3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ace 2 blade broadheads  (Read 220 times)

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
Ace 2 blade broadheads
« on: November 03, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
Been made for 60 years. Any down side to them. Look good and price is right. Don

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ace 2 blade broadheads
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
my preferred broadhead over anything else except maybe Ribteks . Great great head that has a proven track record .
if they told me that it was the only broadhead available for the rest of my shooting days I'd be more than happy .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »
I've been shooting the Ace 165 Express for several years and am very happy with them.  They take and hold a great edge, I like the size and weight and I'm yet to damage one.  The Ace Standard with the triple thick tip is virtually indestructable.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 12:25:00 AM »
The Ace standard is my favorite. It sharpens beautifully and is very strong. Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 06:21:00 AM »
Have used Ace broadheads and small game points for years as well.  love them.  Quality, reasonable priced, holds edge, easy to sharpen, and gives good clean humane kill.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 06:24:00 AM »
Same here. Good, inexpensive heads that sharpen up fairly easily. They are quiet in flight and shoot great as well.

Offline Victory Rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »
I really like the 160 and 165. Easy to sharpen, tough and a great price.
68" Mohawk "Classic" 50# @ 30", Bacote
62" Trad Tines Recurve 50# @ 30"
Ben Pearson Colt 62" 41# @ 28"
Ben Pearson Golden Sovereign Knight 60" 50# @ 28"

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 07:38:00 AM »
Ace makes a great head but you asked if there was any downside.  The answer is "yes," but you need to weigh them for yourself.

The Ace has a curved edge.  Some find this hard to sharpen, some do not.  Also the ferrule on the Ace is not smooth.  Ashby claims this reduces penetration.

The doe I killed with an Ace 160 never complained about these problems.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
Have shot several deer with the ACE 200's and love them.  Easy to sharpen  and don't forget, the Ashby stuff gets pretty nit-picky considering people have been killing everything from elephants to moles with bows "before" he came up with the things you need to do before your arrow won't just bounce off.  Keep 'em sharp, shoot all the weight you can handle accurately and make sure you arrows are flying straight off the bow.

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
They're all I buy anymore. I've found them to be real easy to file sharpen, and they're extremely tough.

That being said, judging by the last four or five deer I've killed I have noticed that these heads seem to be somewhat claustrophobic... as soon as you put them inside a deer they jump right out the other side!    :bigsmyl:
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
I like the way they sharpen and fly,,,,,,the price can't be beat!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ben Maher:
my preferred broadhead over anything else except maybe Ribteks . Great great head that has a proven track record .
if they told me that it was the only broadhead available for the rest of my shooting days I'd be more than happy .
Good to know.  When my hoard of Ribtek 125S and 125W heads fails I had been considering the Ace.  Guess I better pick up a few to try out.  I love the Ribtek - very Ben Pearson Skeleton retro look and as rugged as anything I have ever used.  I stump-shoot and small game hunt with broadheads.  That's much rougher on heads than the occasional deer.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
Just put Ace 160gr on some heavier woods I got from Greg Sweeney. Easy to install & easier to sharpen to razor edge.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©