn't feel threatened or isn't quite sure what's going on they won't even take off, but they know you're there.  Actually a lot of times a mature buck won't snort or even act alarmed.  They'll just turn and go the other direction with their tail down so as not to draw more attention to themselves.  Rally depends on how close you are and what the circumstances are that determines how they react.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 07:07:00 PM »
While I haven't made notes on this, my feeling is a deer snorts less than 10% of the time I've spooked them.  The most likely snort will be one hearing, smelling, or seeing me (or something that concerns them like me) in the dark.  

Ceme24, much experience or not, I think your perceptions of 'trends' are pretty accurate in my experience.

I hate to hear a snort because it is a reaction meant to get the attention of other deer. Although I think the snort is also a ploy to get the questionable disturbance (me) to react so the deer (buck or doe) will know better what the problem is.

The head bob is the amazing one to me. They dip that head as if they are going to feed or nose something and viola, they jerk up to catch you moving!

There are glands between the "toes" of the hooves that release sent when the foot is stomped. Another warning to other deer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©