3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Worst day ever  (Read 480 times)

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
Worst day ever
« on: November 04, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
I've read a fair amount of bad things happening to folks on forums over the years. Mostly typical things; limbs breaking, stands stolen etc. But have you ever lost 30 acres. Went hunting this morning and found that 30 of the 40 acers was bulldozed under. I mean parking lot clear. Seems the owner of the land sold the hard wood trees and the company that bought them cleared out every thing. They pushed the refuse to the edge of the tree line creating a barricade in front of the 10 remaining acers. How about that for bad luck.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Worst day ever
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
Sorry to hear it...that stinks!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
Thats stinks..............for this year. Wait unitl next year when that whole area is nasty brush and the deer pile in for you. For now, try cutting a path through the barricade for those lazy deer to find, ambush them on the other side.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
This is the first time you've looked at where you hunt in a year?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
Yep, that sucks alright.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by PEARL DRUMS:
For now, try cutting a path through the barricade for those lazy deer to find, ambush them on the other side.
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
Can the "LandOwner" say  "GLOBAL WARMING"????   Just Burns MY Arse  when  GREED  gets in the way of  NATURAL/NATURE!!!   :mad:    :mad:    :mad:    :nono:  You Dont  FOOL  with Mother Nature!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
Yep, I know that one.  The land where I killed my first buck with a bow was strip mined a few years ago.  Maybe it will be good deer habitat again in about 50 years.

The biggest threat to hunting isn't the anti-hunters.  It's loss of habitat and hunting opportunities.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
I'de go get a bag of winter rye and seed it in ASAP. It will become a deer magnet.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
Often times the slick-cleared land is the landowner's fault, not the timber harvester.  The landowners want something that "looks good" so they have the timber crews remove all that beneficial slash that should be left in place to put nutrients back in the soil and provide habitat.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with clear cutting.  As a matter of fact it's often times beneficial to the land.  Hate it had to happen to you during the season, though.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »
that would be disturbing for sure.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
Same thing happened to me last year.  Wasn't 75% of where I hunt though, just the entire hollow that I liked to hunt in.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
Take advantage of the barricade the deer will travel along it like they do a fence line don't wait get a stand near the barricade.JMHO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
A half-dozen years ago a farm I hunted from time to time was sold to developers and mostly cleared.

Back in 1982 or so I built a permanent stand (I know, but it was pretty common in those days) in a huge old, live tree. I can't remember the species. I put the stand up in the spring because it was near a very nasty, brushy marsh that deer came out of in the evenings to go through a 200-yard wide patch of woods into a corn field. I showed up an hour before light on opening day and tried to find the stand. I looked and looked and couldn't even find the tree. I was flabergasted. I sat down and waited for daylight. When it got light I saw the tree, it had blown over, stand and all-- bummer but no where near as bad as your deal.

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
David no I was there less than a week ago and talked with the owner. It was still prime deer habitat.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline carbonflyr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
something like that happened to me yrs. ago. the landowner cleared off a 2acre point of cover with a bulldozer and unknowingly buried 2 treestands under 20 ft. of rocks,mud, and treestumps :-(

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
Can the "LandOwner" say "GLOBAL WARMING"???? Just Burns MY Arse when GREED gets in the way of NATURAL/NATURE!!!     You Dont FOOL with Mother Nature!!

First off, I am sorry about you losing your hunting spot and I'm not trying to be insensitive, but the above post is a little ridiculous.  Do you live in a house?  I'm guessing there is some wood in it.  How about the bow you shoot, if that's you in your avatar then it looks like it's made out of wood.  Do you drive a car that requires fossil fuels to run?  I'm pretty sure trees have been cut down for you to enjoy your life, why can't the landowner decide what to do with his land?  Plus it's not like new trees can't be planted or crops that will help feed the wildlife.  Might want to check into that whole global warming thing too.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
Fresh cut down down here means good hunting! I do not like to see the woods get cut because they want the pines here and all hardwoods go with em so that does stink but it can and does make for some good hunting.

Attack it from the bright side and smoke some deer in there - they will make use of that cutover - Especially up there where they do not run dogs? deer should move even better.

As it grows up be sure to keep you some good paths through there.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Shakes.602:
Can the "LandOwner" say  "GLOBAL WARMING"????   Just Burns MY Arse  when  GREED  gets in the way of  NATURAL/NATURE!!!    :mad:      :mad:      :mad:      :nono:   You Dont  FOOL  with Mother Nature!!
Natural would be letting it burn once a generation.  

Young growth is better for 95% of wildlife and sucks up WAY more CO2 than old growth does.  I'm assuming the landowner plans to let the forest come back, of course.

If so, you will have a heck of a hunting spot in ten years or so.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
To do all that in a week right before hunting season stinks.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©