3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Three Booner Day  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Three Booner Day
« on: November 06, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
I hesitate telling you guys this because I don't want for anyone to think we're hunting an enclosure or something. Actually it's three adjoining farms owned by three good friends who allow us to hunt. And by the way, there's not a single food plot on any of the farms. We're just hunting the structural terrain. I know you guys appreciate hearing this stuff so I'll relate what happened today. As most of you know I got a big buck last weekend and although I have a couple doe tags I'm mostly just taking video footage. This morning at 9 AM I had the one we call Holyfield (because of the chunk out of his left ear) come by at 10 yds. He was a 7x6 last week but he broke off a point so he's now a 6x6. Gene and I both decided he was only 4 1/2 so we took him off the hit list for another season. I already passed him up last week. Got some great footage in the sunshine though. Then this afternoon I sat a stand we call Ol' Yeller. At 4:20 here comes three does running right to me followed by Hurley, the big non-typical I want more than any of them. He's absolutely stunning in real life. The trail camera pics just don't do him justice. The wind was out of the SE and they were NE of me. The does got to 30 yds. and I felt the wind shift out of the SW. They busted me before I got the camera on, then I couldn't move. He stood there at 42 yds. (the high-tech boys would have got him) for a full five minutes but I couldn't blink because of the does watching me. Finally one of the does snorted and he took off to the NW. I got a few seconds of footage just as he topped out the pasture. Very frustrating in that he stood there in the sunlight for five minutes in all his glory and I didn't get a lick of film for everyone to enjoy. Before I finish this I forgot to tell everyone last week (while I still had my tag) I sat the same stand I sat this morning. It was a hard frost that morning, but I had stuff I needed to do so headed out about 10 AM. As I slipped out along a skid road the frost had melted and it was quiet going. As I rounded a bend there on the logging road 50 yds. from me was Hurley standing in a scrape doing the overhead branch thing. I saw him before he saw me. I back-stepped three or four paces and knelt down in a little cedar. Here he comes right to me. If he continued on the skid road when he rounded another tree he was going to be 15 yds. But he only got 1/4 of the way and took a left down into the hardwoods. I didn't want to wheeze because he would have just circled downwind and busted me, so I let him walk away and quietly slipped out. Then I realized when I saw him he was working a big scrape right in front of one of our trail cameras. On pulling the chip we found out the camera wasn't working. I wonder what Walt Larson would say about that since it was a Cuddeback? Anyway, back to this afternoon. At 5:55 here comes seven does followed by a huge bodied non-typical. His left antler is stunted and his right has a couple long N/T points. I got some footage of him. Then five minutes later here comes four does and a spikehorn. They all crossed the fence and walked right under me. Behind them was the giant we call Picket. He's a standing 6x6 typical that will push the 180's. I got some poor footage trying to maneuver the camera from auto to manual focus so it wouldn't focus on the twigs between us. Here he comes. He stops at 20 yds. behind and under a leafy overhanging branch and worked a scrape. Now, as I said in my book, weird stuff seems to happen to me. I'm sure he's going to walk right under me. Just as he's ready to come to me my cell phone in my shirt pocket goes off. Yes... I had it on vibrate but he heard it and locked up. It buzzed like a dozen times and he just stood there. It stopped ringing and everything was cool... until the chime thingy goes off to tell me I have a message. That's all it took and he ran the other way. Granted, I only have doe tags but I was still a frazzled wreck. I wanted to share this because it's not often one sees THREE Boone and Crockett class bucks in a single day. Here's hoping this will give you guys the confidence to hang in there because you never know when it'll happen. Best of luck to all. BW

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Three Booner Day
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
Dang Barry.........I want some of what YOU had for breakfast today. It sounds like you had a day for the "record books". Thanks for taking us along.

Winterhawk1960

P.S. I think in the late season......ol' Hurley is gonna be in trouble.
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
Great story UB. I would need some high grade pharmacueticals if I had something like that within 100yds of me ! Hate it that the wind switched on ya, but at the same time sorta glad that I am not the only one that seems to happen to. We have no where near that caliber deer here in TN but I have had two solid 140's bust me at 40-50yds when the wind switched at the worse time. One totally turned himself wrongside out, the other just simply turned and went back the way he and his girlfirend came. The first was a evening hunt when my scent was falling and the buck was in a deep hollow, the second a morning hunt with thermals rising. The first got a solid whiff I am sure by the way he acted, the second only a little due to the thermals taking most over his head.

Love the ground encounter you had with Hurley ! That is awesome. Been thru the cell phone vibrating thing as well. Bout jumped out of the tree one day when I bumped the voice dialing button on the Blackberry and it says in a thundering voice, " Say a command " !!! How much longer does Hurley have before you can buck hunt again UB ??? I am sure when that date comes Hurley is going to make the front page, haha !!!
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 05:02:00 AM »
I know you are making videos but can we get a few still photos as a teaser?  Love to see those bucks.  I am lucky to see one or two P&Y bucks in a season - let aloe three booners in a day.  

Bob Urban

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 06:03:00 AM »
Hopefully you'll get a crack at Hurley with that late season tag. I was in love with Iowa the first time I went back in 94.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 06:21:00 AM »
Barry,
Need a bow caddy?
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 06:27:00 AM »
The rest of us could only wish for a day like that. I doubt that I have ever seen a B and C whitetail in the wild, let alone three in one day. I'm happy seeing a P and Y whitetail once or twice in a season. If you guys get overwhelmed with huge deer, I would be happy to try and help out.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 06:37:00 AM »
Those kinda stories keep us all dreamin" Barry!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
David M. Conroy

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 06:55:00 AM »
Gun season starts here next Friday.  Stories like this are what keeps me pluggin away with the bow.  

It's refreshing to hear that sometimes you get busted too.  I feel better already.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 07:00:00 AM »
Please think about putting up more pics of these guys....gives us stuff to drool over.  Great names too!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 07:18:00 AM »
Barry asked me to put some photos of these bucks up for you guys.  This is "Pickit".

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 07:22:00 AM »
This is "Holyfield"

These are like mugshots...I expect next the boys will have them all in a lineup somehow!

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 07:25:00 AM »
Thanks Barry...the story is certainly motivating! It's by no chance that you had that kind of action but rather a type of "luck" that you have created for yourself. I think you'll hear alot of "I wish, I wish" over stories like yours but know that we know it is by no accident that you get to hunt where you do and kill the deer you do. What's motivating for me is that I know I can have that too...just depends how bad I want it!

I'd blow more sunshine up your *%#>? but I gotta go start knocking on doors to get some better spots....Thanks...Ryan

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »
Awesome deer and an awesome time in the woods!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 07:28:00 AM »
And the crowd favorite, "Hurley".

Don't feel too sorry for Barry that he doesn't have another buck tag until December, since he used up his first tag on "Burly"

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 07:29:00 AM »
Yup, we appreciate hearing this kinda stuff!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 07:30:00 AM »
Wow!!!!! Great bucks
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »
WOW! Just to see one in a season would be something but three in a single day, WOW! WOW! WOW!
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »
Yeah.  And I hunt PA:)  LOL!  Leaving today for a week upstate to hunt.  Finally get a chance to get out.  Couldn't decide on which bows to take, so I grabbed 5 of them.  The others will have to sit this one out.  Wish me luck!

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »
Can you imagine how much fun that would be?!!!

I bet with that many big bucks cruising, certain areas begin to stink like a buck.

Please don`t hesitate to tell us ANYTHING! Anytime you get the urge to type, just let it all hang out...let your freak flag fly. We love to hear whatever you got to say.  :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©