3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Colorado elk hunt  (Read 1025 times)

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
Colorado elk hunt
« on: January 10, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »
Well this coming fall the brothers and I are finally going on a hunt together.  All 4 of us chasing wapiti in colorado north of Steamboat.   Any suggestions?  I hear the winter is bad this year there.  I have gotten a 4x4 in the past that my son called in, the other 3 are scoreless on them.  2 out of the 3 have been there with 1 first timer.   We will be hunting the first 2 weeks.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Colorado elk hunt
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »
The winter has only been bad on the front range.  Steamboat area is at best avg snowfall, my guess is below avg for this time of year.  Are you hunting an OTC unit?  Public land?
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »
Yes - OTC.  161 Around the Hog park guard station.  Had a bear come in to my cow calling the first year there. (like 14 years ago).  Been there about 6 times over all.  The plan is to do some stand hunting also over any sign we can find.   Any one ever had any luck with using game cameras to help pin point some movement?  I am trying to talk the guys into a digital camera each.  Take a laptop out for viewing the cards in camp, etc..

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
Good luck out there.   I  don't get to go west this year.  Oh well maybe next year.
ChuckC

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 06:00:00 PM »
The best advice for an OTC area is to get away from roads and atv trails.  A game camera might work for a wallow but you can usually figure out recent activity just based on sign.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
Here is another good thing to know. That area gets pounded by grouse hunters when the grouse season opens. Hunt before the grouse season opens. If you are then when the multitudes arrive on their atvs with shot guns in hand ( and i do mean multitudes) you will wish you were else where!
Make a life, not a living

Offline Sneakypete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 07:22:00 PM »
I second kadbow. Get away from the sound of motors! Not only better hunting (success) but better hunting (overall enjoyment and feeling of being in wild country). I'll admit a bias against trail cams in general, as I believe hunting should be based on skill and effort, not anything we can buy. But from an unbiased practical p.o.v., I'd say they're next to worthless for elk in rut, because the animals are so very unpredictable then. And after 14 years, you should be giving Us advice! Good luck.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »
Awesome!!! The best of luck to you this coming year on your elk hunt. Stay safe and have fun. I know the first year I get some time free in the fall I'll be out in Colorado chasing elk. This just gets me more pumped. Take care, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©