3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: after a spine shot?  (Read 1615 times)

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
after a spine shot?
« on: November 06, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
What is the best way to dispatch a deer after a spine shot?

Thanks Charlie

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: after a spine shot?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
You will get many ideas here. I use my knife and two quick blows to take out the lungs. Cutting the jugular is good too, but I think lungs are faster and easier.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline 2 Barrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »
I've only spine shot one deer.I was in a tree when i did it.I shot the deer again through the lungs and another arrow through the heart.At the time it seemed less tramatic for the animal.Thanks,Jim
Never trust a bald man with a pony tail.If he's not honest with himself.He wont be honest with you.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
If he aint a kickin and wollering I do what Jerry does and take out the lungs with a sticker.

If he is a thrashing at all, I put another one in him and walk away.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
Way less traumatic to me and the deer if I shoot him ASAP!

I hate the thought of a deer looking me in the eyes as I walk up to it.  I'd rather just shoot it again so it doesn't even know what happened...just me...

It's also pretty dangerous to walk up on a buck...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
Ive never had it happen to me, or anybody I was with. I hope it never does. I have done the deed to cattle, hogs, chickens a so on but I dont think I could stab or slice my beloved whitetails, it would be very hard for me. I like the follow up shot the best.

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
Cutting the throat seems like a good idea at the time but it can have consquences. My hunting partner once spined a fine 8pt and climbed down out of his stand to do the deed on his prize. When he lifted the bucks head the buck kicked hard to try and gain his feet, but only connected with my friends shin! When I got to him after a frantic call for help, it took me two hours to get him and his deer 200 yards to the truck. That was probably 8 yrs ago and he still wears the scars. SHOOT THEM AGAIN FROM A DISTANCE!!
GLENN

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
I would put an arrow in the the boiler room. Take out the lungs or other major vitals like Jerry said. My brother hit a moster muley one year in the spine. He walk up casually and when he got close it stood up and was gone. It must not have penetrate enough and just stund him. It's tough on the arrow when they are on the ground but I like to make sure they are down. It easies their suffering if they are still alive too. I have had do this more than once.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
Put another arrow in them quickly.  That works for me anyway.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
I would have to totally agree with Curt on this. Even a doe can hurt ya if she gets a leg moving. Better safe than sorry guys.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
I've done that once and I hated it.  It's never pretty or easy, that's for sure.   However you pull it off, practice your shooting so it doesn't happen to you anymore.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »
A second arrow is the way too go.  I've got down from a tree to get into position but getting close enough to knife it is not very smart.  I too have a friend that got 62 stitches in his leg from a dead deer.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
I've  spined my share of whitetails. More often than not they are not laying still and the thought of cutting ones' throat with a knife seems like it would be risky. I simply walk up behind them trying not to disturb them any more than necessary and shoot them in the lung area. I walk away for a while, then come back when I am sure they are dead. I once shot a nice big doe a bit far back and got liver with an exit low in the belly...she took a step foward as I shot.  I left her for the night and when I found her she was still alive. I had to shoot  her in the lungs to finish the job. I hate it when that happens.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
A second arrow is the way to go.   A deers hooves will slice you and dice you!   Why tempt fate or put yourself in danger?
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
Yes, second arrow! You don't have to do it from the tree. Get down and approach cautiously, then take a 10 yard coup.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
Second arrow in the lungs.....the only way to go! Cutting a deers throat or stabbing it in the lungs is not the way to go and could be dangerous. Plus that's what the arrows are for!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
The first time I hunted with a muzzleloader, about 10 years ago, I spine shot the biggest buck I've seen on my property while hunting from the ground. When I approached him, he kept turning away so I couldn't put the finishing shot in the lungs, so I shot him in the neck. I sat near him for a few minutes waiting for him to expire, and to my great surprise his back legs started to work, and he lunged forward, almost getting me with his antlers. I didn't have another round (learned THAT lesson), and by the time I got back to him with more ammo he had moved about 50 yards. He got up and ran like he was unhurt, flagging and snorting, and I haven't seen him since. I followed his running tracks, no blood I could see, for about a quarter mile before I lost the trail.

My ex wife once shot a young buck near the spine with a rifle. He went down, kicked a bit, then got up and ran off. The second shot hit his chest and did him in. Oddly enough she had nicked the same buck in the neck two weeks before from the same stand.

A "spine" shot is not necessarily lethal, if it misses the spinal cord. Sometimes it just stuns them, so a follow-up shot should ALWAYS be taken.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:
Way less traumatic to me and the deer if I shoot him ASAP!

I hate the thought of a deer looking me in the eyes as I walk up to it.  I'd rather just shoot it again so it doesn't even know what happened...just me...

It's also pretty dangerous to walk up on a buck...
Exactly how I was gonna say it.

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
Yep put another arrow in them.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »