3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bob Lee and Palmer TD Recurves  (Read 421 times)

Offline Nathan Bowen

• Trad Bowhunter
Bob Lee and Palmer TD Recurves
« on: May 26, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »
How different are the takedown recurves from these two bowyers? They look very much like one another which leads me to ask what diference they have in performance?
Thanks
Nathan

Offline Texas Tinman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bob Lee and Palmer TD Recurves
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »
Mike Palmer used to shoot for Bob Lee (Wing Archery) when he was a young man. The two-bolt per limb system is a link to the Wing Presentation II, the first 3-pc. TD.

Years after Wing was gone, Mike and Bob started building bows together for a very short time under the name "Pardners"...this bow looks like an early Bob Lee laminated riser with the "shelf" for lack of a better word of the Palmer riser at the limb connection.

I was told once, though not by Mike or Bob, that the riser shelf was something they didn't agree on and each moved on to form their own company.

So, it's no surprise that the two bows look similar. Both build great bows.

As to performance? I've heard that Palmer's double-carbon limbs are very fast and stable...but my Bob Lee didn't give it much.

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
I have heard that the Bob Lee is smoother, but the Palmer is faster. Can anyone confirm this?

BD
BD

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 03:10:00 PM »
I have not drawn a Bob Lee but I did draw a Palmer double carbon last fall and I couldn't believe how smooth it drew.

Offline Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
I own 2 Palmer recurve bows (single/double) and one Bob Lee recurve bow.  My Palmer's seem to draw smoother than my Bob Lee and seem to shoot the same arrow just a little bit faster.  Both bows are really well made and shoot great and I would highly recommend either one.  The Bob Lee is lighter in mass weight than my maple Palmers so it's easier to tote around during hunting or 3-d shoots.  I was at Mike's shop in Sabinal, TX recently to see the new trad slam and Mike let me shoot his (51@28).  I really didn't notice much difference in speed compared to my old Palmer's, however it was a great looking bow and light like my Bob Lee.  I left his shop ASAP so as not to order one but couldn't resist and I called him on the way home took the plunge.  I know they're pricey, but it sure is a great looking/shooting bow and it may be the last one he builds before he calls it quits.  Not that I have inside info on that it's just what I believe.
Moon

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 08:31:00 AM »
I've always been curious about the 2-bolt system these bows use. Have you heard either bowyer say there is an advantage over the one bolt & alignment pin?

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
I have owned both of these TD's and I would give the Palmer the edge speedwise but speed aint everything. The Lee has to have one of the best grips going and seems to be more forgiving. Both are outstanding, world class bows.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©