3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Not a good hunting year for me  (Read 591 times)

Offline Chief55

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Not a good hunting year for me
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Don Stokes:
Kenneth, you might try hunting through the midday hours when the moon is full. I believe there's more activity in the middle of the day when the nights are bright.
I totally agree with this. I have seen a lot of Deer between 11am and 2pm on a full moon especially when on public land with other hunters going home late in the morning for lunch. They'll kick the dear up when they are walking out, talking, slamming their doors and driving out. Deer will get up and move around some about every 6 hours anyway according to wildlife biologists reports that I have read. I like to start hunting at 10am on a full moon.

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
There is certainly merit to the moon theories, but don't let that discourage you.   That moon business doesn't rule the world or the deer either so get out and hunt when you can and forget about all of that.   None of us would hunt if we worried about that.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
Deer have to feed at regular intervals as well as bed down to chew their cud. No matter what moon phase it is, this basic biological need is the same. Only difference is that they will adjust their routine around the full moon, and I don't care what studies have shown on deer with collars. The full moon as well as the dark of the moon does definitely effect when deer movement peaks.
I've read a number of articles on the subject and those questions were asked to the guys who hunt for a living making videos and many agreed that they hunt the mornings leading up to a full moon....mid day during a full moon....and evenings after a full moon.

Although this time of year and the concurrence with your rifle season I would say that you should plan on all day sits. The buck of your dreams could pop over the ridge at any time and you have just got to be there......just don't be dreaming about him when he decides to move your direction or the snoring may run him to the next county.   :)
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©