3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Last of the Pups...on the Tracking Board (Mom & Daughter Picture added)  (Read 742 times)

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tonight was my last hunt til heading out to Iowa this coming week.  Cash (my pup out of Tilly) got to complete the circle with her first blood trail.  All the rest of the pups have done numerous tracks.  It's not so much Cash's fault as I haven't had any opportunities til tonight.  Pictures tomorrow...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Last of the Pups...on the Tracking Board (Mom & Daughter Picture added)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 04:29:00 AM »
:clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 04:57:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :coffee: .............
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 07:37:00 AM »
I can't wait to see the Pictures.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
I spent the first week of Massachusetts deer season fly fishing New Brunswick for Atlantic salmon...I know Life is full of decisions & priorities.  Then my son came home as he was getting ready to head to France as an exchange ski patroller...Crested Butte, CO to Courchevel, France.  I've only been able to get out a few times. I almost didn't go out yesterday as I was trying to get the yard set for winter since I'm headed to Iowa on Thursday.

Finally after putting all the deck chairs and flower pots away, I got in my stand at 4pm.  I was shooting one of John McCullough's new prototype carbon Griffins 45#@28.  It's very smooth and plenty of speed.  I figured since I was so late, I decide to take a practice shot for Iowa.  I picked out a leaf at what I thought was 20 yards and put a hex-head arrow just touching it.  The I pulled my range finder out (19 yards) so I was happy on both accounts...my shot & yardage guess.  If nothing else I was ready for Iowa and thoughts of Wensel bucks dancing in my head.

Then at 5:15 a nice doe came out.  I spotted her at 50 yards walking parallel to me.  She turned and walked straight to me.  Then proceeded to sniff my practice arrow on the ground.  Then she turned broad side to me.  5:30 is sunset and I'd already put my white arrow on.  It is amazing how that arrow stands out the last half hour.  My shot @ 20 yards was just as good as my practice shot hitting her right behind the the shoulder.  As she ran off I could hear crashing.  Most that know me also know I don't have very good hearing none on my right but my hearing aid was turned up & she ran away on my left side   :)  

Molly convinced me to take Cash out to track her since she hasn't had a real blood trail yet and Tilly already had some amazing tracks in the past.  I had found blood right off when I got out of the stand so I knew where I wanted to start Cash.  Molly had her on a 30 foot lead as I was looking for the blood spot but Cash had already decided/smelled where to track was.  I kept telling Molly to hold her until I found the blood...but Cash was already pulling.  Once she was on the track, it it only took 5 minutes to find my mature doe.  Cash was now a certified Tracking Dog just like all the rest of the pups from Tilly's litter!

As a post script: when I got home and got the tracking harness for Cash, Tilly was  going nuts.  She just knew there was tracking to be done and it was her job not Cash's.  Cash on the other hand had no idea what all the commotion was about...she does now   :thumbsup:    Yes I did take Tilly back and let her track the doe.  She just air scented it and pulled me right to the spot.  That is the fun of Tracking Dogs.  

Hopefully in Iowa, Tilly will be going for a few more walks in the woods...Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
That is a horse of a doe!  

Make sure you do some ranging BEFORE you see the Iowa bucks...the are going to appear closer than the are!

Those tracking dogs are so neat.  Good luck in Iowa Doc.

BTW, what model is that headlamp?

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
Tippit brand broadhead?

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
OUTSTANDING CONGRATS   :thumbsup:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 10:10:00 AM »
Way to go Cash...congrats Doc.

Beau will be up here next week and during Thanksgiving. Hoping to get him a few tracks on deer and hogs during that time.

Good luck in Iowa!

Worked Koa on a 14 hour old trail that led to a gut pile from a doe I shot.

First time in a long time Koa had issues. There was so much fresh deer scent and sign that he went haywire on me.

We ended up finishing the track with a couple of call backs. I take most of the blame for this as I have not had him out for his run a couple times a week to get this kind of stuff out of his system.

People do not realize that these little dogs are hounds and need to be exercised constantly.

Starting this week it is back to two runs a week (1 fun day and 1 retriever and obedience training) with a third day for a training trial.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
Congratulations on your success Jeff. It's good to see your smiling face. You done good. Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
way to go Doc bd

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
Very nice doe Doc!  Good luck in Iowa!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
Nice job Jeff.  Hope to see pics of you with a big Iowa buck here soon.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
Congrats Doc, and best of luck to you in Iowa!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
Doc,   :thumbsup:  for Cash. Good luck and keep us posted on Iowa, is Tom Phillips tagging along with ya? See you at the "Changing of the Guard" in La Tuque for Bear Quest V.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »
Nice doe and bueatiful dog!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
Thanks everyone!  Ya'll got to try Trackin' Dogs.  I always thought I was a good tracker as my cousin & I are the only ones in the family that aren't color blind.  Therefore we did All the Tracking for the Wisconsin crew.

Last night I couldn't even find the start of the blood trail that I thought I had marked getting out of my stand.  Cash didn't even care where the start was as she picked the scent before even getting close to the start area.  Tilly knew were the deer was getting out of the truck.  They keep reminding me...Trust your Dog!

Steve O,
1) The head lamp is a LED Lenser H7.  They put out 150 lumens with 3 AAA batteries and are just about as bright as the Wensel lights.  With that on my head and the Wensel in hand, I now track at night with Sun Glasses on  :)   Oh and they are now lower in price cause a newer/brighter model is coming out.  I can't take credit for finding it...bro JC turned me on to them.

2) No Team Tippit broadheads   :(   I gave them all away at bear camp and have been too busy this fall to forge up some new ones.  Going with single blade Magnus 225 grains.  They aren't single bevel and tempered just so...but Dang they still pass through even with a wimpy ole man 45# bow  :rolleyes:  Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
Congrats to you and your pup Doc!   :thumbsup:    :archer:

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
Nice doe and cute pup. Good Dog.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
Congrats Doc! Good luck in IA!

your broadheads are being put to good use..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©