3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A one bow guy or gal?  (Read 1719 times)

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
A one bow guy or gal?
« on: November 06, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
Just wondering who out there only uses one bow to target shoot,3-d, small game, big game,and your reason why, also what kind. Thinking myself of going that route, I don't need them all anymore.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A one bow guy or gal?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
Here's mine, it's a bamboo backed hickory 70" longbow with a ratan wrapped handle. 53# @ 28". I made this for a customer and then I couldn't find him to have him pay for it, he just vanished. If he ever shows up I'll sell it to him.  But in the meantime it's my bow.  Not fancy, no shelf, no rest, not fast flight campatible, just plain and simple, (a little like me I guess.)  
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
ya, my wife wishes
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
I shoot only one, My 44# Chek Mate hunter II. My 41# Kings pawn is on permanent loan to a friend I converted to recurve. I shoot one bow because I like my huneter II and I don't have to make any adjustments when I shoot.

Why wouldn't I shoot 3D with the same bow I hunt with. Makes perfect sense to me
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
Mike, love those long bows. Cool grip ya got there. I shoot my 70" yew Mahantango long bow for every thing.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
I have been shooting (mostly) the same bow 4 years-have another identical one as back up. Recently I couldn't take it anymore and went on a buying binge-bought a whole bunch. Nice to have the variety, but they will be collecting dust before much longer.
Committing to one bow takes a lot of discipline especially if you belong to Trad Gang, but it does wonders for accuracy.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 02:05:00 PM »
I was going to post something similiar.  I keep going back and forth between my take down recurve and a red oak board bow I made over the summer.  I assisted in the making of my recurve and made my red oak bow all by myself.  So I'd love to kill something with my new longbow but then I feel as though I'm cheating on my recurve.  I keep going back and forth.  It's giving me a headache.  I've spent more time this fall wondering if I'm hunting with the right bow rather than wondering if I'm hunting the right area.  I'd love to be a one bow guy.  It would certainly uncomplicate things.  Accuracy would imrpove.  But then I see a Hill or a Northern Mist and I start to wonder what it would be like...  ARGHHH!  There I go again.

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
Can't say I'm a one bow guy. For one thing it's nice to have a back-up...or even a different type bow just for a change of pace. That said, I do have a favorite longbow that I find myself continually going back to. Moreover, starting around the beginning of August each year I pretty much only shoot the bow I plan to take on my fall hunts that year.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
i have 1 recurve 2 sets of limbs with the same poundage,just different lengths.small game,3d,all of the above...black widow pma2 [email protected] only thing i change is my arrow weights for 3d till seasons get closer then i go to my hunting arrow weight
i like biscuits

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
I use the same bow for targets, 3Ds, small game and big game.  The reason I shoot targets, small game and 3Ds is to get the most accuracy out of my bows for HUNTING.  There fore I practice with the bow I hunt deer and elk with.

Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
I am so to speak a one bow guy. I recently received my Beeler Tracker longbow and have already killed a hog with it and intend to harvest more. I have searched for years for a bow that by design would allow me with proper tuning to shoot a heavier arrow and head. This bow is what I call a bow of a life time. HOWEVER, I recently sent my Marriah Thermal recurve riser to Mike Mecredy to have some longbow limbs made for it. The reasoning being, I want a take-down in case I decide to travel and hunt, but the Beeler is my go to bow for all time. My Beeler gives me what I call "the sensation of the normal", which means that it has such comfort to shoot that it feels as though it is an extension of my body to the point that it draws smooth, anchors right where I want it, and the release is clean, and the arrow flys straight to the target. When I shoot this bow whether hunting or in the backyard I have confidence that I will hit the mark each time I release, and confidence is an important part of the success equation in traditional archery. This to me is a bow of a life time. I hope this makes sense.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »
None of us "need" to own more than one bow. For me, it's just hard to part with most of the bows that I have. Just dig 'em so much... Just before and during hunting season I'll use/shoot/hunt with only one.... Thinking that's smart.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
Does owning two identical bows with a third matching bow on order count?
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline TC in Spfld

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
I've been shooting the same BW MAII for 20 years.

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
I have   1 laminated  longbow,   1  recurve, and   1 self bow.  Does that qualify?     :D
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline Dean Lintz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
I shoot only one bow at a time does that count. I switch back and forth year to year.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
No. I wish it was so.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
No way can I get by with just one bow.  Wish I could but I can't (or don't want to....not sure which).   :dunno:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline helo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
I really want to be a one bow guy someday but for now its no contest I shot two different ones this afternoon.Still looking for the one to make me settle down.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dean Lintz:
I shoot only one bow at a time does that count. I switch back and forth year to year.
Yeah.......me too !!!!!!!

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©