3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whats the deal with the Vanilla?  (Read 327 times)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Whats the deal with the Vanilla?
« on: November 04, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
I have read many times on here about Vanilla used to attract deer and as cover scent.So who uses it and whats your success with it? and what part of the country did you use it in and when.   :coffee:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whats the deal with the Vanilla?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
Killed my first archery buck as he was licking vanillakilla off the branch. Used it for years with alot of success. Still would except that I prefer to go scent free until the rut, then use a appropriate scent for that time.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
Tried it in West Michigan from Oct to Jan.
Took little cotton balls soaked in vanilla extract and wedged them up in tree limbs.

Saw deer walk right by them without paying any attention to them at all. Never had one fall out or come up missing as if it was disturbed by a deer or anything else.

Seems to me they'd try to eat it if they liked the smell.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
Used it back in about 1980 in Pennsylvania before scent use was common.  I put some on my hat, collar, clothes etc.  Just a tiny dab here and there.  Walked up onto a doe by accident and she stood there and stomped, snorted and all the usual stuff but I didn't move a bit.  Then she started to circle until she got my wind.  She stood there and lip curled (sort of, that's what it looked like anyway) head bobbed and even walked a little closer to about 20 yards when she just sort of relaxed and walked away.  I was so busy imitating a tree that I never even tried to shoot.  Heck, I was only 15 and didn't really have a clue about bowhunting.

So, the one time I was using it and had an encounter fairly close, I'd say it worked.  Don't know about nowadays with deer able to tell the difference between Tinks 69 and Mrs Doe Pee and probably tell ya which one was fresher....
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Cottonwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »
I used it without deer paying it any mind at all this year.
Member: Montana Bowhunters Association, Traditional Bowhunters of Montana

"I don't bowhunt for a living... but I live to bowhunt the traditional way!"

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
I used it once and got busted.  I was on the ground and a doe followed the scent around a thicket.  When she rounded the corner she was about 8 feet from me.  GAME OVER!!  the scent did not alarm her, in fact, she followed it.  It was not the vanilla's fault, but i have not used it again.  

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
Remember the scent Russel Hull use to sell called "cover up"?  i think that was vanilla based.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
While not natural in the US woods it is a natural scent which probably triggers the curiousity of a deer.  Bears like it enough to come in and investigate it.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
I use it on my boots.  Have had young bucks follow my scent trail in.  Took a doe last year while she was licking it off a branch I sprayed the day before.
Have not noticed anything this season.  It does not spook them.  I have deer move under me and not notice.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
Since 1986 I have used the Original Cover Up from Russ Hull. Talked with him quite a few times on how to use it effectively. It was a Vanilla/Chloropyll base liquid.

Now...Travis Wakefield added an oil base to all Cover Up products. Lasts longer and is just as effective. The 4 Day is slightly sweeter smelling but the deer still are unaffected and ease in unalarmed. Curiosity is a big factor but its a great masking scent.

I still use the stuff on my boots...except in Jersey. I use the 4 Day Earth because too many bears seem to like the stuff....   :eek:    :saywhat:    :laughing:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Balding Kansan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
I used to use it all the time because I didn't like the smell of coon pee. Be prepared to fend off squirrels and coons, they seemed to LOVE the smell of it. Oh, works nice for deer too.
I hate rudeness in a man...won't tolerate it. -Lonesome Dove
Hill Country Harvest Master
KennyM Swap bow

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
I used it on my boots as a cover this year the deer had no clue were I had wlaked, I will be useing it from now on!!!
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
I've used somebody's concoction of 2 parts pure vanilla extract, 1 part anise oil diluted woth water with some success.  Never turned 'em off anyway.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline highnoonhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
I've tried it with excellent results, and no results.
But I used it a little differently. I would buy a bottle of cheap pancake syrup, and pour enough out to pour in a bottle of vanilla. And then shake it real good and squirt it out in several places around my stand.
It seemed to work really well in areas with a lot of deer where you would see two or more traveling together, but I had single deer to spook from it.

Could just be a single deer thing, that by their self they were afraid, or tow or more relaxed the other enough to investigate.

But I haven't used it in several years. Last time I did bears and coons messed up the whole place around my stand overnight.
Member: Christian Bowhunters of America
Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild, Inc.
-
Holmes Mongoose reverse handle longbow. 63" 63@28
Longriver Longbow: 69" 69@28
Kolometz Kustom Longbow 66" 76@28

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
I use docs deer scent sweet demise #7 and have had great results with it .
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©