3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Timbertall or Treewalker climbing stands?  (Read 239 times)

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
Timbertall or Treewalker climbing stands?
« on: November 04, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
Just wondering if anyone uses either of these stands, and if so, can you give a review?  Thx.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Timbertall or Treewalker climbing stands?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
I had a Timbertall and it was the best stand I ever used.
John

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
I have 2 Timbertalls and they are the best stands I have used.  Both weigh about 14 lbs and are really easy to carry in.  They are easy to set up and fit around most trees I want to hunt in and are very stable.  The seats are comfortable enough and I can stay in them a long time and I'm almost 57 yrs old.  The greatest thing about them is the ability to adjust the level of both the top and the bottom without having to disconnect anything.  How many times have you arrived at your tree, judged the taper of the tree at your sitting height and then got up there and found the thing at a precipitous angle?  Not a problem with a Timbertall.  You just turn the wheel and level the thing out.  They are a little pricey but their light weight, superb construction and the self-leveling ability are worth it.

Offline Passthru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
I have a Timbertall, a Treewalker, and a Lone Wolf Sit and Climb.

I think the LW is the best overall stand.  Sometimes I use one of the others when a specific feature is desired.  

The Timbertall is the lightest, but also the loudest during carry, setup, and climbing.  The adjustable cables seem to be a compensation for poor design more than a bonus feature.  The angle is so shallow, that a small change in tree taper equals a large change in cable length.  I'll start with it as tight as I can get it, and it will still be too loose up high after I tighten them fully. Then I have to loosen them on the way down.  The frame on my Babylite is too short for my 5'-10" frame.  My knees hit the bar.  I have to set the upper frame very high or very low.  I guess I need a brutelite.  It is light though.  Mine weights an honest 13 lbs.  It's so light that a small bump to the top or the bottom without your weight on it, will cause it to fall.  The top has a belt to secure it to the tree once at hunting height, but you've got to be really careful when standing to advance your safety harness while climbing.   Tying the bottom to the the top is critical.

My Treewalker was advertised as being 17 lbs, but they really weigh about 22.  I wasn't happy about that.  They only give the weight of the frames.  It carries nicely without any bungies.  The frames lock together with friction.  If you carry it belts up, there are some spikes that can stick you in the back of the head if you trip though.  You can carry it the other way with one bungie, which is included.  The net seat is very comfortable.  Of the three, it's the most comfortable.  I have and use the chill pad.  It climbs well, but hitting the angle right is a roll of the dice.

My LW is 21 lbs.  It had the older style seat, which was terrible.  I put a Summit padded seat on it and it's pretty nice, other than it sits a bit close to the tree.  I can't sleep in it, but I can sit all day.  The belts can occasionally be troublesome on rough bark when climbing.  They hang up a bit.  Setup, takedown, and packing are lightyears ahead of the other two.  It's easily the most quiet.  The built-in bowholder is nice.  I can ajust the top and bottom belts as I climb, if needed.  I use the stability belts and my legs to to hold up the base while I adjust the belt.  It sounds harder than it is.  I can do it quicker and quieter than I can with the Timbertall.  These are now made overseas.  You can get US made used ones off archerytalk for $275 shipped all day long.  Consider the wide model if you're...well..wide.

In the end, you have to decide which features are most important to you.  My son uses the Timbertall because it's light and he's 12.  I bounce between the LW and the Treewalker, depending upon desired comfort, quietness, and weapon.  I personally don't care for the bars around me with a traditional bow.

You might also consider a Summit Razor SS or a Viper, depending upon if you want a moveable bar.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
Thx for the info folks.  Nice write-up Passthru.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 12:06:00 AM »
I wouldn't have anything but A Treewalker ,They are the most solid ,Well built stand I've ever had.

Last time I was in mine,I was standing on the edge, Realized it ,And then saw that nothing was moving ,Really solid  ,Well made ,And it's made in the USA Not in China like a lone wolf .

Well thought out too ,I've never had a more Easier climber to use than a Treewalker climbing stand .And my Treewalker his 17 1/2 pounds ,Great down to the oz.,I have no trouble packing it through the woods.

That's my vote ,But it's your money !

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 06:33:00 AM »
That was a good write up Passthru. The Treewalker and Timbertall look interesting but the top section comes out pretty far and would reduce shot angles.

Along the same line I like to be able to flip up my seat to get close to the tree. That is important in places where deer tend to be stand savvy.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
I have a removable bar on my treewalker

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline 2 Barrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
I have the tree walker.It's the absolute best climber ever.Mine has the solid front bar.In four seasons of use i havent had a shot angle issue.I'm 6'2" and 245# i sat in mine from 6:30 til 12:30 today completley comfortable.I really dont think you can buy better.Thanks,Jim
Never trust a bald man with a pony tail.If he's not honest with himself.He wont be honest with you.

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
My vote for the timbertall....serious bowhunters and a great product! The Brute-lite is a great, stable platform to hunt from. No slam on the tree walker, I just like the timbertall better.....cheers
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©