3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ground hunting  (Read 611 times)

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
ground hunting
« on: November 06, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
Well this afternoon will be my first ground hunt any advice other than keep the wind in my face? I have bad wind for the stands that I have hung so I'm trying the ground.   :thumbsup:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ground hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
No advice here, but I may follow your lead. The leaves are all gone now and getting visually busted is happening to much already.

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
Well let's both come back tonight with some blood soaked arras. Good luck and shoot straight

Offline Rank Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
Yeah, If you find a good spot your gonna hang around for a bit in, clear all the sticks and leaves where you will be standing. That way you can position yourself quietly if one comes in.

Also, If you have a good shot take it. Don't wait for the better shot. Most of the time it doesn't get better. lol

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
Move slower than you think you need to and have good cover in front of you and behind if possible. Oh yeah keep your eyes peeled. The can sneak up on you real easy on the ground!

Keeping the Faith!
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
Enjoy...and good luck.   :thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
Prepare to be busted a lot. I was ghillied up this morning in a ground blind, had a pretty decent 4x4 coming down a trail, nose to the ground. I had the wind, but as I slowwwwwlllyy raised my bow, he nailed me at about 15 yards. It's all part of the game when you are on the ground. Have fun.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
Don't let them get too close. A shot at 15 or 20 yards at an unwary deer is much better than a 8 or 12 yard shot at a wary deer.

I know the tendency for us Traditional Bowhunters is to want to get as close as possible, and that's a good thing. The bad thing is that when deer are close it's really easy to get busted as several of the guys have said. Let them stay out there a ways and give yourself the chance to make a good shot.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
If your waiting till the deer are within 15 yards to get your bow up, I think your to late and are GOING to get busted. Get your bow up as soon as you see them.

This seems to work the best for me.

doug77

Offline Cottonwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
Can't add any better than what has been said, but what a RUSH to be at ground level when you strike home.
Member: Montana Bowhunters Association, Traditional Bowhunters of Montana

"I don't bowhunt for a living... but I live to bowhunt the traditional way!"

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
Don't forget to check behind you frequently. Even if you have the wind in your face, they always come from where you least expect it.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline stykbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
These guys have said it!!! Just to add--
If you think you are moving slow you're still twice as fast as you need be!!
I'm spending much more time on terra-firm!
Other things being equal, it is the man who
shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark.
                 Saxon Pope
For an Archer, to release an arrow is to release a part
of himself.
Fred Bear

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
Watch out for twigs between you and the deer before you release the arrow...  :rolleyes:

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
Enjoy hunting from the ground..... It's full of action!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
I killed a buck last Wednesday night from a makeshift ground blind. Make sure you have good cover right behind you to break up outline. Move slowly when you go to shoot. I actually feel less conspicuous on the ground than when in a tree and, for me it is a lot more comfortable for a long sit.

Offline Wolfie2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
Yeah I don't know about this ground thing??? A.D.D. and walking slow are like oil and water.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
Once you get used to hunting on the ground ,You'll mentally start thinking differently ,You have to think like the deer ,Wind in face ,Note that the surroundings ,Will they circle around ,You have to start asking yourself some serious questions when you pick a spot to set up ,I have been using the "Bush in a Bag" Got it from big Jim sponsor on here ,And it is great ,It's easy to use you can wear it ,Or make a blind out of it ,I did that today in combination with other branches and twigs ,It is one I setup .Just don't get frustrated ,Be patient .

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
Agree. within 15-20 yards it's hard not to get busted. Happened to me 4 times now. Even if they don't run, you'll notice that they just don't come closer, leave slowly, and take another path. Not an accident. They found you. I find that if I wear a camo cover on my face they don't pick you up as fast. Having a bare face especially with glasses is a dead giveaway. If they start to stare take the shot or they'll be gone. And shoot a little low in case they duck the arrow.

sam

sam

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 11:59:00 PM »
Slow down, then slow down some more.  Move into the prime areas and then really slow down and let them come to you.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline -Achilles-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 12:07:00 AM »
Well I can offer some.

I'm assuming your stalking.stillhunting.

No body movement above the waste unless you just absolutly have to and if your do do it slow..Be a statue.

Hope you got good camo and face paint won't hurt.

White man walk alot see little,indian walk little see alot.

Look ALOT walk little.Listen ALOT.

I don't know where you going but are the leaves crunchy noisy to step on?

If so remember this.Its ok to make a lil noise.There are all kinds of sounds in the woods from squirrels or whatever.There is a difference between noise and sounds.Noise are sounds that are out of place.You don't want to just take off walking doing the "city shuffle".Deer know what a human walking through the woods sounds like.I can tell the difference between a squirrel,deer,armadillo or whatever from the sounds they make.Can you?Thats important.

Blend in with the sounds of other animals.

Of course wind in your face.

If its windy only move when the wind gusts pic up so to drown out the noise you make.

Its hard to tell someone how to do it its kind of something you learn from trial and error.

I hope that helps.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©